derek west

Re: Hows work at the mo
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 10:21:09 pm »
i could easily do 3 suites a day. don't find it that hard but then, i do eat spuds for my tea ;D

3 times £90 = £270
x 5 days =
£1350.
beats stacking shelves
derek

ps.. £90 is for an easy clean suite, big baggy cushions or over sized and then i put my price up.

DanielWelford

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 08:39:49 am »
Hi Mark

I wouldnt really worry about what others think, or indeed bothering justifying yourself. You do what works for you. If your punters keep returning then your quality must be okay.

Where I work there isnt much money about and my prices are lower still than yours, but I regularly earn @ £1.5k a week (mind you that is a 6 day week) and a lot of my work is recommendations and returning customers. Its not what you charge for a job but how you do it. I have many past customers say that they have had items cleaned before, for several times more than what i charge, but the quality has been p poor!!

Dan

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:43 am »
Hi Clinton

Yeah that's a good idea, bet you are looking forward to getting it, make you more productive and make more dosh.

Derek

If you were local I'd give you all my suite work and pay you £90 a pop. ;D

derek west

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 09:03:05 am »
i'd take it as well,
beggars can't be choosers
derek

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 09:07:18 am »
You could fly down in your heli-mount. ;D

I've certainly seen a drop in response across all marketing sources. You just have to do more of what works and find new ways to fill the gap.

robert meldrum

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2009, 10:51:54 am »
An old bit of marketing advice for quiet times........whatever you normally do.......double it !

markpowell

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 03:36:53 pm »
Yes Clinton, Tm will be on the road 2 weeks On friday, will post piccies once its up and running.
Can i just ask, you guys that think Upholstery is hard work, what job you were doing in a previous life?
Mark

SccS

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 03:44:58 pm »
Mark when you say you deliver 200 leaflets a day do you knock on all the doors and hand them the leaflet personally or just put them through the letter boxes?

Cheers

Andy
South Coast Cleaning Services

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2009, 04:55:52 pm »
'Hard work' is just a perception.

I used to train 20 hrs a week in my spare time to run Iron man Triathlons, but to me it wasn't really hard work.

Cleaning a suite isn't 'hard work' it just seems hard work in my head relative to cleaning a carpet.

The other factor is what you charge. if I got £250 for a suite then I wouldn't find it 'hard work'.

Given the choice would you clean a carpet or clean a suite?

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2009, 06:48:10 pm »

Cleaning a suite isn't 'hard work' it just seems hard work in my head relative to cleaning a carpet.

Mark

Thats what I meant

Steve

C A Payne

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 07:19:24 pm »
i hate cleaning suites too!! like you steve. i always out price any call that comes in regarding suite cleaning. don't arf rag me though when the customer agrees to the price :( i know for the rest of the day i'm gonna be bent double like a chimp :o charlie

derek west

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 07:30:41 pm »

Given the choice would you clean a carpet or clean a suite?

thats not a fair comparison mike.

what would you rather clean a suite for X amount of money or carpets to the value of X.
X being the amount you charge for a suite
sound like a maths teacher now. ;D
derek

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2009, 07:32:20 pm »
You'd have hated my job today, 6 sofa's (Removable 2 back cushions and a large seat cusion... Piece of cake!) bench seat for up to 20 people and a mish mash of 7 single easy chairs and two double's..... 9 hours and I'm knackered!

They want me to do it on a regular basis too as they were so chuffed... I'll see doing a 3 piece suite as a doddle now!

I actually prefer doing suites.... But I am a weirdo..... so a Mosher once told me  :-\

derek west

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2009, 07:38:35 pm »
got three corner benches in the pub i'm doing a week monday, can't wait
derek

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2009, 07:39:31 pm »
I charge £ 60 for a 2 seater sofa - in the time it takes me do it properly I could earn £ 100 cleaning carpets, thats why I dislike cleaning upholstery and thats what I mean when I say its too much like hard work.

Steve

markpowell

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 07:54:24 pm »
A 2 seater would take me an hour, make no wonder you would rarther clean carpets if your doing £100 an hour Steve
Mark

markpowell

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2009, 07:55:18 pm »
Mark when you say you deliver 200 leaflets a day do you knock on all the doors and hand them the leaflet personally or just put them through the letter boxes?

Cheers

Andy

No door knocking just popping through the letterbox
Mark

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2009, 07:59:25 pm »
A 2 seater would take me an hour, make no wonder you would rarther clean carpets if your doing £100 an hour Steve
Mark

You'll have to give me some tips Mark - Takes me more than an hour  :)

derek west

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2009, 08:13:50 pm »
how i'd do it
sheets down
remove cushions
vac down the back and sides
prespray both cushions
then agitate with soft brush
leave to dwell while....
prespraying carcuss
then agitate with soft brush
set up truckmount
attach drimaster
set up room dryer (on its side)
extract cushions
extract carcuss
place room dryer on carcuss with cushions around
pack trucky away
pack dryer away
get paid

for a 2 seater, about 1hr to 1hr 30 depending on, if i have to get a few stains out or re do a cushion if not good enough.

no i don't vac fabric, and nothing you guys say will change my mind on it, really don't see the point with a trucky and a drimaster but i'm sure some will say otherswise.  8)LAH LAH LAH i can't hear you LAH LAH LAH LAH LAH LAH ;D
derek

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2009, 08:16:36 pm »
I don't mind doing them in places where there's lots of other things to clean and they like keeping them clean. The big picture is if you do a good job on the suite you are in there, but turn it down you can't really expect to pick and choose cleaning their carpets.