Mike Halliday

who is the most powerful man in .....
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:00:44 pm »
..... British carpet cleaning?

who has the most influence,.... who is the most trusted,.... who is the most popular,.... who can change how we clean.

I think there is only one man who if he said he couldn't do without a certain product, I would buy that product the very next day and that's Derek Bolton.

so I'll nominate Derek

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

*paul_moss

Re: who is the most powerful man in .....
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:04:29 pm »
I would have to go with Vanguard.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

stevegunn

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:08:28 pm »
Paul Pearce for me the man has so much knowledge,after doing the ncca course he gave us his contact details with the imortal words if in doubt ring me.

John Gregory

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:10:11 pm »
Nick at solutions,   If he told me raining i wound go outside and have a look

john

Liahona

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 10:10:48 pm »
Mike,  I dont know too many in this industry in Britain but if you go internationally then let me know.  

John Kelly has been the most helpful to date but most everyone I have met have been helpful.  Mind you there are an awful lot of knuckleheads around too.

Best, Dave.

P.S.  Chris Netherton knows his stuff too and has helped me out on many occasions.....

lands

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 10:12:03 pm »
Paul Pearce all day long

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 10:14:06 pm »
Dave who is the most powerfull in the States? 6 yrs ago I would have said joe Polish

Mike

John Gregory

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 10:15:24 pm »
Dave Ingram,

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 10:17:44 pm »
There are many,the ones you can trust arnt beholdent to others or companies.
Over the past few years the people who have been straight,upfront and honest are Mike Halliday,Dave Ingrame,Dave Leona, all tell it as it is.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

stevegunn

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:21:34 pm »
Suppliers 1.John Kelly 2.Matt at cleansmart
Fellow cleaners 1.Mike Halliday 2.Shaun Ashmore 3.Dave Ingram 4.Paul King 5.mossy 

Forgot about Lee Grundy changed my whole outlook about finishing late when he is back home at 1.30 with his feet up 8)

John Milnes

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:25:45 pm »
who cares....were only carpet cleaners  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 10:28:16 pm »
when answering this question you need to truly understand what 'powerful' means, throughout history their has been many powerful men, but not all acted for good eg; Hitler or Genghis Khan, the same goes for carpet cleaning, you could say that Robert saunders is dangerously powerful by influencing all the alltec member to push high price and so alienating other carpet cleaners.

or is the boss of Chemdry dangerously powerful because he  (with his massive army of franchisee)  can unduly influence the general public against independent companies.

Mike

John Gregory

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:30:23 pm »
There are a lot of nice helpful people in this industry, I could list loads who have helped me , Dave Ingram, Dave Lee. Gynn from Leyland, Paul Moss ( without that pub work you gave me I wound be on my arse).

Top Set of lads

John

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 10:31:02 pm »
Depends on what you aree looking for?

Marketing?
Chemistry?
Sales?
Driving the industry?

most of it is a storm in a tea cup, do Solutions or Prochem change your customers perception of you? the next thing from 'outer mongolia' that says it will clean carpets better, faster, drier be any good to your customers unless YOU tel them? a product that cleans and deodorizes and washes the pots at the same time, will anyone believe it?

We are in a small industry where not even the biggest player can get truely noticed.

Shaun

Liahona

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 10:34:19 pm »
Mike.    Joe Polish is of course huge but he is huge within the marketing side of things.  I was more going with that you were asking about people who know their stuff about the cleaning side of our industry.  Joe not only helps carpet cleaners but also many other business's but anyway he would be up there.  

Along with Joe you should put Howard Partridge up there, second to Joe but very close.

Darrel Paulson who I believe is now the boss man of the I.I.C.R.C. is an absolute genious when it comes to anything about what we do.  Having the ability to sell a fridge to an Eskimo  is really someone to listen too.  His motivating people is simply second to none.  Darrel was the first person I ever worked with and I will always be in debt to him.  If I owe anyone for how I am now as a cleaner and instructor then it would be him. ( I instruct in fields other than cleaning)

A few other people I know are very good but just names no one would have heard of.

Best, Dave.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 10:34:53 pm »
You can tell who you really like, trust and can talk to with no politics because they will be in the contacts in your mobile phone under there 1st name.(I used to have 2 entries for Steve but he's lost loads of weight so I've put him down to 1  ;D)

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 10:36:29 pm »
OK there are lots of decent bloke about some are listed so far but been a nice bloke doesn't make you powerful

if we are talking about suppliers then Nick at Solution must be near the top ( if not the top) with his network of Allegystop members and his own popularity he could exert some influence on British carpet cleaning.

Mike

Liahona

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 10:46:16 pm »
Nick at solutions hangs up on me everytime I have wanted to talk to him.  Shame as, as you have said he is or so I have heard a powerful name within this industry and I would really like to talk with him........

Other than that it is difficult I suppose to answer who is the most powerful.  I dont know anything bout Derek Bolton but I must admit would now like to talk with him if he has made that much of an impression on Mike.

I suppose we would have to understand what powerful means in this case.

Best, Dave.

P.S.   Who ever the man or woman from Shaw was that said what they did about the correct way to clean your carpets.  Then going on to say that you should have your carpets cleaned that same way once a year to help maintain the textile.

These or that person arent directly powerful but by educating the public resulted in many more miles of carpets being cleaned than would have without the statement.

Subsequently putting more monies in suppliers and cleaners pockets than maybe anyother person in this industry.

A useless piece of info from the states, when Shaw came out with the statement, more truckmounts were then sold in the following year than at any other time.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 10:54:19 pm »
perhaps a public vote?

Nick VW
John Bolton
Derek Bolton
Paul Pearce
Ron Tilley
Robert Saunders

I can't think of anymore????

One thing is incommon they all make their presence felt whether it's an ego thing or education?

Shaun

Liahona

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 10:58:41 pm »
Shaun,  I only know Paul and Robert.

Paul    very good

Robert      mmmmm?   but has power nevertheless.

Best, Dave.