Scott Martin

Yellow Pages
« on: January 09, 2006, 02:28:16 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have been a yellow pages, book, net and 118 247 customer for a number of years.

Time to renew as you will all know.

Can you supply the following to me to help me in my decision-

SERVICES YOU TAKE WITH YELL
SIZE OF BOOK AD
COST OF EACH SERVICE  I.E BOOK, NET, 118 247
TOTAL SPEND PER YEAR WITH YELL
RESPONSE RATES
CONVERSION RATE
MOST IMPORTANTLY DOES IT WORK FOR YOU?

WILL YOU BE RENEWING
IF YES - WHY
IF NO - WHY

I AM NOT BEING INTRUSIVE OR NOSEY IN ANY WAY AT ALL AND I AM NOT OUT TO GO ONE BETTER THAN MY COMPETITION, MY PROFILE SHOULD INDICATE THIS.

ALL REPONSES WOULD BE GREAT, IF REQUIRED YOU CAN PM OR EMAIL AND THIS WILL BE TREATED IN STRICTEST CONFIDENCE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

SCOTT
The Ultimate In Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning!

the red carpet

Re: Yellow Pages
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 05:36:41 pm »
hi,
I havent got a clue what works and what dosent i have tried to research on here as to what type of ad works many times
but everybody seems to have different opinions.

Anyway i have decided to go for a full colour ad 3/8 wich is about quarter page, and it comes out next month so fingers crossed.

Cost i think is about £2400

I am now gonna try and post it so you can see what you think.

I will add im not totally happy with it and it is being ammended at present but it would be interesting to have your feedback.

click on the link below to view

[attachment deleted by admin]

Neil Grainger

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 05:47:35 pm »
Hi red

got to say that you have a lot of space on their that you are not using. Wheres your Gurantee and info about your service. The whole point is to be different from the rest.

Tell them what they are getting and fill it with information about you and your company. Put a picture of your family in their this is a massive selling point. This alone has bought in lots of work.

People want to know they can trust you. Dont give Yellow pages that much money for it, it does not need to be full clour, 2 colour would be fine

Scott Martin

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 05:54:21 pm »
Looks good, i would have to disagree with free space. Never clutter an advert as you want to get the message accross and straight to the point. To much info is sometimes hard to take in but if it works for others then excellent.

Just me but lose the trainers on the guy, try and get yell to airbrush these to all black.

Two colour should save you a few bob also. Have you thought of a freephone number, even if you only use it on yell then you will know your response rates.

Also remember your ranking, company names starting A,B get nearer the front but dont cheat it.

Thanks for you feedback re yell. Good luck with the ad.

the red carpet

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 06:28:54 pm »
hi guys,

Scott, you couldnt be more right in my opinion the image was supplied by y/p and its the third one, and this is there smartest guy yet, i dont know where they get them from they all seem to look so scruffy "i hate the trainers"

Neil, i am having ammendments done at the minute and have included "satisfaction guarantee"
but to be honest dont feel it makes me different, the main reason for me doing it was everybody else has and i dont want to appear as the only one in the book with no faith in there work.

Design side asside for the moment, what does everybody feel works best in the ads text wise, if you had to include a limited amount of things what would the essentials  be for example,

FAST DRYING
RELIABLE SERVICE
HONEST PRICING
STAIN REMOVAL
FULLY INSURED, ECT. ECT. ECT

Also i plan to change the pictures to a before and after shot of a large stain, anyone had any success with this, customers are allways amazed when i show this photo on the survey/quote, so in theroy it wouldnt hurt to include it in the ad.

Also this would make me different as no body else in my book is doing anything like this, its either pictures of them there family or there kit.

the red carpet

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 06:34:31 pm »
Also with regards to free phone numbers, i see the benifit of knowing where the calls come from, however i always ask anyway

But have any of you guys that use them to encourage customers to call  ever thought about this,  most people these days use mobiles, most mobiles are free to landlines at some point during the day, also most if not all charge you to ring a freephone number ???

I myself when i use the y/p will not ring the free phone numbers, and im sure i cant be the only one

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 07:46:37 pm »
MY AD IS CRAMMED WITH INFO
THERES ISN'T ANY SPACE LEFT

GET A GREAT RESPONCE FROM BOOK

BRSL

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 09:59:40 pm »
Sorry to pick another hole in your add  ;)

But the single seat pic is of a seat with removable covers probably machine washable, I agree with some nice pics of before and after save your space and clean half of a seat and leave the other so you only have to take up one space
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

the red carpet

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 10:08:55 pm »
HI PILE PROFILE,

AS I SAY THESE PICS ARE ALL  COURTESY OF Y/P AND TO BE FAIR THERE USELESS.

THE PICTURES I WAS LOOKING TO INCLUDE CAN BE SEEN ON MY OTHER POST - VAN GRAPHICS, CHECK THEM OUT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD WORK WELL IN A Y/P AD?

the red carpet

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 07:03:04 pm »
Getting better?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Neil Grainger

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 08:16:33 pm »
Hi Red

I have just sent you an e-mail with an attachment to show what I meant by filling it with info.

Cheers

Neil

the red carpet

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 09:08:16 pm »
Cheers neil,

I apreciate you taking the time to help me out.
This is the type of ad i expected you to be running when you said fill mine with info.
Ime sure this format does work well, the thing that puts me off is theres quite a few adverts in my book running exactly the same text and format.

you mentioned in your other post to be different and with this ad in my local book i just wouldnt be, theres nothing to make me stand out, as everyones using it ???

So im stuck with the dillema of follow the pack, and just blend into the background.
or try somthing different, and try to stand out with a larger colour advert with pictures etc.

Given the same situation what would everybody suggest?

If everyone runs there normal advert this year mine would be the most eye catching in the book.

gort

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 09:46:19 pm »
I hope you dont mind me saying red but is that you in the pic. It does not look very proffesional the bloke with the motor mechanics out fit on cleaning. It would look better if the bloke had a pair of trousers and a short sleave white shirt and if you really want to spice it up put a tie on and please smile and look happy at your work

Rob

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 10:04:46 pm »
I'll be blunt.

I think your ad is the worst I've seen in a long while, I can't belief of all the 48 people who have viewed it hav'nt said something,

I think you'll be lucky to get your money back, its really bad.

When I've got more time I give go into more detail ( got to walk the dog)

MIke
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

the red carpet

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 10:11:06 pm »
no mate, dont worry i dont look that bad.

As i say its the y/p's pics.

The thing that puts me of putting a picture of myself in is im probably a bit younger than most guys with there own cleaning firms (25). And i think it looks better to have a older guy in the pics as people seem to trust there work to older people more as they feel they have more experience. (wich is prob true)

I did stick a picture of myself on a recent leaflet and the response was terrible.

So its either that or im a ugly git, im gonna go with the first theroy.

I think i might have to stick someone in my work uniform and get a couple pics done this week as the deadlines getting close for the book now.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 10:23:34 pm »
surely red those lonley housewives will love it you being so young,

I am only 33 and thought the same but it does work.

Picture of you saying you are the owner of the company.

I do not use this add on its own I just pic things from it.

If you look on Thomson Local for carpet cleaning in yateley you will see my add their and it will show you what I have done.

Cheers

Neil

mark_roberts

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 10:47:36 pm »
Its not a great ad as its the same as the rest.  Theres nothing to set you apart.

Dump all the pics as they mean nothing.  You man is naff.  He looks like a plumber.  A pic of you even beside you van would be better.

Dump the full colour no need for it.  One colour on white.

You need a headline.

A list of your services.

A few bullet points which make you different.  I use NCCA approved, owner on site, safe cleaning, risk free cleaning.  I have a few lines under each point.

List where you service esp the local towns to you.

From my research people ring me because of my bullet points and Im local.

I would be disappointed if it didnt make 4-1 return on first time orders.

Goto your local library and look at the other books from other areas for ideas.

Mark

John_Flynn

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 12:08:48 am »
When I advertised in Y/P I used the Joe Polish ad, crammed as much information into the space as I could, put a Consumer Awareness message in Used a FREEPHONE number, the telephone used to ring 4/5 times a day including Sat and Sun, weeded out the PRICE SHOPPERS by asking " Are you looking for the CHEAPEST PRICE?" if that answered YES I told them they were talking to the wrong man!!

I would be getting 2 genuine enqiries a day which I personally went out and SOLD to, my conversion rate was 95%!!

Nothing wrong with Yellow Pages if YOU work it to YOUR advantage.
I get better looking each day!!

Alan Brooker. Aqualink Carpet Care

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 01:07:10 am »
Costings. Yellow pages half page full colour, Yell.com and 118247. around £5000inc vat per area.
Joe Polish ideas are good. But are you a glove puppet? Be creative with joes content. Target an affluent area not just because it's on your doorstep. Get a good colour photo of your own work in the ad. Make sure colour and contrast are spot on with photo adjustments and save the file as a huuuuuuuge .TIF   Pin sharp ad.
But all this is only to get your name out there as you know. Work it. ;)
Experience does not qualify as Knowledge and Understanding.
Understand how and why and you'll produce great results.

IICRC, Woolsafe, Fenice & LTT trained.
Member of Eco Carpet Care, NCCA & Woolsafe.

cleaning co

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 04:05:34 am »
i think its nice ad,but is that a freephone number?  if so take it out  only ever put your local number in this is a must !!!     9/10 people when looking for services in a phone book will auto look for the code for their area before even reading an ad  fact !!

carpetclean

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 06:34:01 am »
i agree with the last post even from my own experience looking in y/p for what ever i need doing i would not ring free numbers as i think big company! no personal care , i want someone local who's friendly not some tw-t sat in an office earning money off sub contractors.
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

Scott Martin

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 05:37:15 pm »
Carpetclean-

who are you calling a twat....................................i work the tools everyday so watch the cheek.

conallon

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 09:05:05 pm »
Red its probably not that your  ugly, husbands ect do not want you alone with there woman  ;D

Conrad

p.s catch 22

Mike Halliday

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 02:40:40 pm »
I criticised red carpets Ad so I think its only fair to post my rough copy of what I'm planning this year.
this what I've done on my computor, the Y/P will do it better, 

homenclean

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2006, 02:56:26 pm »
Why not show your free phone and your local number, people know your local and they dont have to pay for the call. i do this in all my adds and get a reasonable response. also over the years i have found that it is not always the size of your add it is the content keep it short and too the point people dont want to read a short story. the position of the add within the book makes a big differance to respose, people read from left to right so an add on the left hand side of the left page is better than one in the crease of the book.

Yours
John

the red carpet

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2006, 03:46:29 pm »
Thanks mike,
That ad will definatly pull more customers because of all the offers, i use most of those offers on my leaflets and they work well.
Dont know why but i was under the impression you couldnt use offers in the y/p ???
I was thinking of doing it but after looking through my local y/p not one person is doing it in any catagory, havent done for the last 3 years i just checked in my old books for my area and surronding areas.

Are you sure they allow it?

carpetclean

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2006, 06:05:19 pm »
reply to scott just noticed your reply to me !!!??? i was not being personal in any way and no offence meant i was just  stating my own prefrence and possibly others when searching yellow pages for any kind of trade and no way i would call you a thingy im far too respectful to other members so i apologise if it read that way
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

Phil Marlor

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2006, 09:15:02 pm »

The YP rep told me this year that it will soon be acceptable to add your prices to your advert.

This is a big mistake in my opinion as it will just become a price War, biggest advert with the best price will be bombarded with calls.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

Scott Martin

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2006, 11:33:41 pm »
carpetclean - no offence taken mate.

cleaning co

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2006, 06:49:01 am »
i know with the tompson book if u put prices in u hav to sign  papers saying u will  keep to them prices for the year that book is printed,if u dont a punter has a right to report u to trading standerds

mark_roberts

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006, 05:08:15 pm »
Hi Mike

Just curious but if i go for the 3 for 2 offer then I get them protected for free?? and if Im an OAP I get 10% off on top of that??  How did you do your sums?

and whats that machine you got??  are you buffing carpets instead of your TM.

thanks
Mark

Mike Halliday

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006, 05:24:01 pm »
Mark they can only chose one of the offers, if they go for 3 for 2 then they can't also ask for free stain guard

they get  the through lounge (£70ish) & Hall,stairs landing (£50ish) then they will get a bedroom or dining room done for free, this will take an extra 15mins I still walk out of the house with £120 if they are oaps then I will knock of £12 but I find OAPs don't have dirty carpets ;) so are quicker.

I've done these specail offers last jan & this month it does'nt make any differance to my earnings they just get more rooms cleaned.

the free stainguard cost me £5 a room not a great deal.

Mike

ABLECLEAN

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2006, 09:18:18 pm »
Hi Red

Your ad is similar to mine. I have a photo of myself cleaning with the machine and wand in full view.  I have done a lot of research with my customers and they all said the ads with all the Joe Polish type text was too small to read. They look for 1) A Local firm.
     2) A professional looking photo
     3) A few lines of text which tells them the basics.
     4) a large phone number.

I never get asked if I am in the NCCA or similar.
I very rarely get asked if I am insured.
In fact I book almost all of my jobs on the phone (and I am not cheap).

The trick is to sell yourself!!. Come across as the professional that you are and you will do well.

My ad returned 17K last year.

Good luck

the red carpet

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2006, 10:27:45 pm »
As i thought a lot of mixed opinions.

Mike thinks its rubbish

Neil thinks it needs more info

scott martin thinks keep it short and sweet

Mark reckons dump the pics

Alan reckons you need full coulor photos

Cleaning co likes it

Homenclean reckons keep it short

Ableclean thinks its fine, and had a simualer ad that pulled £17000

And iv been advised to keep it full colour, go two colour, and keep it black on white ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
 ??? ??? ???

Anyway i apreciate all your advice but obviously couldnt follow it all.
I am having a few changes done at the minute and will post the final copy back on hear for you all to see.

I will then let you all know how it works for me, so anyone thinking of using somthing simualer will have a idea how much and what sort of work this type of ad will attract.

cleaning co

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2006, 11:57:25 pm »
lol ;D

Scott Martin

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2006, 06:24:50 pm »
bet you wont ask for advice in a hurry again.

ha ha

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2006, 11:24:32 pm »
Ok now I'm really wound up >:(
Just been posted latest Yellow Pages directory for new area.
My company is Aqualink... First letter in the alphabet, you'd think I'd be somewhere near the front of the classification.
FOUR PAGES OF SCABBY LITTLE AD'S WITH   ...........................0.0.0.0.0.1.1.1.1.A.A.AAAA...Zebra carpet cleaners >:( >:( >:(
I'm seven pages back!
AAAAARRRGGHHHHHHH!
Yellow Pages rep specifically told me that this  dot dot dot rubbish had now been stopped.
I probably spend more on advertising than these idiots turn over in six months or more.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2006, 06:28:10 am »
Alan

if your rep told you that go to them and complain, they will give you upto 50% of if you do it.

Happens over here to but rep has said nothing about this being cancelled.

Neil

mark_lane

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 09:01:36 am »
Hi Alan
I was also told that they were stopping all that  AA rubbish.

craigp

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2006, 09:09:26 am »
tell them you been mis-sold

the red carpet

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2006, 06:56:08 pm »
if you cant beat them join them.

you know it happens you should have gone in as.........................................a....a.a.a.a.a.a.a..aqualink

From   
..The Red Carpet

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2006, 09:02:16 am »
Yellow pages are stopping all the dot dot aaaaa 11111 nonsense from April this year. Anyone using these tactics will automatically be placed at the rear of the catagory.
FINALLY this section of the yellow pages wont look like something that you'd expect to see in a childrens playschool! :D

Scott Martin

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2006, 09:52:12 pm »
It was supposed to be stopped 2 years ago here in Glasgow.

Told the same on Sh it every time

mark_lane

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2006, 11:54:26 pm »
Hi guys
This will be my first time using Y/P and iam not impresseed with them atall,i find iam always having to chase them up to find out  about how progress is going with my advert before publication ,if there is a problem they do not let you know,leaving it for you to have to  find out by chance.I Will definatley be looking to go with Thomson next time as they seem to be getting their act together.
                        cheers mark

craigp

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2006, 01:21:19 pm »
dont go with tompson rubbish response, even when i was biggest ad in there, never even made money back, and they say they are doing you a deal but there prices are fixed, one sales men even tried gave me a price inc. VAT they when squeezed gave me price before VAT as a perceved deal.  im not that stupid, well...

carpetclean

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2006, 04:41:45 pm »
i agree with last comment thompsons are the pits with poor reps who once they have your money dont give a damn i will never deal with them again. also i seem to get the bottom end of the market from thompsons unlike yp
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

Neil Grainger

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2006, 06:30:48 pm »
A friend of mine's father is a director of Yellow pages and I got him to ask the question about this .... 1st call rubish. Its a salemans ploy to get the customer to go in by saying it is going to be stopped.

It is not going to happen because some of their big customers do it so they are at the front of their section and they demand to be a the front. The only other way to do it is by doing what Thomson do and the company that pay the most gets to the front all the time in every directory.

Its a sale's ploy dont beleive them. Try to get that in writing from the sales rep, i bet he wont do it.