cannon

another groupon sorry
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:03:16 pm »
http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/newcastle

Check this one out is it the best(worst) yet do you think? He only done one about 2 month back. 257 bought.

My phone is dead if it wasnt for a few ovens i would have nothing, decent ranking website (though dropping off google maps has practically killed off web enquiries) ive reactivated my adwords, sent out mailshot (limited database to date) ad in 15,000 community directories and thousands of leaflets out.

And still nothng apart from a few referals, now im not saying its all ths fellas fault but it isnt helping.

Carpet job booked in for tomorow cancelled, his wife had went and booked the company they normally use, large victorian town house lounge,stairs bedroom and a rug for £35  :'(   no way I could match that and couldnt bring them round on quality as apparently he does a gud job.

Someone give me groupons number I think i might be needing it.

Re: another groupon sorry
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:23:03 pm »
I feel for you mate.
For the life of me I still can't understand why people take a chance with a tradesman who only advertises a mobile number.....Don't you have Pikey's up your way?

cannon

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:29:52 pm »
3 carpets or a three piece suite for £29  :o :o what does he get?? half? £14.50  :o

Absolutly bonkers, he must have only just finished off the last set of groupon, he is effectively an employee of groupon but for less than min wage.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:11:32 am »
he gets half less vat
so gets £11.60 he may however have managed to negotiate a better deal

but not that much better I will wager.......

in my opinion groupon is the kiss of death..............................

Steve Gunn

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:27:48 am »
Certainly a lot quieter than previous years not down to just groupon more advertising in the local paper advertising cheap deals and given people's current situations cheap suits them regardless of the quality of the clean

Ps got an oven for you to do down in Seaburn beginning of December will ring you later to confirm date

Helen

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:55:17 am »
Certainly a lot quieter than previous years not down to just groupon more advertising in the local paper advertising cheap deals and given people's current situations cheap suits them regardless of the quality of the clean

Agree there with you. Mind you with the phone not ringing so much, has given me time to concentrate a bit more on our advertising etc ;D
Mind you we dont see "cheap" cleaning adverts in the local paper as the advertsing costs are astronomical with them.
I was amazed driving round some of our industrial estates the other day to pick up new names etc and the amount of office space that is empty is unbelievable! The town centre is dead and yet we are in the run up to Xmas, so I guess everyone is really holding back!

As for Groupon, I am not so sure that it does take away normal business. If these people weren't receiving these daily deals through, would they be thinking of having their carpets cleaned or having a helicopter flight? probably not.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 08:18:56 am »
Canon,

I feel for your predicament. November is always quite slack anyway and things should pick up for xmas. The guy doing Groupon will eventually disappear, that's pretty much guaranteed as Groupon is the kiss of death for very small operators, so in the end you'll have one less competitor to worry about.

Simon

clinton

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 08:23:42 am »
Keep in there cannon..

As simon said these deals will finish off that guy doing the cheap work..

JandS

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:45:58 pm »
Link you posted is for hairdressing!!!!!!!!!

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

AshWhite

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 02:03:17 pm »
Link you posted is for hairdressing!!!!!!!!!

John

They alternate the main offer, CC'ing is on the right hand side now
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

steven Banks

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 02:28:14 pm »
Only 15 have bought into it. So that leaves plently of scope for the rest of the NE?
I dont know how they make any money. It's not a business if they don't make any brass. Do groupon do offers for dentists?  ;D

Helen

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 02:41:56 pm »
Only 15 have bought into it. So that leaves plently of scope for the rest of the NE?
I dont know how they make any money. It's not a business if they don't make any brass. Do groupon do offers for dentists?  ;D
Think the offer was running yesterday aswell, not sure how many went then!

Dentists yes seen them before......4 out for the price of 1 and 72% off fillings (small print did read though that there was no anaethestic included!!!! ;D)

cannon

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 02:49:57 pm »
He sold nearlly 300 yesterday and hes back on today

Scott Fraser

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 03:54:00 pm »
I had a phone call the other day from Gumtree offering pretty much the same thing as groupon but exposure on there front page of there website. Same kind of set up as groupon.

as you say karl there just an employee of groupon and who wnats to be that  ???

Colin Day

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 04:57:54 pm »
With Groupon,the winner isn't the customer nor the business, but Groupon... They are smashing world records. In 3 years they have 83.1 million subscribers and are projected by Wall Street Journal to make $1bn in sales faster than any other business ever. Including Google, whose buyout offer of $6bn was politely turned down...

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee...

cannon

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 05:37:10 pm »

Ps got an oven for you to do down in Seaburn beginning of December will ring you later to confirm date

Cheers Steve

Simon Moat

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 10:05:31 pm »
Hi Karl,

How effective did you find Adwords?

Think it could be the way forward for a few of us.

Simon.

John Kelly

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 10:24:38 pm »
And they still haven't made a profit. I think the link posted the other day about Groupon on the BBC news site was spot on.

Helen

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 09:37:41 am »
Saw one on a write up somewhere the other day that advertsing standards are now hot on the case of Groupon and some of it's advertisers. The percentage discounts are now getting too high and that can only mean that "original" prices have been inflated to give a misleading discount.
Saw on the other day and it had a restriction to 150 sq feet. Worked it back to what the price would be without the Groupon voucher and it was something like £7.25 per sq mt.
If Ad standards were to investigate this company I think that they would have to be able to prove that they had consistently charged that price prior to Groupon......which brings about if they are charging that price, and getting it then why go Groupon :)