will_turton

hot box
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:32:22 pm »
  am looking for a hot box or somethin similar to turn the heat of the truckmount in2 steam for hard floors, i know tec clean do one, but am looking to experiment to see if the extra heat make a differents, anyone have somethin along these lines not in use,

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: hot box
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:43:10 pm »
Is it worth going to a pressure washer guy and getting him to put you one together with the 2nd hand parts they have? or get a pressure washer from ebay and taking it out of one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KARCHER-HDS-STEAM-CLEANER-SPARES_W0QQitemZ180325686963QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item180325686963&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Shaun

colin thomas

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:41:19 pm »
bill, can you run steam through solution hoses & wands without causing damage, thought that might be too hot?

colin
colin thomas

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:58:43 pm »
I use a hot box all the time fitted to My T/M bought it 8yrs ago, it cost £750

In the last 8yrs  i can only remember seeing 2 other for sale on EBay they are very  rare second hand.

the best new I've seen is a Porttitecknica (sp) but the Tech-clean is a good one and very compact (mine is massive) most pressure washer companies can but the frame to make a hot box.

T/M solution line will handle steam.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

will_turton

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:10:48 pm »
 mike does its it run on lpg or diesel,

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:49 am »
it runs on Diesel but it also needs an electric connection so you'll need to run a extension lead into the house.

I use mine at about 30% of its potential, it will go upto steam and it will handle 3gl/min at this temp'

the only lpg water heaters I've seen are the Little Giant heaters I've seen in the USA

Dave_Lee

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:48:54 pm »
Why the need for such heat as steam. Ive only been cleaning tile and grout for a short time, but am getting plenty of referrals and great results on floors from Ceramic, Limestone, Travertine and Porcelaine. I am only using a plain hardly hot water rinse as the prespray and agitation does all the work of softening the grease and grime. Any stubborn build up of grease in the grout that hasnt been removed first time, is easily removed with just a second spray and agitation.
The other thing to bear in mind, is that the biggest asset in cleaning tile and grout is pressure, but the more absorbant the stone the less pressure you use
 i.e. 1200 - 1500 psi for Ceramic etc but down to 800 psi for Limestone and Clay. Any higher for the latter can force the water right through the stone.
With that in mind the hotter the rinse the more absorbant it becomes, so surely, if using a really hot rinse it would be neccesary to reduce pressure.
Since pressure is a vital ingrediant, that would be defeating the object, even thought it could be argued that the extra temps would compensate for the lesser pressure - I cant see the point of changing the process when pressure will do the job in the first place. Or perhaps I am completely wrong?
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

will_turton

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 05:40:32 pm »
 dave what the hell are you on about, stop adding 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 05:44:01 pm »
www.thetilecleaners.co.uk/thetilecleanersexamples/thetilecleanersiimages/thetilecleanersimages.asp

Scroll down to a patio pic also look at the equipment they have a burner.

Shaun

gwrightson

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 05:56:07 pm »
shaun ,
in your opinion  , or anybody elses come to that,  I was considering running my water through my hotbox on my  t/m diverting this into my water vessle that feeds my pressure washer , hence giving me hot water. The reason been i would have my t/m running anyway for the vaccuum , and my p/w gives alot more pressure than the t/m . i only run my t/m at half revs anyway , dont want to bray the boll**ks of it.
Do you think this would work, or could you forsee any problems.

Now its just a thought ,
geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 06:08:47 pm »
Usually Geoff the hot box is after the pump to save burning the inners out of it.

You'd need to find a way of feeding the water from teh washer through the burner and out that way.

Shaun

gwrightson

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 06:20:16 pm »
hmm ,
cant quite get my head round that one Shaun, but i,m thinking  ;)
what you are saying is I shouldnt put the hot water directly into my pressure washer , is that what you mean ?  would the pump on p/w not stand the heat? they are ceramic pumps.
geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

derek west

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 06:29:38 pm »
geoff
i was told to run t/m at full revs as this is its optimum running speed, running it at half revs puts a strain on it or something like that.
derek

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 06:34:34 pm »
I think on Boxxers that's right Derek.

Geoff that's right you shouldn't put very hot water through your PW.

Shaun

gwrightson

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 06:36:11 pm »
Derick,

I think you will find it depends on your t/m 
not sure what you have derick.

Geoff

ok shaun thats put the mockers on that then , you posted whilst i was typing

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 06:37:07 pm »
Geoff your burner coil is only rated to 2000psi it won't take the pressure of your 3500psi Honda unit

your pump will only take temps' upto 60degrees.

the only hotbox i know that will take 3500psi  is the tech-clean unit, because they specifically designed it to work with thier P/W

gwrightson

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 06:40:05 pm »
Didnt I just know ,

tks mike and shaun , looks like you have saved me a bit in repairs ;D

but i will be ok using vac from t/m and pressure from p/w.yes

geoff

Mike Halliday

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 06:49:56 pm »
Geoff yep thats OK, just remember to keep emptying your waste tank as it will fill up very quick

Dave_Lee

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »
Billy,
I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I am open to ideas, I was just making the point, in all the educational material that I have studied on Tile & Grout cleaning there is no requirement for excess heat, and my own experiences confirm that. Maybe as Shauns post shows, it is a different scenario for patios and exterior stone.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Mike Halliday

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 08:36:08 pm »

will_turton

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 10:05:23 pm »
i got one mike, cheers mate