jim mca

Re: another groupon sorry
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 10:37:22 am »
There must be a lot of desperate carpet cleaners out there to try this and as Helen says the discounts are a breach of advertising standards and need reporting business is really bad at the moment and likely to get worse next year I would try and get another source of income before working for peanuts.

Jim

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 11:37:55 am »
No Jim Helen didn't say
the discounts are a breach of advertising standards

she said that some companies were being looked into for that ................

Not the same thing.

I did not raise my prices to go on there, and I resent the implication that I did........................

The Great One

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 11:45:24 am »
Saw one on a write up somewhere the other day that advertsing standards are now hot on the case of Groupon and some of it's advertisers. The percentage discounts are now getting too high and that can only mean that "original" prices have been inflated to give a misleading discount.
Saw on the other day and it had a restriction to 150 sq feet. Worked it back to what the price would be without the Groupon voucher and it was something like £7.25 per sq mt.
If Ad standards were to investigate this company I think that they would have to be able to prove that they had consistently charged that price prior to Groupon......which brings about if they are charging that price, and getting it then why go Groupon :)

The Supermarkets do this all the time.

they have this amazing sale but they inflate the prices beforehand so with the discount they are out a few pennies at most and some prices are even higher with the discount than they were origianally.

An example is Detol mould and mildew remover which i use, used to be £1.53, with the price drop now £1.90.

Go figure ::)

Martin 8)

Helen

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 12:01:42 pm »
Thanks Hector, it is not a breach of advertising standards, they are misleading adverts which ad stands are looking into, firstly with the way groupon show them and then to the businesses offering them.

You got your car back yet?

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 12:41:35 pm »
yes Helen, a local scrappie near me had a wheel that would fit, so yesterday morning bought the wheel went down to Basingstoke in our other vehicle and collected the thing.....

;D

Helen

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 12:46:48 pm »
yes Helen, a local scrappie near me had a wheel that would fit, so yesterday morning bought the wheel went down to Basingstoke in our other vehicle and collected the thing.....

;D

Jeez 2 vehicles!!!!! not bad for a business that went bust ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 12:47:21 pm »
 ;D ;D

robert meldrum

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 01:06:46 pm »
The law was that anything being offered at a " discounted from " price must have advertised or had for sale,  the " previously higher " price within 28 days of the current advert.

In National or multi outlet companies a product could have been on sale in one store in the country at the higher price to qualify.

Not sure they stick to that rule nowadays.

The Glasgow offer is well worded in the " deal section " but seriously flawed in the geographical area covered which is huge.

Bob Robertson

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 06:21:17 pm »

"The Glasgow offer is well worded in the " deal section " but seriously flawed in the geographical area covered which is huge."

Your right there Robert, from Ayr to Glasgow to clean 3 carpets for around £15  ;D

Robert Watson

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 08:31:53 pm »
Bob, pay attention, Its £11.60
The Kitchen Door Centre

Bob Robertson

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 08:42:01 pm »
Even better Rab  ;D

Surly questions should be asked of an NCCA member, supposedly setting industry standards... running around like a splash and dash!!!

cannon

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 08:50:38 pm »
Well this fella sold a little shy of 500 "deals" over the 2 days, even at 5 jobs a day it will take him a solid 100 days, and for approx £5800 turnover less expenses, it can only end in tears!

In response to an earlier post can you believe there is actually a dentist on todays groupon  ;D ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 08:54:44 pm »
Look on the bright side while he is running around he'll be full up and can't book anymore customers in, every cloud has a silver lining!

Shaun

Stevieoneill

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 10:24:11 pm »
Bob, I run Scotclean Services (NCCA member) in Kilmarnock.  When I found out about Regency (Ayr) doing this offer this morning, I dreaded that my phone would go dead between now and xmas.  By the end of this afternoon, I had taken 6 bookings - around £500 worth of work!  So thankfully it does not seem to be deterring everyone in Ayrshire from choosing price over quality!

As you eluded to Bob, the thing that is bothering me now, is how an NCCA member (or any cleaner committed to delivering high standards) can clean 2 rooms and a hallway in just 1 hour???

andrew christopher

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 10:31:20 pm »
i want someone to do Groupon in my area so i can have my own carpets cleaned! I hate doing my own and at the Groupon rate id pay my time is better spent doing something else.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 07:36:50 am »
Wow 537 deals :o
This is a huge geographic area to cover at £11.40 each. Seems like utter madness to me but probably good news for his competitors in the end. And with so many jobs to do he'll either give up on them when he realises the enormity of what's before him or take so long in doing the jobs it will cause lots of problems for groupon which is a good thing because the more problems they get from carpet cleaning deals gone wrong the more likely they are to say, 'no more carpet cleaning'
Is this guy an NCCA member, can't find the company on their website?

Simon

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 07:47:13 am »
http://www.regencyclean.com/

this is his website Simon he is also woolsafe and IIRC
 ;D ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 08:01:57 am »
May be he's got people dotted all over Scotland so can split the jobs. I notice he does Crime Scene Clean up, he may need it as there may be blood on the carpet of whoever thought this ingenius money making scheme up. ;D ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 08:06:17 am »
Hi Guys

What happens when the CC realises his folly and just decides he is not going to honour his contarct, do Groupon come after him?

Cheers

Doug

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 08:10:26 am »
Doug,
I think they just take it on the chin. Apparently they get it all of the time, at least that is the inference when they rung my wife up trying to get us to join.

Simon