6 (4.6%)
Low moisture method
8.4%
11 (8.4%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: March 03, 2005, 03:09:22 pm

Re: How do you clean carpets POLL
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 08:31:01 pm »

Pre Vacuuming will give you better results, plus prolong the life of vac motors. I have seen many horror stories where cleaners vac up glass and cigarettes with their extraction machine and wonder why the vacs go. Please whatever method or machine or chemical you use PRE-VAC!

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 08:34:00 pm »
NIce one Lee ;D

Us old Prochem boys stick together ;D ;)

Nick Holman Prochem 1990-92 :P
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

Doug Holloway

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 08:47:57 pm »
Nick,

When are we going to see you on t.v.

I always enjoyed darts and used to play the odd England player myself , always lost though.

Cheers,

Doug

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 08:50:43 pm »
Who did you play?

Got some great players from Essex

Kev painter

Al headman

colin lloyd

wayne Mardel

the last 2 are my generation

done them both on the same day when i played for London

Surreys No1 Dart player

Doug Holloway

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 08:53:53 pm »
Nick,

I was never that good , only played in pubs .

Bristow thrashed me once.

Also played Tony Sontag and a couple of others who I can't remember.

Cheers,

Doug

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 08:55:15 pm »
Tony Sontag a blast from the past he was England

And a magnum lookalike aswell!!
Surreys No1 Dart player

Doug Holloway

Dave Parry

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2005, 11:21:39 pm »
So Pre vaccing is not to get a better result but to prolong the life of your machines vac motors?
I presume this applies to porty users, as t/m users have at least one filter on the waste tank, 2 if they use a hydro filter as most do. like Bryan and I said it makes no difference in the vast majority of cases. Complete waste of time.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

woodman

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2005, 08:15:23 am »
Sorry Dave I don't agree

It makes a great deal of diffirence, removing soil through dry extraction is a vital part of the cleaning process prior to wet extraction.

The amount of times I've come across carpets that have been HWE only either by TM or Portable that are left in poor condition as a result is too many to mention.

You must have seen how low profile carpets look after just HWE cleaning.

I agree if your doing a quick splash & dash,for not much money and the client is not particularly bothered about results then you can get away with it.

Otherwise IMO its a must.

Bryan H

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2005, 11:43:58 am »
Nick,

I spell Bryan with a 'Y' not to be different or 'posh' but purely because that is the way it is spelled on my birth certificate.  A name or the spelling thereof is meaningless, it does not affect who or what we are, and was of course not of our choosing.   :-\

Woodman,

I am sure you are not suggesting that because I rarely vac I am operating as a 'splash & dash' and that neither myself or my clients care about the results.  This is far from the truth, & it is unlikely that I would have survived, and moderately prospered where it the case.   :'(

Those who pre-vac & those who don't must agree to disagree.  all views arrived at over time by personal experience are equally valid.  You just need to be happy and confident in the way that you yourself operate.  If something happens at some stage to change your views, then you are free to change your modus operandi.

I always said I would refuse to allow myself to be drawn into this type of discussion.  I am annoyed with myself for being sucked in.    Must have too much time on my hands >:(

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2005, 12:54:45 pm »
Pre vaccing with a good quality, well maintained twin motor vacuum cleaner will not only remove dry particulate soil, but also open and lift the pile, making penetration of the pre-spray and extraction of the soil easier. It is accepted that the more dry soil removed, the less water and chemicals required. This has an effect on the quality of the job and also environmental consequences too.

I have a classic personal experience of the advantages of pre-vaccing. In a previous life  :-\ I didn't pre-vac  :o  A 4 bedroom house I clean regularly would be an 08.30 start and a 16.00 finish. When I started to pre-vac, it took until 10.30 (including strategical placing of furniture) before I turned on the HWE. 2 hours lost?  No way. This 4 bedroom house was now finished by 15.30 and the carpets dry much quicker. Why? because I use less water the carpets dry quicker. Because I use less water I don't spend as much time at the kitchen sink. Because I use less water, I dump in the loo less.

Water + dry soil = MUD
MUD is heavy and more difficult to remove.

I'll repeat what's been said by me and others in the past.  Madam thought I'd already cleaned the carpet when all I'd done is pre-vacced it properly. Won't need much chemical/wet cleaning then will it :)

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2005, 03:38:36 pm »
Calm down BRYAN ::)

Its just my opinion ;)
Surreys No1 Dart player

Ian Rochester

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2005, 04:05:12 pm »
Going back a few entries to Nick and Doug, I saw a notice last night in our local whilst watching the Newcastle match, Eric Bristow is coming to our local for an exhibition against local team players!!  Living on his past legend do you think!!  I'm sure they could have got someone a bit more current than him for a quick throw from the ockey!

woodman

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2005, 05:21:22 pm »
No Bryan

I wasn't suggesting you are a Splash & Dash operator ::) what I was saying is if all that is required is a quick splash round by the client for what ever reason then the pre-vac could be left out, I have done this myself for a couple of clients in the past who just wanted a flash over with the wand to tart things up before aunt or nan arrives and aren't much bothered about a full clean.

So I think that makes me a splash and dash doesn't it  ;D

mark_roberts

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2005, 05:40:33 pm »
I removed 1/4 of a bag of heavy gritty soil from a large HSL this morning after I raked it with a groom.  It was a 80/20 in a communal area of a rental property, so was bascially neglected.

I do  prevac most carpets and charge extra if its neglected.  I use package pricing and most will pick the vacuum option.  However theres times when the filter on the Sebo shows very very little dry soil removed and so in these cases IMO prevaccing is a waste of time esp on polypropolene carpets.

If using Texatherm its essential but again some low profile carpets dont give up much soil.

Have never done a side by side test but it makes sence and its another marketing tool.

Mark

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2005, 05:44:29 pm »
 "Because I use less water, I dump in the loo less. "
Ken......That is way too much detail  :o

Mike Halliday

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2005, 05:49:09 pm »
whenever anyone talks about not pre-vaccing I know someone is going to come up with the old wifes tale that water + dry soil= mud ::)

mud is what my son gets on his football boots on a saturday morning, to say if you don't pre-vac you will create mud in the carpet is nonsense.

go into the garden, dig up your flowerbeds and empty it all over the carpet then you might create mud, but the amount of dust & dry soil in a carpet won't.

Mike

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2005, 05:54:54 pm »
I disagree Mike, but see where you're coming from. So I'll re-phrase. Without pre-vaccing, you'll need to use more water because your soil will be muddier ;)

Safe and happy mud-pieing :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2005, 09:49:05 pm »
D i r t
You may be wondering what household dirt is composed of.
You really don’t wanna know, but since you asked:
First, it’s about 75-80 percent dead human skin cells. We mortals slough off millions of skin cells daily and this shedded material makes up the disproportionate portion of “vacuum cleaner” dirt. The rest of it is hair, animal dander, dust mites (another whole scary thing to think about); and the smallest portions being pollen, dirt, sand and earth tracked or blown in from outdoors. Bet you thought it was the other way around...

Shaun

Chris Bailey

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2005, 12:39:16 pm »
First bit of kit out of the van, come commercial or domestic is me Sebo - always

That's the way I was taught and as previous comments, I want my HWE machine to last.

In the last couple of weeks I have had comments from custies about the amount of equipment needed for carpet cleaning.  Obviously making a good impression then ;D

Chris
Carpet Care

Leicester