Mike Halliday

who is the most powerful man in .....
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:00:44 pm »
..... British carpet cleaning?

who has the most influence,.... who is the most trusted,.... who is the most popular,.... who can change how we clean.

I think there is only one man who if he said he couldn't do without a certain product, I would buy that product the very next day and that's Derek Bolton.

so I'll nominate Derek

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

*paul_moss

Re: who is the most powerful man in .....
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:04:29 pm »
I would have to go with Vanguard.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

stevegunn

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:08:28 pm »
Paul Pearce for me the man has so much knowledge,after doing the ncca course he gave us his contact details with the imortal words if in doubt ring me.

John Gregory

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:10:11 pm »
Nick at solutions,   If he told me raining i wound go outside and have a look

john

Liahona

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 10:10:48 pm »
Mike,  I dont know too many in this industry in Britain but if you go internationally then let me know.  

John Kelly has been the most helpful to date but most everyone I have met have been helpful.  Mind you there are an awful lot of knuckleheads around too.

Best, Dave.

P.S.  Chris Netherton knows his stuff too and has helped me out on many occasions.....

lands

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 10:12:03 pm »
Paul Pearce all day long

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 10:14:06 pm »
Dave who is the most powerfull in the States? 6 yrs ago I would have said joe Polish

Mike

John Gregory

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 10:15:24 pm »
Dave Ingram,

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 10:17:44 pm »
There are many,the ones you can trust arnt beholdent to others or companies.
Over the past few years the people who have been straight,upfront and honest are Mike Halliday,Dave Ingrame,Dave Leona, all tell it as it is.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

stevegunn

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:21:34 pm »
Suppliers 1.John Kelly 2.Matt at cleansmart
Fellow cleaners 1.Mike Halliday 2.Shaun Ashmore 3.Dave Ingram 4.Paul King 5.mossy 

Forgot about Lee Grundy changed my whole outlook about finishing late when he is back home at 1.30 with his feet up 8)

John Milnes

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:25:45 pm »
who cares....were only carpet cleaners  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 10:28:16 pm »
when answering this question you need to truly understand what 'powerful' means, throughout history their has been many powerful men, but not all acted for good eg; Hitler or Genghis Khan, the same goes for carpet cleaning, you could say that Robert saunders is dangerously powerful by influencing all the alltec member to push high price and so alienating other carpet cleaners.

or is the boss of Chemdry dangerously powerful because he  (with his massive army of franchisee)  can unduly influence the general public against independent companies.

Mike

John Gregory

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:30:23 pm »
There are a lot of nice helpful people in this industry, I could list loads who have helped me , Dave Ingram, Dave Lee. Gynn from Leyland, Paul Moss ( without that pub work you gave me I wound be on my arse).

Top Set of lads

John

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 10:31:02 pm »
Depends on what you aree looking for?

Marketing?
Chemistry?
Sales?
Driving the industry?

most of it is a storm in a tea cup, do Solutions or Prochem change your customers perception of you? the next thing from 'outer mongolia' that says it will clean carpets better, faster, drier be any good to your customers unless YOU tel them? a product that cleans and deodorizes and washes the pots at the same time, will anyone believe it?

We are in a small industry where not even the biggest player can get truely noticed.

Shaun

Liahona

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 10:34:19 pm »
Mike.    Joe Polish is of course huge but he is huge within the marketing side of things.  I was more going with that you were asking about people who know their stuff about the cleaning side of our industry.  Joe not only helps carpet cleaners but also many other business's but anyway he would be up there.  

Along with Joe you should put Howard Partridge up there, second to Joe but very close.

Darrel Paulson who I believe is now the boss man of the I.I.C.R.C. is an absolute genious when it comes to anything about what we do.  Having the ability to sell a fridge to an Eskimo  is really someone to listen too.  His motivating people is simply second to none.  Darrel was the first person I ever worked with and I will always be in debt to him.  If I owe anyone for how I am now as a cleaner and instructor then it would be him. ( I instruct in fields other than cleaning)

A few other people I know are very good but just names no one would have heard of.

Best, Dave.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 10:34:53 pm »
You can tell who you really like, trust and can talk to with no politics because they will be in the contacts in your mobile phone under there 1st name.(I used to have 2 entries for Steve but he's lost loads of weight so I've put him down to 1  ;D)

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 10:36:29 pm »
OK there are lots of decent bloke about some are listed so far but been a nice bloke doesn't make you powerful

if we are talking about suppliers then Nick at Solution must be near the top ( if not the top) with his network of Allegystop members and his own popularity he could exert some influence on British carpet cleaning.

Mike

Liahona

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 10:46:16 pm »
Nick at solutions hangs up on me everytime I have wanted to talk to him.  Shame as, as you have said he is or so I have heard a powerful name within this industry and I would really like to talk with him........

Other than that it is difficult I suppose to answer who is the most powerful.  I dont know anything bout Derek Bolton but I must admit would now like to talk with him if he has made that much of an impression on Mike.

I suppose we would have to understand what powerful means in this case.

Best, Dave.

P.S.   Who ever the man or woman from Shaw was that said what they did about the correct way to clean your carpets.  Then going on to say that you should have your carpets cleaned that same way once a year to help maintain the textile.

These or that person arent directly powerful but by educating the public resulted in many more miles of carpets being cleaned than would have without the statement.

Subsequently putting more monies in suppliers and cleaners pockets than maybe anyother person in this industry.

A useless piece of info from the states, when Shaw came out with the statement, more truckmounts were then sold in the following year than at any other time.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 10:54:19 pm »
perhaps a public vote?

Nick VW
John Bolton
Derek Bolton
Paul Pearce
Ron Tilley
Robert Saunders

I can't think of anymore????

One thing is incommon they all make their presence felt whether it's an ego thing or education?

Shaun

Liahona

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 10:58:41 pm »
Shaun,  I only know Paul and Robert.

Paul    very good

Robert      mmmmm?   but has power nevertheless.

Best, Dave.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 11:00:16 pm »
nuff said ;D

saying that if he had charisma ge would do very well.

Shaun

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 11:00:44 pm »
Most lasting impression was made on me by Tom Ashby.............never forgot many of his pearls of wisdom.

Fastest impression made, was by Peter Reed......... i truly believe he would have become one of the names on Shaun's list.

Current top name would have to be Paul Pearce.......................still enlightens me as much today, as he did on first meeting  8)

carpet guy

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 11:43:53 pm »
Whoever has the power to decide that only a particular company should be allowed to clean carpets and others excluded may be the most powerful individual.

In truth, the most powerful man in c/c should be at the top of a nationally recognised body, such as Corgi, but it has'nt happened yet and is unlikely to, without regulation...............then you will know, as he / she will insist that you are .............registered, "qualified" and stick to the policies they come up with................and they will charge you a hefty fee to regulate you.

That's power, the ability to have you all singing from the same hymn book, using only approved products and having your prices pegged.

Liahona

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 12:01:50 am »
Rob, but that isnt and wont happen, so not sure your point.  Hello again anyway, hope you and your health are doing well, best Dave.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 12:08:33 am »
Paul is on list on nominnees and he's UK head of IICRC, however I would say he is most influential in technical section.

carpet guy

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2007, 12:17:52 am »
Evening Dave

Not writing as a personal wish or desire, just suggesting what would amount to real power, desirable , or otherwise.

To decide who is currently the most powerfull man in c/c maybe the answer would be, the producer of T V programs which could, advocate carpet cleaning, over hard flooring, as a desirable fashion accessory !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rob

Still involved, but doing less and less, physical work

maxcarpets

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 07:23:24 am »
me

Fresh Clean

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 09:18:17 am »
you!!!!!!!!!

The Great One

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 09:33:19 am »
Guys, we are cleaning carpets, not pumping sunshine!

boshravie

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 12:07:30 pm »
well so far my choice is Derek Bolton & Paul pearce.

Regard

Bosh

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2007, 12:11:16 pm »
I'm having trouble with the phrase "Most powerful man" and would prefer to use "Most influential man".

During the industry's lifetime, that would have to be Ron Tilley. His Waves of Learning and Wisdom still roll through our lives on a daily basis.

The men who have probably had the most influence on the course of my own business life are Ed Crawford and the late John Goldsmith , but within the industry overall, they're small fry.

At present, there doesn't appear to me to be any one individual who stands out amongst the crowd. But from the nominations offered, there are plenty of candidates who I would agree with.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

edward coller

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 03:01:44 pm »
Who is doing the most profitable level of business in other words the best business man/salesman  this is business not a hobby no margin no mission   Simon

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 03:11:37 pm »
Thats why I think it should be like The National Soap Awards

Best Cleaner

Best Supplier

Lifetime achievement etc

carpet guy

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 03:41:28 pm »
Back to the original question..................

How do you measure , or perceive POWER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To have power over the industry, would require you to be able to influence the publics reception of .......carpets and, or carpetcleaning and, or the truth about what constitutes a healthy home.

For the past decade, the power has been in the hands of people like Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, the two ponces from Glasgow, Carol Smillie, Linda Barker, etc.

They are really the most powerful people in this industry and it will take a strong personality, to overcome the damage they have and continue to cause your industry.

There is nothing to stop manufacturers of carpets and cleaning supplies getting together to sponsor a suitable programme.

rob

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 04:02:09 pm »
The problem with that is that we are all not together, the NCCA haven't got the money and even if they did I don't think they would do it. I wouldn't if I were them in that kind of corporate world you are talking silly money.If I were the NCCA I would do the care labels for upholstery and send them free to upholsterers, the small upholsterers would love them as it gives them a freebie and also credibility the larger concerns would want money for the priviledge.

Shaun

jasonl

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2007, 04:57:08 pm »
Should our aim be to be the most powerful person in Carpet cleaning in our own town?
Shaun, CD paid 25k a year 12 years ago to have labels put in all Christie-tyler group upholstery, it must be a lot more now.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

carpet guy

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2007, 05:05:52 pm »
I was suggesting carpet manufacturers / machine and chemical suppliers, etc, where there is money and who would benefit hugely from a positive cahange of fortune.

Bear in mind, that the programme makers already have the infrastructure and have already purchased the equipment, it's the advertising and periphery sponsors are paying for.

I'm sure there would be plenty of people willing to take part for free.

vangaurd

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2007, 05:13:59 pm »
I WILL NOMINATE MYSELF
as iam the worlds number one! 8)

The Great One

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2007, 05:57:53 pm »
Or maybe we should get on and do what we do. And help each other as we have been doing instead of pumping sunshine where it doesn't? :-X

PaulKing

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2007, 06:24:25 pm »
The problem with that is that we are all not together, the NCCA haven't got the money and even if they did I don't think they would do it.

Shaun

your bang on the money, it neeeds dare i say it a complet and utter bar setward in charge of marketing for the members, who has carte blanch,is on commision. Its all already there a national organisation with trained members, lets face it everyone who's not a member should be quaking! It should be the case that it's a no brainer to join.

why are'nt the manufactre using the ncca as a total closed shop, sharing databases ect  god i would love that job
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

lands

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2007, 06:53:34 pm »
Paul, have you become completely dyslexic since yesterday?

FiberReviver

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2007, 10:31:15 pm »
Well what a load of rubbish this post is. ;D
Freddie xxxxxx
WELL I NEVER !!!! WELL MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2007, 10:37:25 pm »
Come here

Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? he bought a ware house  :'(

and there's more.

Shaun

PaulKing

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2007, 08:22:01 am »
Paul, have you become completely dyslexic since yesterday?

Yes I am dyslexic just forgot to use the spell checker before i posted. Ask John Kelly he's know for years, I never think about it usually as the standard of some of the posts make me think I'm just not that bad.

It's like anything you can have good and bad days with it. It's one of the reason I got  office help as soon as I could afford it. Don't think I'm upset personally i think it one of the things that makes me tick, when you have to rewrite a whole page becuase you cannot think how to spell a word, getting the spanners out on fixing things is easy, also lets you think of how to approach thing in a different way.

There will now be a rush of people also confirming they are partial dyslexic, and stating that did you know "so and so" was dyslexic

personally it something i can laugh about, it one of those things that takes away your ability to read and spell but can make you very creative.

and now on with the jokes,

Did you hear about the dyslexic devil worshipper?
He ended up selling his soul to Santa.

We are Dyslexic of Borg. You will have your ass laminated

"Old MacDonald had dyslexia, O-E-O-E-I."

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

lands

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 09:43:32 am »
Glad you can laugh about it Paul, I would have felt terrible otherwise.

Pete

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2007, 10:26:09 am »
A dyslexic mate of mine once overdosed on an F  ::)

Dyslexics rule KO

Serious question ............ does an anagram make sense when you first look at it  ???

vangaurd

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 10:37:47 am »
 as paul said, i must be the most influential, carpet cleaner
this country has.
i carry a lot of clout have the contacts, iam always on hand to make you a few quid, and have a vast knowledge in a wide range of topics
most of all gambling!in a nut shell , iam the best!

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2007, 10:56:36 am »
.................and MODEST, i like that in a person  ::)

Art

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2007, 01:26:44 pm »
as paul said, i must be the most influential, carpet cleaner
this country has.
i carry a lot of clout have the contacts, iam always on hand to make you a few quid, and have a vast knowledge in a wide range of topics
most of all gambling!in a nut shell , iam the best!

This was your latest  tip  ::) Another cracker  ;D

mark_roberts

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2007, 05:49:52 pm »
Id say the Hydramaster team have been massivly influencial in increasing the sales and usage of truckmounts.

Solutions for inovation in chemicals and new products imported.

Alltec for marketing.

Chemspec for specific problem chemicals.

Id agree the likes of Derek Bolton and Paul Pierce as individuals have influenced many and also through the NCCA.  Its also highly commendable to these and others in the NCCA as they give their time freely for no financial reward.

Mark

*paul_moss

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 06:17:17 pm »
Id say the Hydramaster team have been massivly influencial in increasing the sales and usage of truckmounts.

Solutions for inovation in chemicals and new products imported.

Alltec for marketing.

Chemspec for specific problem chemicals.

Id agree the likes of Derek Bolton and Paul Pierce as individuals have influenced many and also through the NCCA.  Its also highly commendable to these and others in the NCCA as they give their time freely for no financial reward. Mark

Mark totally agree with you on this.The NCCA have poped up a few times on this post, as have the directors and trainners asociated with them.
I for one am not a member but would join them tomorrow if they were more forward thinking in terms of todays market.
It is not just doing the job right and making customers happy of which the NCCA can already do,but it is also about making a living and a profit. Alltec are very good at this but for their own small membership because of there marketing strategy.
If NCCA could do the same modern forward thinking then they would me a massive force to be reckoned with.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2007, 08:15:49 pm »
The NCCA are a bit like IICRC which realistically are the same anyway! but you get good training and you if you wish join but after that you pay £200 PA to use their badge but you don't really get anything for it. The IICRC is cheaper but the same.

I think the NCCA with 500 members @ £200 each thats £100 000 is just treading water, the costing to run maybe £100 000 for the year but it has never moved forward it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Some of us cleaners that have been going quite a few years and profess to doing the job properly and are not members should be asked why we are not members, I think Dave Liohana said something quite right when he suggested different levels of membership for beginners and journeymen.

I would like to see a reality tv programme a bit like the hotel inspectors that would go in and advise how the NCCA in their opinion could promote themselves so the public would becme more aware, I heard somewhere that Alltec have upped their game by getting Anthea Turner to promote maintenance plans on a DVD and for that the Fastrackers will pay an extra £2k, well back to the chicken and egg why not do public promoting of the NCCA and then if the members agree up the suscriptions £50 PA and then see where it takes them.

Shaun

lands

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 09:59:58 pm »
Not sure £50 per member would be enough would it Shaun?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2007, 10:17:08 pm »
Ask members for anymore and you wouldn't get it, I think £50 @ 500 members would be a start and then as more awareness grows more members would see and join but the next year it could be £100 if all went well and may be ther could be 600 members so a marketing budget would be £60 000 these thing barrel roll if you can get it off the ground.

Shaun

lands

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2007, 10:28:56 pm »
See what you mean. Perhaps what the NCCA needs is a business person running it and not a CC. Maybey that sort of person would take a more objective view of things. Won't make many friends with an opnion like that though will I?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2007, 10:35:35 pm »
Billy no mates the carpet cleaner ;D

I'd love a trouble shooter to advise on 'moving forward' there are different ways of doing it but a professional would be fantastic and with a TV audience that would really sell the NCCA to the public! anyone got the BBC's number? oh I think thet are going on strike, bummer!

Shaun

lands

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2007, 10:45:37 pm »
you think they could afford Adam Crozier?

If not how about Ruth the badger from the Apprentice ;D

letzclean

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2007, 10:03:07 am »

There is only one man who is worthy of the title that is Paul Pearce absolute Don 8)
"A pessimist see's the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist see's the opportunity in every difficulty."

ianharper

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2007, 05:18:54 pm »
Shaun

With regards the NCCA two many takers and not many givers (members). if every member gave like those that do then it would be a much more powerful force. you get out what you put in.

I for one will be asking to become a member in December. my time on the fence is over and I am in.

Lets not talk about persons but us all as a group. thats real power.

Respect

Ian harper

*paul_moss

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2007, 05:37:35 pm »
Ian what has changed your mind to join now ?
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

ianharper

« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2007, 05:51:26 pm »
Paul

I have read posts about the NCCA for some time and taken note of what people have said. I have lots of ideas and know that its worth trying to see if the NCCA can help me with them as a member? if not then nothing is lost.

I for one want to see carpet cleaning raised in prospects minds.

Respect

ian

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2007, 06:29:03 pm »
I cleaned carpets for 21 years before joining but realised in the last two years, that i should have done it sooner.
Apart from the credibility it gives when quoting on jobs for larger companies and quality households........ i have more than covered any joining costs, with the job referrals from website and via office.
That makes it an inexpensive promotional and advertising exercise  ;)

Liahona

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2007, 07:13:50 pm »
Chris, hello again for one and for two I am pleased you get referrals from the N.C.C.A.  I was a member for 2 years but for my own reasons I am not anymore.  One of the reasons even though it was suggested I would get referrals from them was that I didnt get any at all.  This wasnt of course the only reason but one nevertheless.  I felt it was expensive to just have a "free" newsletter once a month.  Maybe I rocked the boat a little too much????  and didnt get the support I felt could have been given.   Anyway, they and most on here know my feelings so a non-member I will stay.

Best, Dave.

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2007, 10:24:07 pm »
Dave, like most things, you never know till you try.
I felt that i never needed to be a member and was never asked if i was.............. i feel that people who are looking for members will know where to look........and do not need to ask the question.

Like the majority of people on these forums, we choose to work for ourselves and make our own way....... if it does not help you, then move onto something that does.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2007, 10:27:32 pm »
Plenty of givers about 500 of them at £200 a time.

Shaun

David_Annable

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2007, 11:23:36 pm »
Hi

Shaun I know your not a giver. ( although you have been in the past )

Does that mean your a taker.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

*paul_moss

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2007, 02:56:54 pm »
Hi

Shaun I know your not a giver. ( although you have been in the past )

Does that mean your a taker.

Dave

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

See Shaun we all know about you  ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2007, 04:45:41 pm »
I don't lower myself to that West of the Pennines smut! only thing they give out there is grief and take what isn't there's!! discusting and they don't talk propper.

Shaun

maxcarpets

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2007, 06:18:32 pm »
I still say me!

David_Annable

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2007, 07:07:18 pm »
Hi

Sorry Shaun i just coundn't resist it.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2007, 09:06:27 pm »
Well you'll get the back of your hands slapped next time!

Shaun