Chris R

Soot stain on wool carpet?
« on: April 22, 2004, 10:00:40 pm »
I was called out today to remove a soot stain from a 80/20 wool carpet, plain cream colour, only 6 months old. The stain was caused by a lump of soot falling from the gas fire coals and being trodden into the carpet, leaving a stain measuring about 6inch by 6inch.
I worked on it for about an hour, but could not shift it all. I used various pre sprays, solvents and spotters, being very careful not to distort the pile. I rinsed out with fibre and fabric rinse. The customer was pleased (£5 tip  :D ), but I just wondered if  something else would have shifted it?
Thanks
Chris
Staffordshire

Bob Allen

Re: Soot stain on wool carpet?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 10:11:20 pm »
Hi Chris never used this myself but heard glowing reports about Prochems Ultrapac Renovate
Good luck
Bob
Bob Allen

Chris R

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 10:15:24 pm »
Yes I have heard mention of this product before (Prochems Ultrapac Renovate ), but is it safe on wool? ???
Staffordshire

John_Flynn

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 10:40:05 pm »
The one chemical that should be on everybodies van Prochem Ultrapac Renovate.

I'll second that.
I get better looking each day!!

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 10:58:59 pm »
Ditto Ultrapac Renovate. Superb product. For spotting I've had a lot of success with Citrus Gel. Give it a bit of dwell first.

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

lee_gundry

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 11:04:48 pm »
ultrapac

excellent for soot,filtration lines & cleaning brake dust from alloy wheels

Lee G
cumbria

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 12:42:31 am »
Chris

I did not know gas fires caused soot as we know it open fire yes, how ever as advised may add to my arsenal of agents; don’t think it wool safe but great on polypropylene.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 12:48:01 am »
I had a saimilar situation in a £2,000000 holiday home that we have round here. Not John Majors.

However I think I used somthing from Alltec costs about £13 for 5 litres Orange smell.

Anyway customer happy and I have another one of their complexes to do.

Dave Parry

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 12:51:14 am »
Gas fires shouldn't cause soot unless ventilation is bad. Either flue blocked or room not ventilated. If me I would use ultrapac on carpet and advise to get British gas in to do safety check. I think they do it free.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

cleanmac

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 01:06:04 am »
Hi Chris, it is not safe on wool!
I have dealt with a similar problem on my own carpet (light coloured  80/20) and used spitfire advance,with great  results.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 01:19:41 am »
Dont you lads use blowers . Anyone who does, surely knows to be very careful and watch for initial soot traces flying into the air from Gas fires, when switching them on. On numerous occasions, Ive had to go chasing after them, gently lifting or wiping from the carpet. As the carpet is still damp from cleaning they come off easily. Agree with the others - Ultrapac renovate, once used it to clean the entire surface area of a smoke damaged caravan after a small fire caused by a faulty oil burning heater, it did the job.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Len Gribble

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 01:41:12 am »
Definition of soot, black carbonaceous substance rising in fine flakes in the smoke of wood.coal, .oil etc and deposited on the side of chimney, how many of you have gas fires/back boilers have the chimney swept none.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 02:36:28 am »
A217 Ultrapac renovate is great for soot damaged carpets, but when i worked for independent inspections ltd we did a huge amount of insurance claims( around 10000 claims a month)

quite a lot of the claims were storm damage where the soot would have been blown out of the firepalce, the problem on a wool carpet is the carbon mixed with the rainwater causes a permenant stain no matter what you do!!(and we dealt with alot of them!)

Not alot you can do im afraid!

Nick >:(
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

woodman

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 12:38:58 pm »
Have to disagree I'm afraid,

I have had a lot of success with soot stain removal and of course when all else fails, do a  re-tuft.

Most are small splashes which are easily removed by re-tufting.

Trevor

Len Gribble

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 09:47:18 pm »
Trevor

Are you any good at doing hair transplants? I think my bald patches need to be refuted.

Len

Dynafoam

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 09:57:37 pm »
Nick,

You clearly have of lot of experience in inspecting soot damage, but I have cleaned numerouse wool carpets that were not only soot stained but soaked by fire hoses.

Ultrapack Renovate, though far from ideal for wool is my prefered treatment. I mix it with a high-solids neutral shampoo (despite the label instruction not to mix with any other cleaning agent) and shampoo in with a polypropylene brush, then extract with Liquid wool safe.

I have not yet tried micro-splitters but imagine that they may require an additional wetting agent to get best results.

John.

Dynafoam

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 10:01:48 pm »
Len,

Don't bother Trevor, he's probably busy - I'll drop in at  a barbers' shop for some sweepings, thencome round with my staple gun  ;D

John.

ALEXDH

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 10:27:45 pm »
citrus gel is marvellous on such stains ;D ;D ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 10:37:02 pm »
John

I wished this came up yesterday as I was in you neck of the woods you could have done it for me then, no need to go round to the barbers every time I have an hair cut I keep the off cuts take the home and cry.  In my younger days I used to be a hippy then a skinhead by choice now I don’t have one, bring back the hippy day’s hipsters and flairs plus a slim figure, wife’s diet is killing me, thinks that what she want. By the way there’s a lot of soot in this

Len

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2004, 11:10:51 pm »
You can get soot marks from gas fires with the coals, I've had wind blow down my chimney and dislodge soot from a coal and it land on my Mrs's carpet (minimum call out fee of course, still to be paid)

My cousin has quite a few fireplace shops and I do a few soot jobs that he passes on to me.

Shaun