Ian Gourlay

UV torches
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:57:06 pm »
How can you tell without having one if they are any good.  Is there power to look for etc

Prices can vary from £3 to £20 plus

John Kelly

Re: UV torches
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:05:07 pm »
Don't waste your money at those prices Ian.

Kevin OBrien

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:31:58 pm »
Russ Chadd was selling them some time ago

elliott cleaning

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:13:33 pm »
John is absolutely correct. The old adage - you get what you pay for.  £20 plus - and I stress 'PLUS', before you get anything which is worth having

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:26:41 pm »
Many years ago I bought one from a car boot sale, it was still in its plastic holder I gave it to the missus to check for dodgy £20 notes and then one of the kids took it school when they have to take torches in and she lost it which was the best thing for it! Buy cheap buy twice!!

Shaun

Kev Loomes

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:32:20 pm »
Just contact Russ Chadd - he does the kits and only uses top quality gear. I, like others haven't looked back since investing in one - paid for itself instantly on the first detection job using it.

http://www.prosteamuk.com/contact/

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 12:48:26 pm »
Thanks Kev what a fantastic Web site he has . I do recall that Rus did a vid in a travel lodge i think with one

I think I will probably go for a mains one   

Has Russ stopped coming here ?  I think i saw him posting on Cleantalk when I had a look the other day.?

But what I really want to know is how you compare performance  Bit like truckmount versus portable versus serial versus parallel versus pump pressure etc etc

Paul Dunkley

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:13:29 am »
Don't waste your money at those prices Ian.

Russ Chadd

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 08:23:10 am »
I have been lurking in the back ground!
I have a few in stock if you want one :-)

ian harper

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 08:26:09 am »
Ian

Why does it have to be a torch? how about something like to old cable ones you used to get for working on your car with a block bulb in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAP7nV6yOB0

Respects

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 09:15:58 am »
Thanks Ian  It does not have to be a torch , but I did remember Russ did a travel lodge Video  which I cannot find. But what I was trying to establish was  the difference  between the different onces that are available.and how dark you would need to get the room.

If I did buy somthing I think as you have pointed out it would be mains and cable  as logic tells me it would be more powerful.

Although I do not think I would take it out Ive just remembered I have an UV lamp in the loft I used to use to treat Acne  is this the same UV it gives a blue light?

Craigp

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 08:17:21 pm »
I bought one about a year ago, still not used it on a job.

garyhumphreys

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:19 pm »
Craig P, the torch you recommended, how do you know if you haven't used it?

Ian, this one is more than adequate for detecting urine;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-UltraFire-WF-501B-UV375NM-LED-Ultraviol-Light-Flashlight-Torch-Black-UK-/371082462879?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item56663d069f

Russ Chadd

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 10:24:19 pm »
Here is a proper torch in action
http://youtu.be/G-aVXP5W4_k

Craigp

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 04:17:13 pm »
Craig P, the torch you recommended, how do you know if you haven't used it?

Ian, this one is more than adequate for detecting urine;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-UltraFire-WF-501B-UV375NM-LED-Ultraviol-Light-Flashlight-Torch-Black-UK-/371082462879?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item56663d069f

As I said *not used it on a JOB.* that's not the same as not used it.

garyhumphreys

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 04:42:27 pm »
Glad about that Craig, coz I've bought one as you recommended it Lol.

wynne jones

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 05:00:14 pm »
Maybe there are a few points being missed here that mean leaving money on the table in an effort to be a cheapskate.

I don't own one of Russ' torches but he has obviously taken the time and trouble to source parts to retrofit into what may look like something else you can buy on bay for not much. Anyone in the know will realise even the brand of battery makes a huge difference to output, longevity AND price.

The main benefit though in my mind is even on a brightish day you will find the faintest contamination and that means money in your pocket. You can get a cheap one go round when its dark and close all the curtains and think youve saved a bob or two but you still will miss out. 
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

garyhumphreys

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 05:10:06 pm »
I agree, if it's something you will use often and is an essential bit of kit you should always buy the best you can afford.

If however, another carpet cleaner says that something's worth having or taking a look at and it's cheap, then why not have a punt. If you use it, buy a better one instead of having another bit of unused kit in the lock up.

wynne jones

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 05:20:18 pm »
I agree, if it's something you will use often and is an essential bit of kit you should always buy the best you can afford.

If however, another carpet cleaner says that something's worth having or taking a look at and it's cheap, then why not have a punt. If you use it, buy a better one instead of having another bit of unused kit in the lock up.

This sounds logical but really its buy cheap pay twice. The fact you can wave it around through the day ON EVERY job means it will pay for itself in no time. Don't just use it when called in for wee. Just my way of thinking.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.