woodman

The most wax Ive ever cleaned
« on: January 12, 2005, 06:42:12 pm »
I have spent  two half days at a large church cleaning the carpets and removing the wax that has built up over a period of time from services held.

It was every where and I only agreed to do it on the understanding that they knew it wasn't all going to come out which they did.

It was real spooky being in an ancient church all on your own having to go down the the crypt to get your water.Yesterday I was in a world of mine removing the wax for what seemed like hours when a I glanced up and sitting in one of the pews staring right at me was a little old lady :o.I nearly lept out of my skin ;D

She shouldn't have been there as the church had closed for cleaning but I couldn't ask her to leave any way she went after a short while and I made sure all the doors were locked.

I cleaned the carpets using texatherm and removed most of the wax using a steam iron and eco spotter and finished up today to the organist practising on what must be one of the largest church organs in the country ( I don't know as I am no expert) the pipes were huge and in perfect working order.Must say it was very impressive echoing all round the church.

I wanted to (but didn't have the guts) ask the old boy how long he'd been playing with his organ ;D as he was something of an expert.

jacko

Re: The most wax Ive ever cleaned
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 09:22:26 pm »
Did a similar job in a Parish Church last November. It was a 2 day job starting on a Monday. On the Sunday they had had a special Churches Together event called a Taize service. This involved lots of candles. Needless to say i got enough wax out of the Carpet Tiles to supply Madam Tusaads!

Also at the back of this very popular Church they have Tea and Coffee at the end of the services. The yellow Carpet Tiles were brown with spots of yellow in! It all came out though.

On day two 9 Hikers complete with muddy boots desended on this ancient building for a look round! I made them wait in the vestibule while i dashed to the van to get 9 pairs of overshoes!

Dynafoam

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 09:48:19 pm »
Jacko,

How much profit did you make on the overshoes?  ;D

jacko

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 10:07:00 pm »
John, as a SOLE trader i had to FOOT the bill! At least the walkers did TOE the line. Should have HIKED up the price a bit.... :D    OK OK i'll put a SOCK in it!