Jenny Slater

How to dry underlay?
« on: November 07, 2006, 04:59:14 pm »
Had a call from a customer that the underlay is wet beneath her carpet following a carpet clean a couple of days before.  What is the best way to dry this quickly for her?  I am going to visit again and try and extract anything further that I can and I have bought a dehumidifer.  Any further suggestions?

dirtbusters

Re: How to dry underlay?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 05:30:23 pm »
take up one corner and put an air blower under the carpet. this puts a cushion of air under the carpet and will rapidly dry the underlay and carpet backing. more worrying is how you managed to get the underlay wet in the first place?

Jenny Slater

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 07:00:58 pm »
I don't know how the underlay got wet.  I cleaned the carpet in the same way that I always do.  Have been back to see the client this evening and the underlay is wet, but strangely the carpet is dry and the backing of the carpet is just a bit damp, as if it is only damp because it has been laying on top of the wet underlay.  I have never had this problem before.  Any suggestions greatfully received.

lee_gundry

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 07:24:11 pm »
what is the underlay made from?

Lee G
cumbria

Jenny Slater

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 07:55:36 pm »
I'm not sure, I can't remember.  It wasn't just that rubber underlay that you can get.  Why do you ask?

mark_roberts

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:45:43 pm »
Sounds a bit fishy to me.  Why was the customer lifting the carpet back to see the underlay????????????

Sounds like they maybe have spilt something?

If not and it was your fault then you have a cleaning problem.

Mark

Damian

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:05:45 pm »
Hi Jenny, listen-youre vac hose isnt blocked is it?

Damian.
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

carpetguy

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 10:30:49 pm »

If the fault is with the operator and you reckon it was a "normal" clean, then something was different, from normal.
The most likely being,

loss of vacuum, due to emptying valve being open, even slightly, or the lid on the return tank, not fully flush, or a poor fitting hose.

the evidence would be, less water than normal, in the return tank

You could work with this, for a short time, but it would / should have been noticed by the low return.

If none of these, it might be some thing that's happened outwith your control, as suggested above.

Curious about, how the client was aware the underlay was wet !

robbie

Damian

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 10:43:51 pm »
Me too Robbie?

Damian.
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

dirtbusters

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 11:23:36 pm »
check to see if a radiator or pipe has got a very slow leak somewhere, does not sound quite right. may be another explanation and your going to be blamed for it. could also be damp in the floor if its concrete.

Jenny Slater

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 06:48:22 am »
Thanks for all of your feedback.  She noticed the underlay was wet because she is selling the house and the surveyor pulled back the carpet.  As for the way in which I cleaned the carpet - the usual amount of water was extracted out - so no blockages with my machine.

carpetclean

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 07:13:30 am »
unless i have missed it no where on here does it mention what the carpet construction is, or what the backing is . is it all synthetic and what was the psi and speed at which you cleaned.
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

John Kelly

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 07:38:03 am »
Be careful as this may have nothing whatsover to do with you. Is the carpet layed onto a concrete slab or floorboards?
If its concrete there may be a defective DPC causing the slab to become damp in which case the moisture will transfer itself to the underlay making it damp.
It could also be condensation where the warm air from the room is coming into contact with the colder slab, this can even happen to a degree with floorboards but not as pronounced..
In fact it is more than likely that this is the cause rather than your cleaning. I would find someone local who can use a moisture meter to do some investigation for you or better just walk away.

the red carpet

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 08:04:06 am »
Could it be a belgium wilton ???
There polyprop so wont absorb the water and it will go straight to the backing, and there woven so theres no latex at the back to stop the water getting through to the underlay.

J Jones

Re: How to dry underlay? New
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 08:31:23 pm »
You need to be a detective on this one  ;)

Ask the customer how long it took for the carpet to dry after cleaning ?

For the underlay to be wet after cleaning it would have taken a week or so.

Did you clean any other rooms ?

Are they still wet underneath ?

Are any other rooms ( that you didnt clean) affected by wet underlay ?

Good Luck