Eddie Conroy

Yellow Pages
« on: May 04, 2005, 03:40:04 pm »
Aren't they wonderful. Spent a mega amount to get in the Gatwick edition only to find that I am last but one in the section (just in front of Supreme) and surrounded by three ads for Churchill Insurance.
Bearing in mind that I am going under my Surname I had some expectation to be nearer the front. Yell are sheltering behind their terms and conditions i. e no guarantee on where you will be placed. Told me if I had a smaler and therefore cheaper ad I would be near the front!
It is so far away from where I would have expected to see it that I am going to complain to trading standards.
I know Yellow pages have featured on this board before but have any of you guys won against them and are there any tactics I should use?
Eddie

Everbrite

Re: Yellow Pages
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 04:02:43 pm »
No i find Yellow Pages to expensive and useless.

ian richards

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 05:49:46 pm »

I did have a friend that was a Sales Director at YP.

He stitched me up just to get the sale >:(

He is a friend no longer >:(

I was going to his wedding in August, now i'm not >:(

Ian

Steve Chapman

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 05:51:38 pm »
have used yellow pages a few times in the past and found they were a waste of money, hardly any calls at all, much better to use local papers and magazines imho >:(

Matt Read

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 05:54:03 pm »
Have you complained eddie ? i used to complain every year and get 25 % of my fee back ...until i was shown a way of getting to the front but not looking cheap and cheerful !(not by yp themselves i might add)
Matt

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 06:28:57 pm »
just had a call from local yell pages for next advert , so i asked him can he guarentee front positions, he said yes for this year only. so i said i will pay after i see it in top spot, funny he did not seem keen , i wonder why?
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

Big_Fish

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 06:34:33 pm »
The only way to get to the front is either call yourself something like AA111 Carpet Cleaning or use your own name with as many capital A's in front of it as there are adverts in front of you + 1.
eg. If there were 21 adverts in front of yours, call yourself
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Blah Blah Carpet Cleaning and you will be first!

It is complete cr_p, looks awful and doesn't really get much more return.

Thompson Local place adverts in size/ price order, much fairer but as we have only just started with Thompsons I can't say what kind of response.

We have the tiniest ad in YP now for reference only. They are a waste of money and you can spend far less than a YP ad in other marketing areas with a bigger more profitable response.

Nicky

ianharper

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 06:43:44 pm »
Hi Eddie

What type of offer did you have?

what was your USP.

What reason did you give a prospect to call you?

Find out what works and then use that. education, learn from other that have had better luck. there will be someone in a worse position than yourself and making more money.

Yellow page reps are just that media space sales people they know nothing about what makes you and your business unique  because thats what you and it are, unique. and only you can tell that story to you prospects.

Send me your email and i'll send you a copy of my new yell advert. I am going to spend 5k with them and i would spend more if i could get another van on the road before they go to print.

Why did you go under surname? all you need to do is open bank account in say "a1 Best clean"
prospect dont care who you are, thay care about whats in it for them. thats where the offer comes in.

take a look at your local yell under carpet cleaners and just see if you had got under 1st best clean say with a offer where you would be, and how much happer you would be now.

dont ever let reps tell you what you can do, push them and do business on your terms. it works for me.
I tell them as soon as they walk in to shut up, and then i instruct them what i want.

What could they posable teach me? every coment that i have ever heard about them is bad, so why listern.

You should have posted first, before placing your advert. I am sure you would have had lots of help. your not on your own thats what these forums are about.

The problem that you now have is not the money it cost for the advert, its the lost business that will really P*** you off.

How about to make up for this lost business you start to look for new ways to market your business. there is an old saying "that its better to have a 100 ways to find a customer than just one way to find 100".

Lots of great information products out in the market place. the best way is to find one thats being used in a differant service and then change the ideas for carpet cleaning, as this will cause you to approach prospects from a differant angle. where do you think buy one room get one free comes from. from retail.
ideas are everywhere.

you could just get a differant phone code (remote call forwarding) area and start to drop leaflets in this area. then you will be laying the ground for extra van. and next time yell come nocking you will be able to go into two books.

I could go on, but i'll shut up now

Respectfully.........Ian Harper

Bob Allen

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 06:47:14 pm »
Gets my back up too
apparantly if you have ...(dots) on front of your name you get to the front.
Im sure these people dont answer the phone by saying
"hello dot dot dots 1st A1 cleaning services"
should put them all to the back
Bob Allen

Everbrite

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 08:17:03 pm »
In my area about half if not more YP goes into the bin without the householder even looking at them i know because i always ask the customer. Like most of you guys i always want to know where my jobs come from and YP is way down the list so i do not bother with them now.

ABLECLEAN

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 08:50:32 pm »
This is suprising because I Only use Yellow Pages and I get a brilliant return. Incidently, I get peed off with the way they position the ads. I came up with my company name so that I would be at the front of the classification and I have several guys in front of me using numbers and dots to get in front so maybe next year I will do the same!!

Phil Marlor

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 11:09:58 pm »

The YP sales rep told me they would be stopping all that ..... and 1111 etc before the company name next year. (not sure why it couldnt be this year).

My company name is Deep Clean and I am on page 4 and companies begining with 'A' are also on page 4 of 6 due to the many companies using dots & numbers before their name.

As for YP I think its crap and this is the last year I am going to spend as much as I have recently.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

jacko

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 11:18:32 pm »
Missed the boat on YP when i started up. Got in Thompson though with a fair response so far. Am listed (enhanced) on Yell.Com - had a handful of jobs from here. Fact is i am and have been busy enough without YP.

However a couple of Custards have made the comment " When we got your flyer" or "When we saw your ad in the paper we checked out YP and could'nt find you. "  I just say that i am curently in the Thompsons as it is more local.

AJB

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 11:26:12 pm »
I've never used YP as i thought overly expensive,
tried thomson local for one year just about paid for ad.

stopped thomson after one year and still get same number of jobs from free single line entry as a previous customer.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

dave401uk

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 04:17:27 pm »
yellow pages works yr in yr out for me,but i do agree with you all on the dots and numbers thingy!

my company is Allclean, and i am page 5 and ive got every letter in the book before mine,and loads of dots, now having spent £4700. on the add this does p~~~~ me off

Dave
Its never a pass of the wand,just a master stroke.

bennymon

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 05:49:38 pm »
hi yellow pages has been great for me i recon over 80% of my work is from it  :)

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 05:56:25 pm »
I am still seething over the positioning of of the ad. On the positive side I have orders for £155 of work originating from yp and the  newdirectory is still being delivered,
Thanks to all for helpful advice. Ian sent me a copy of his ad, which is a belter
Eddie

Gavin Reardon

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 07:46:25 am »
Hi All

To be fair! as much as I hate yp it is a must unless you have been going 15 years or more.

I do get alot of work from it

Regards Gavin
Gavin Reardon IICRC / NCCA

www.ace-cleaning.co.uk

magic_carpet

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 09:10:54 am »
i,m right at the front and i still say yp is a waste of money.i think of it as an aid for my referrals so they can look up my number if my card has been lost..still the old silver tongue comes in handy every now and then..but really not that good of respones from yp..word of mouth is cheap you know!!!!
off to work now......................jim

therapist

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 10:00:31 am »
How the hell can anyone think a Y/P advert at a cost of £10 -£20 per week is expensive!!!!!!!!!!!

A similar sized advert in a local paper would cost £50 - £100----- FOR ONE WEEK----

You might not have the best position, but, you are there for a full year in every house in your area.

I never advertised in Y/P last year, but from the FREE listing, we still continue to get at least one job per week.

Local papers do bring in a high volume of work, but only at the lower end, and for the LOW PRICED work

That,s been my experience over the past 20 years

r m