clarkson

truckmount vs porty
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:46:40 am »

sorry couldnt resist ;D

i have had several posts running recently about my replacement cc machine. iam having a rethink.

due to used  porty's going for top dollar, had several airflexes offered close to 2000 new 3-4000 etc.

i also have had only one serious offer on my old alltec.  I am thinking of keeping it as a backup machine.

i noticed ians prowler on for 3500. would this sort of thing be a better option then. we are getting busier on carpets now so although it is overkill at the minute it would future proof us. its also an incentive to get cracking on the marketing.

i thought i would have to spend 10, 000's to get truckmounted. is there more to consider what about tanks etc.

what names for entry level truckmounts. heard of blazer,prowler and a few others.

cheers

john 

Andrew Briscoe

Re: truckmount vs porty
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:08:55 am »
Personally at 3.5 k i would buy Ians Prowler, for not much more than a new porty, has to be value for money.
Knowing what i do now, if i was starting out i would go for the Prowler or a Pheonix from Dave Ingram, both different to each other, but nice compact units.

All depends how busy you are, after having a porty or two i went for a Steamway for a year and then moved on to a Maxx 470 in a sprinter van, this suits our business very much, it will depend what suits you for your business model. Also how busy you are, and where you see yourself going with the business.

Andrew

derek west

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:01:27 pm »
i think the pheonix is definately a good choice, have a chat with billy russel, he's had one for about 7 months now and annoys the hell out of me with his, "mines got more suction than yours, ner ner ne ner nerrrr"  ;D cheers mr ingram, i just can't shut him up now you told him that. ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:27:10 pm »
I've been promising a cc down south that I would give him a demo with the Titan. He arranged to very similar sized jobs, both £140'ish  each. He did the first with his twin vac portable and envirodri and was half way through the lounge when I got there. Can't knock the quality of the job he'd done as it was spot on.
We went to the second job and did it with the Titan. 2 bedrooms, lounge and hall. It took us 1 hour 10 minutes for £140.
He wouldn't tell me how long the first job had taken him until we'd finished the secod job as his main interest was in the productivity of a Tm v the portable system.
'You've just save me three hours,' he said.
I think the economics speak for themselves 8)
Simon

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 12:43:09 pm »
My mate has a chemspec truckmount in my unit which he is selling for £2500 an absolute bargain i know the machine and have demoed if for a few interested people and it runs perfect.

why it hasn't sold i have no idea

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »
Over 4 hours to clean 3 rooms and a hall - what the bloody hell was he doing all that time ?! :o

I would bite Ian's hand off for 3500 for the prowler - if I wasn't tapped out paying for my wedding I would have had it myself.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:38:33 pm »
Over 4 hours to clean 3 rooms and a hall - what the bloody hell was he doing all that time ?! :o

As I was reading down the thread, I was doing the maths and thought the same thing :o
I'll always accept that a TM is faster than a portable but it all depends on where you want to go with your carpet cleaning.
I have first refusal on a quite new transit with TM fitted. Trouble is I have plans to slow down over the next few years so is it worth spending out so much when I can carry on as I currently do with the scorpian/LM.
If I thought I still had 20 years in me doing such a physical job then of course it would make sense to go down the TM route.

Simon, next time your down this way let me know because I would like to see your TM system.

steven Banks

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 06:58:00 pm »
My mate has a chemspec truckmount in my unit which he is selling for £2500 an absolute bargain i know the machine and have demoed if for a few interested people and it runs perfect.

why it hasn't sold i have no idea

Is this the Ebay one that is listed time & time again?

Colin Day

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 07:11:17 pm »
I did three bedrooms, stairs, hallway and a bathroom carpet today, 1 hour 20 minutes on the dot. If you're organised enough and methodical, it's a doddle with a porty.  ;)

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 07:25:15 pm »
If you think any machine future-proofs you, you've got another thing coming ;D  Whatever you 've got, you always want something else!  But something like a prowler or phoenix will definitely bump you up to the next level mate.

Generally accepted rule of thumb is that a TM is roughly twice as quick as a portable, but all depends on what truckmount you're comparing to what portable!

If comparing a scorpion to a prowler the gap will be much smaller than comparing a ninja to a titan!

I've found domestic carpet work averages half the time it used to, that's comparing a ninja to a bluewave which is a mid-to-upper range TM in terms of power

Upholstery, not quite so much time saving if you pre-spray and agitate prior to extraction, maybe 3 to 3.5 hours with a ninja compared to about 2 with the TM.  There's not as much donkey work the TM can take away on upholstery, seems as much more of it is in the preparation (at least the way I do it)

On big commercial carpet jobs, the time gap increases a bit more I've found.  BUT the most important thing is you don't work yourself into the ground with a TM, you just crack along at a decent pace and you're nowhere near as knackered as with a portable.  An RX-20 reduces the fatigue even less.

With a constant flow tool like a drimaster or sapphire, coupled with a good extraction detergent, you can also thrash through big volumes of commercial upholstery cleaning.  A lot of the time you only need to pre-spray and scrub the bad parts, you can just do the rest with the rinse from the tool.

Don't even give a TM a second thought, once you get one you'll never look back.  As your namesake Jeremy would say... POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRR :D :D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »
 [/quote]

[/quote]

he has had it on EBay, but he listed it badly..... not enough info & photos

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 08:21:20 pm »

[/quote]

he has had it on EBay, but he listed it badly..... not enough info & photos
[/quote]

I thought the same Mike - either he's not fussed about selling it or he needs an ad writer.

elliott cleaning

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:41 pm »

Come on Steve - you know what we're like down south - so laid back that we're horizontal most of the time.

It might be one thing as to how long we take - the other side of the equation is how much we charge  them for the benefit of our presence ;)

Regards

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 08:49:16 pm »
I was / still am interested in it but I couldn't find much out about the machine from other users to get an overall feel for what kind of a machine it is, reputation wise.
I just worried about parts etc, especailly with the hours on it.

Simon

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 08:51:03 pm »

Come on Steve - you know what we're like down south - so laid back that we're horizontal most of the time.

It might be one thing as to how long we take - the other side of the equation is how much we charge  them for the benefit of our presence ;)

Regards

I agree entirely my learned friend, even so I think he must be drinking too much tea with the client to be taking that long  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 09:47:59 pm »
Steve,
He's really meticulous and it shows in his work. Like most newbies, he's never seen other more efficient ways of doing things and has collected a lot of bad habits that cost lots of time.

Simon

clarkson

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 09:54:59 pm »

I would bite Ian's hand off for 3500 for the prowler - if I wasn't tapped out paying for my wedding I would have had it myself.

hi steve
iam thinkin the same, but then as others are saying much wants more so then i would want a titan.

did you sell the ninja, if you sold the ninja for 1300  magma for 350 and airflex you would be about there wouldnt you.

i need to do more research on them as dont fully understand them and the difference between the models.

then of course if you buy a stand alone unit you still need a van so price starts going up. with a porty i can use the window cleaning vivaro.

cheers

john

neil kellett

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 11:04:24 pm »
Same as myself i use the Vivaro. Got an Ionics in there and when I reverse into the drive way, I fill up the sol tank of the Advance with pure water and feed the hose out of the van. An unsuspecting custard or passer by nosey parker would think it is a TM as the ionics has that kind of look with the baffeled tank bolted into the chassis. What I'd love to know is, With a prowler, could you hook it up to the pump with the hoze lock connectors? The pump has an auto switch off so the situation would be, as I depress the trigger on the stair tool or rotovac or wand or whatever the pump would come back on and force water into the Prowler? Would that damage the pump? Could the Prowler handle that? Where is the waste tank? Is it a separate hose into the toilet type of thing? Can a prowler be left on the van during the winter? Is the one going for 3500 the old model that looks like a steam engine or that newer model? Just wondering.
Vilyetyet' c paboti mozhna v dva c4yota!
One can lose a job in the blink of an eye!

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 05:06:25 am »
I did three bedrooms, stairs, hallway and a bathroom carpet today, 1 hour 20 minutes on the dot. If you're organised enough and methodical, it's a doddle with a porty.  ;)

Well  explain your method of organization ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

clarkson

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 02:04:20 pm »
Same as myself i use the Vivaro. Got an Ionics in there and when I reverse into the drive way, I fill up the sol tank of the Advance with pure water and feed the hose out of the van. An unsuspecting custard or passer by nosey parker would think it is a TM as the ionics has that kind of look with the baffeled tank bolted into the chassis. What I'd love to know is, With a prowler, could you hook it up to the pump with the hoze lock connectors? The pump has an auto switch off so the situation would be, as I depress the trigger on the stair tool or rotovac or wand or whatever the pump would come back on and force water into the Prowler? Would that damage the pump? Could the Prowler handle that? Where is the waste tank? Is it a separate hose into the toilet type of thing? Can a prowler be left on the van during the winter? Is the one going for 3500 the old model that looks like a steam engine or that newer model? Just wondering.

hi
careful doing that. i know its different but i fed a pressure washer with my wfp pump. it bust the pump, i think the pw pulled to much and had a syphoning effect on the diaghram.

but iam wondering if i could use the 650 wfp tank as a water supply.?

cheers

john

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 03:21:04 pm »
Upholstery, not quite so much time saving if you pre-spray and agitate prior to extraction, maybe 3 to 3.5 hours with a ninja compared to about 2 with the TM.  There's not as much donkey work the TM can take away on upholstery, seems as much more of it is in the preparation (at least the way I do it)

What would be the fuel cost of a Bluewave running for 2 hours at the revs required for upholstery?

Thackley Cleaning Services

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 03:22:56 pm »
Hi lads,

for a (relatively) new person to carpet cleaning who has used a couple of portys (steempro and powerflite) is the difference in speed that Jim was talking about due to you needing less passes to clean over the carpet, or that the passes you make are faster ?

its hard for guys like us with portys to appreciate the difference until we actually start using a TM or a prowler.

Also do TM guys pre-spray etc for really bad jobs or do you rely on the high psi / suction of the TM to do the job for you ?

thanks,

dan

neil kellett

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 03:56:18 pm »
What about having a tap or outlet fitted to the bottom of the tank. That way you could screw off the top and just fill it instead of purifying it in. You could then just use it as a bowser for pressure washing or for the prowler. Is it possible to fit a tap to a baffeled tank which is installed in a van without disrupting the wfp system. That way you could leave the prowler on the van and be rerady to clean carpets there and then. (or atleast show case to your wc custys by doing a free bull nose as a sample?) I can't leave the Alltec advance on the van, too many electrics for the dampish environment on it and its not robust enough, it would get scuffed and is too cumbersome to work around. I'd like to sel it and trade up to the prowler. Again, is the prowler something that can be left on the van all year round?

hi
careful doing that. i know its different but i fed a pressure washer with my wfp pump. it bust the pump, i think the pw pulled to much and had a syphoning effect on the diaghram.

cheers

john

Billy Russell

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 09:21:36 pm »
i think the pheonix is definately a good choice, have a chat with billy russel, he's had one for about 7 months now and annoys the hell out of me with his, "mines got more suction than yours, ner ner ne ner nerrrr"  ;D cheers mr ingram, i just can't shut him up now you told him that. ;D

In the words of the great Tina Turner.................................

Your simply the BEST, BETTER than all the rest, better than any tm, any tm i've every met!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

clarkson

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »
What about having a tap or outlet fitted to the bottom of the tank. That way you could screw off the top and just fill it instead of purifying it in. You could then just use it as a bowser for pressure washing or for the prowler. Is it possible to fit a tap to a baffeled tank which is installed in a van without disrupting the wfp system. That way you could leave the prowler on the van and be rerady to clean carpets there and then. (or atleast show case to your wc custys by doing a free bull nose as a sample?) I can't leave the Alltec advance on the van, too many electrics for the dampish environment on it and its not robust enough, it would get scuffed and is too cumbersome to work around. I'd like to sel it and trade up to the prowler. Again, is the prowler something that can be left on the van all year round?

hi

cheers

john

derek west

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »

In the words of the great Tina Turner.................................

Your simply the BEST, BETTER than all the rest, better than any tm, any tm i've every met!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

i rest my case on the "camp" comment i made on an earlier thread. ;D

clarkson

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 09:42:07 pm »

hi

cheers

john

thats what i do  i have a dual tap from dual pumps, it has a three quarter inch outlet and a normal tap outlet for pressure washing. i only have delivery system in van so i can fill with pure water from static or tap water with a hose. i could fill a porty with this. truckmount,  i dont know what the demand is but 650 is a lot of water by cc standards :)

Jim_77

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 11:12:02 pm »
What would be the fuel cost of a Bluewave running for 2 hours at the revs required for upholstery?

The machine would only be running for 45-60 minutes, depending on the job.  Mine runs on LPG, fuel cost would only be a few quid for that.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 08:12:22 am »
So still no great advantage in using a portable in its place when you have a TM unless access was the issue. The hour saving still outweighs the fuel cost.

derek west

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 01:58:11 pm »
it costs me around £5 an hour to run my truckmount, the illusion though is that if i say it takes me 2 hours to clean a big suite then people assume it costs me around £10 in petrol, where as the true cost is around £4, as most of a suite clean is taken up with prespray and brush agitation, 40 mins max to rinse out.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 03:07:31 pm »
As Derek says, the Tm is only running when you are actually cleaning. My Titan averages £128 per running hour at a cost of £5ph.

Simon

Jim_77

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 04:45:33 pm »
Having said all that, the fuel cost per hour isn't the full picture :)

Every 100 hours you put on the machine you have to do an oil/filter change.  Then every year it needs a full service.  So in reality every hour you put on the truckmount also incurs a % of the servicing costs.  That will be different for everyone, depending on how much you use the machine and how much you pay for your servicing!  But for argument's sake say it's another £1.50 you have to add on to your hourly running cost.  Still not bad!

I'm actually pleasantly surprised how well my machine has done in the first couple of years I've had it.  Apart form a couple of teething problems and one stupid mistake of my own, it has been pretty much trouble-free and not thrown any unexpected repair bills at me.

I've cursed myself now haven't I ;D

Ricky M

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 06:20:56 pm »
Jim, Famous last words there !
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

richy27

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 11:06:33 am »
and dont forget diff size tms have diff running costs my little spitfire is very cheap to run and maintain and for my first tm is perfect.  bit like my first car

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 03:10:26 pm »
There seems to be a popular fallacy, mostly in the minds on non TM'ers that TM's are expensive to maintain. Nothing could be further from the truth, in my experience. Yes, the parts can be expensive but modern machines are so durable and reliable that most of the major components run perfectly for 1,000's of hours. And when you consider the sheer revenue earning potential of a TM, the odd part here and there is a drop in the ocean.

Simon

Mike Halliday

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 04:46:43 pm »
I totally agree with Simon, the service cost of a T/M are insignificant.

to use the figures that have been quoted on this topic....

Derek has his T/M running for 40mins on a suite

Jim N says a t/m need servicing every 100hrs

so if I only cleaned suites I could clean approx 130 suite per service interval  if i charged say £100 (for mathematical ease) then I will have taken £13,000......if i took the day off work drove to Cornwall and paid H/M to do the service it still would be an small amount compared to the money its made me.

and what about the guys charging £130, £150 £180 to clean suites

derek west

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 05:01:10 pm »
i bet the maintenance difference in cost is not that big between porty and truck. you porty guys go through a lot of vacs by the sounds of it and theres pat testing and defoamer (defoamers not cheap i bet)  which i hardly use.

Colin Day

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 08:41:10 pm »
i bet the maintenance difference in cost is not that big between porty and truck. you porty guys go through a lot of vacs by the sounds of it and theres pat testing and defoamer (defoamers not cheap i bet)  which i hardly use.

I've had the Alltec 2 years with no vac/pump changes. It has cost me £40 for a new tank lid and about £80 for a new plunger kit and seals... Oh, and I use about 5 litres of de-foamer in about every 2 months. so that's £120 a year... So over a year (on average) the porty's cost me £120 a year or £10 a month... ;)

Colin Day

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 08:42:17 pm »
Oh and Pat testing costs me a living room carpet clean.... :)

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 09:12:32 pm »
I've had the Alltec 2 years with no vac/pump changes.

Scorpian 4 years maybe 5 with one vac motor changed £120 and customer fuels it with their electric ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 09:32:50 pm »
I've had the Alltec 2 years with no vac/pump changes.

Scorpian 4 years maybe 5 with one vac motor changed £120 and customer fuels it with their electric ;D

Oh yeah, I forgot about how we don't need to spend extra money on fuel.... ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 09:34:56 pm »
Yeah, but neatly avoided the fact that you can only do a fraction the sales a TM can. ;D

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »
Yeah, but neatly avoided the fact that you can only do a fraction the sales a TM can. ;D

How is this a "fact"? Where's the proof? Personaly I think this is a myth. Sure you save some time not filling buckets and emptying but enough time saved to add 2 or 3 jobs on a day??

Plus porty users can literely clean anything and anywhere! i.e. no access issues.

Just out of intrest. How many jobs did you do today Simon? on your own or with a helper.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 09:48:15 pm »
Carpetdawg,
The vast majority of TM users used to have portys, me included, so we've seen the world from both sides. The fact is that tm's are more productive and therefore earn more money which is why we pay the money for them.

Simon

Colin Day

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 09:55:06 pm »
I drive past a van with a TM nearly every day.... It's ALWAYS parked up...!

Colin Day

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »
And.... I know someone who is getting rid of their TM, because they NEED to work harder to pay for the TM's upkeep.... :o

AshWhite

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2011, 09:58:11 pm »
I drive past a van with a TM nearly every day.... It's ALWAYS parked up...!

That's cos he's already been out and earned his crust for the day  :P
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Colin Day

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 10:03:09 pm »
At 9 O'Clock ???

Colin Day

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 10:05:18 pm »
I'm sure I spotted spider's webs all over it and a swallow's nest under the left hand wing mirror :-*

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 10:11:19 pm »
He doesn't need to turn out much before 11:00, just to give the porty boys a head start but will still be home by three sipping tea whilst counting the cash ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 pm »
Dream on..... ;D

AshWhite

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2011, 10:16:52 pm »
I must confess that I never start before 9.30am - In an area with a large factory workforce it's not worth upsetting one of the neighbours by waking him from a post night shift sleep too early.

Colin Day

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2011, 10:25:19 pm »
But if you go by what a lot of TMr's go on on about, surely this van would ALWAYS be out working... Seems to me like you're clutching at straws Ash.... ;)

I go past this van at various times about 3 times a week.

Colin Day

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2011, 10:29:16 pm »
Colin,
My wad is bigger than yours ;D

I clean carpets to top my fat war pension up and to keep me out of the pub and pay for luxuries whilst the wife's pay (HOD Teacher) pays for the Mortgage, cars and utility/food bills....

So I'm, considerably... richer than Yow.....! ;D ;D ;D

AshWhite

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 10:32:08 pm »
Lol I wasn't wading into the tm vs porty debate, in fact it was more a concession AGAINST tm's- do other tm users do the same?

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 10:37:17 pm »
I think the time savings with a TM are minimum. You still have to pre-spray, agitate, move furniture etc some people even vaccum!!
Rinsing with a powerful porty doesn't take that long as it doesn't take that long with a TM.

The two benefits i see with a TM are
a) the not having to fill and empty. But does this really save enough time to add an extra couple or more jobs on a day??
b) a marketing thing. i.e. mines is bigger than yours! lol Granted a TM is a great marketing tool.

Personally I think people that went from porty to TM and think there was a HUGE time saving where just too slow and disorginised  with thier porty ;D :P

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 10:52:26 pm »
Which part is rubbish Simon? The minimum time saving or marketing tactic?

Do you just go in a rinse??

I'm pulling your leg mate  ;D

If I spent £30,000+ on a really big van mounted porty, I'd defend it to the hilt too!  ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 11:17:55 pm »
Some very good points Mr Dawg...

I now have 20 reasons why I SHOULD own a TM....

And a 100 why I SHOULDN'T.... ;D

Billy Russell

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2011, 07:38:39 am »
I'm with simon on this, tm all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just easier!!!!!! but some people prefer portables, fair enough, i have both, wouldn't life be boring if we we're all the same!!!!!!!!  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2011, 09:14:59 am »
I love portables, especially when my competitors keep using them. I even have a couple of my own to lend them when their's breakbrown. ;D

AshWhite

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2011, 09:17:20 am »
I love I even have a couple of my own to lend them when their's breakbrown. ;D

Come on Simon, you're making this too easy now..

:P

Ash

jon barnes

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2011, 11:09:13 am »
personally we couldnt do the level of work with a portable we do with our TM. we had a bane trcukmount before our phoenix and we can fit in between 1 and 2 more a day and still be home earlier. cant remember last time access was an issue but i can think of at least a dozen cases in the last couple of years where i  wouldnt of been able to do the job with an electric machine because of lack of power or pooe wiring. As to the extra cost surely you can justify extra ££ to the customer as your not using their electricty or hot water?

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2011, 01:26:40 pm »
mate... will you please explain exactly what makes a truck mount faster than a top of the range portable cleaner ?

Do you guys cut corners and miss out steps like pre-vaccing, or pre-spraying ?

Does the extra power of the machine mean that you make less passes ?

whats so effin great about a truckmount ?

thanks

jon barnes

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2011, 02:03:27 pm »
we havent changed our orgnisation much  but we certainly make fewer passes than we used to setting up/packing up is quicker than it used to be generally have to spend less time spotting as more dirt is flushed out this maybe different for others but these are some of the differences we've found 

Billy Russell

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2011, 04:48:04 pm »
Thackley,(sorry don't know your first name)

Those we're the same questions i asked, i went truckmounted in january this year, but before i did i went out for a day with one of the guy's off here who's truckmounted and it opened my eyes to a whole new world  ;D and at the time i was using one of the top of the range 3 vac portables! i cannot recommend enough going out with a trucky!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Billy IRONMAN Russell  ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2011, 09:00:10 pm »
How is this a "fact"? Where's the proof? Personaly I think this is a myth. Sure you save some time not filling buckets and emptying but enough time saved to add 2 or 3 jobs on a day??

I did two jobs today.  Both were 3-storey houses, cleaned all the way through, one furnished the other empty.  Probably 1800ft² of carpet plus 4 flights of stairs in total.

Total work time roughly 5 hours.... which included a chat over a cup of tea, playing with a dog for 5 minutes, trying to help the poor decorator fix a leaky pipe at the EOT plus about a 10 minute ciggy break cos I was playing with my iPhone.  Basically IO was taking my time and I could have chopped it down to 4 hours if I wasn't screwing around.

If I'd been doing that with portable machines I'd still be there now!

Thackley, a TM doesn't make you lazy or negligent in your cleaning, quite the opposite.  It teaches you the most important place in your cleaning system to put all of your effort into.  I laugh at myself when I think of all the time over the years I've wasted with a vacuum cleaner in my hand ;)

Unless a carpet 'looks' perfectly clean, pre-spraying is always a must in my opinion.  Very very few carpets I extract just with the chem in the rinse water (have founds solutions SPM to be very good for that purpose though)

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2011, 09:20:54 pm »

Your too late Jim.
Marks been telling us for some time how he does 3 storey town houses in 2 to 2.5 for some time......and with a porty :P

Warren Aldridge

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2011, 09:23:48 pm »
I'm going into my 12th month of trade in Sep and so starting to get the repeat business calls coming in.
I did a job yesterday which I did in my 2nd month. first time around I did it with a triple vac, took almost 6 hours. I appreciate part of that was to being new.

Yesterday I did it with my TM in 1.5 hours. I reckon it would have taken an extra hour with my triple vac so still halved.

But as I get on with my TM after 3 months now its taken time to get the confidence in it to do the leg work. The last few jobs I've cut down heavily on the agitation and spotting pre rinse. Where I would spend an hour agitating with an orbitor and spotting until clean I would use the TM like a glorified porty. Now I quickly run through the agitation and spot after rinse, or while rinsing. I run at 400 psi mostly and the TM batters dirty sections and still keeps the dry time minimal. Makes a huge difference in time and the results are exactly the same.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2011, 09:37:44 pm »
Years ago, ok, decades ago, we used to do a regular job in a pub. With a combination system (rotary scrubbing with portable hwse) took 7 hours overnight. Then we got our first TM so dropped the combination cleaning to just prespray and wand with TM. Job time dropped to 3 hours. Then we got an rx20, job time dropped to 1 hour 50 minutes.
Regardless of whether a TM does a better job, there is no doubt that they are a lot more efficient and can cover a lot more work than a portable system and that is what makes them such an attractive proposition.
Simon

Colin Day

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2011, 10:41:32 pm »
When I first started up, the school I do took me 2 weeks to clean with a porty. 3 years on and I do the same area in 3-4 days..... What's changed...? My time management mainly, because I still use a porty along with my OP machine.... :o

Time management is key in carpet cleaning, as indeed it is with any form of service where time is money... But if I really got to a point where I find I really can't be bothered with bucket lugging, I'll buy a TM and boast as much as I can about owning one..... ;D

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2011, 10:48:56 pm »
For our carpet cleaning division a truck mount is absolutely useless due to most work being carpet tile and Hi-rise office installations.

I only have 1 definate job per year where it would save us time. It's for our only domestic carpet cleaning customer.

We have considered one for our hard floor maintenance work but feel that high pressure/spinner type tools aren't great for natural stone and a truck is just too noisy to work on the poolside contracts we have due to a high portion of them being at hotels and done at night. We use a Alltec/Hydroforce Olympus on these.

clarkson

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2011, 07:14:18 pm »

hi
 iam coming to the conclusion that if you are a dedicated carpet cleaner, who has built up a round of customers and is inundated with work tm starts to make sense.

however for a start up or a bolt on like me where it is another string to my bow a new style porty will do
 if we get busier and faster and start to struggle to cope with work i could upgrade.

cheers

john

neil kellett

« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2011, 08:30:17 pm »
The thing with doing carpets as a bolt on is having to load up every time from scratch every time the dog rings. You can't with your damp van leave the gear on it, especially the electric portable. So you need to wheel it out, load it up, get your vac, , envirodri (or whatever you use for agitation) all of the wands, chems, attachments, sprayers, tools your air mover maybe and your bag of tricks. And you only need to forget one thing, as you do, to throw a spanner in. The lads using the Prowlers don't have that problem. They don't need to pre vac for starters coz of the heat they're getting. They don't need to empty the waste tank, coz it emptys as it sucks. They don't need to plug the vac side in downstairs and then the heater side in upstairs so as not to trip the switch. They mightened even need a turbo dryer as the sheer power would nearly leave them dry.

Its like the van mounted wc system, the quicker I can get water onto the glass the better. As opposed to the trollie dollies. I hate bringing the Advance into the customers home, its too noisy and awkward. I hate having to load it back into the van and then off back into the shed. I'm saving for a prowler.

Colin Day

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2011, 08:37:11 pm »
I concur that the Advance is a pain getting in and out of the van. It's a heavy, albeit well built bit of kit...

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2011, 09:02:59 pm »

I did two jobs today.  Both were 3-storey houses, cleaned all the way through, one furnished the other empty.  Probably 1800ft² of carpet plus 4 flights of stairs in total.

Total work time roughly 5 hours.... which included a chat over a cup of tea, playing with a dog for 5 minutes, trying to help the poor decorator fix a leaky pipe at the EOT plus about a 10 minute ciggy break cos I was playing with my iPhone.  Basically IO was taking my time and I could have chopped it down to 4 hours if I wasn't screwing around.

Thackley, a TM doesn't make you lazy or negligent in your cleaning, quite the opposite.  It teaches you the most important place in your cleaning system to put all of your effort into.  I laugh at myself when I think of all the time over the years I've wasted with a vacuum cleaner in my hand ;)

Unless a carpet 'looks' perfectly clean, pre-spraying is always a must in my opinion.  Very very few carpets I extract just with the chem in the rinse water (have founds solutions SPM to be very good for that purpose though)

thanks for the reply mate.

so you dont vac but still pre-spray and agitate yet still manage to shave off ridiculous amounts of working time.

So the TM just needs less passes to achieve max results.  Instead of going over areas twice, you are doing it once and its done.  I can see where that would save a lot of time over a portable.

Jim_77

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2011, 11:01:44 pm »
That's one thing, not only less passes but quicker passes too. The actual extraction part of a job must be at least 3 times the speed of a standard portable (maybe the gap with a top end portable is less).  Thats presuming you're going slow enough with the porty to flush properly ;)

Add to that the setup time: with a well organised TM setup you can back onto a drive, pull off 50ft of hose from the reel and have a whole empty house pre-sprayed within 10 mins

clarkson

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2011, 10:21:24 am »
The thing with doing carpets as a bolt on is having to load up every time from scratch every time the dog rings. You can't with your damp van leave the gear on it, especially the electric portable. So you need to wheel it out, load it up, get your vac, , envirodri (or whatever you use for agitation) all of the wands, chems, attachments, sprayers, tools your air mover maybe and your bag of tricks. And you only need to forget one thing, as you do, to throw a spanner in. The lads using the Prowlers don't have that problem. They don't need to pre vac for starters coz of the heat they're getting. They don't need to empty the waste tank, coz it emptys as it sucks. They don't need to plug the vac side in downstairs and then the heater side in upstairs so as not to trip the switch. They mightened even need a turbo dryer as the sheer power would nearly leave them dry.

i totally agree i have got it  down pat though have all the bits and bobs in plastic boxes so its machine hose wand boxes. still a pain though.

you think thats bad we do pressure washing as well. to machines several lances a whirlaway ibc tank hoses. it looks like we are a planning a small war when we load up.

My point was if you arent carpet cleaning all day everyday a tm in a dedicated van is an expensive piece of kit to have parked up.

john

Matt Lindus

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2011, 04:28:15 pm »
A small sole trader hand makes shoes for £1000 per pair from his shed. He feels sad that he only has 1 upmarket major customer and sells only 100 pairs per year. Most suppliers turn him down because of his stupidly high pricing, this upsets him greatly. He’s never really busy but has more than enough money due to very little overheads. He spends most of his time with the family at home and abroad.

His competitor has state of the art equipment that cost him £250000, he also employs staff, an engineer and rents his building. Because of this investment he can produce shoes on a large scale for £5 per pair. He produces 20000 Pairs of shoes in one year alone!!!! and supplys 25 major customers and wins almost every contract!!!! He's so pleased with himself, and laughs when he see's his competitors pathetic small set up in a shed.
Because of this volume of work he rarely see's his family, but he’s not bothered, he’s busy and earning!

Who’s the real winner, you do the maths.

Matt

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2011, 04:43:19 pm »
Matt,
You and the other doubters should arrange  a'ride along' with someone like Glyn Waterworth, or Steve Knight. If you saw the jobs they get through and the money they make, your scepticism would disappear in an instant. It's the nearest thing you can get to legally printing money! ;)

Matt Lindus

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2011, 04:52:24 pm »
Simon,
is that not fact what I have posted above?
That sort of thing happens all the time in business, carpet cleaning especially.

Matt

Warren Aldridge

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2011, 05:01:59 pm »
A truckmount is not comparable to a huge operation.
A sole trader with a truckmount still has plenty time for holidays and spare time

Truckmounts make you more money than portables. Provided you have the customer base.
Having said that though. If you can run an effective van mounted operation with hose reels and tanks and a triple vac, you would save yourself about £300 per month on fuel compared to a TM setup, not to mention the servicing costs.

Matt Lindus

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2011, 05:02:56 pm »
Executive recruitment is the nearest thing I have seen to printing money. I sat alongside a freind in 2003 who made two 15 minute phone calls that resulted in him receiving a 27K finders commission.
So what does that work out at, £108000 per hour!

Matt

Billy Russell

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2011, 05:11:21 pm »
It was Steve Knight that i went out with before i bought my truckmount!!! Jesus that boy can move and theres no compromise on quality!!!!! He gave me a lesson and a half on cleaning carpets!!! He's nearly as good as me!!!!!!   ;) ;D

derek west

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2011, 05:26:37 pm »
A small sole trader hand makes shoes for £1000 per pair from his shed. He feels sad that he only has 1 upmarket major customer and sells only 100 pairs per year. Most suppliers turn him down because of his stupidly high pricing, this upsets him greatly. He’s never really busy but has more than enough money due to very little overheads. He spends most of his time with the family at home and abroad.

His competitor has state of the art equipment that cost him £250000, he also employs staff, an engineer and rents his building. Because of this investment he can produce shoes on a large scale for £5 per pair. He produces 20000 Pairs of shoes in one year alone!!!! and supplys 25 major customers and wins almost every contract!!!! He's so pleased with himself, and laughs when he see's his competitors pathetic small set up in a shed.
Because of this volume of work he rarely see's his family, but he’s not bothered, he’s busy and earning!

Who’s the real winner, you do the maths.

Matt

??? ??? ???

never mind, i can't be bothered. ;D ;D ;D

richy27

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2011, 07:39:41 pm »
It was Steve Knight that i went out with before i bought my truckmount!!! Jesus that boy can move and theres no compromise on quality!!!!! He gave me a lesson and a half on cleaning carpets!!! He's nearly as good as me!!!!!!   ;) ;D

now billy all you need is a lesson in golf from myself

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2011, 08:23:58 pm »
Matt,
All you've pointed out is a way of looking at things, nothing else. Like I said, if you've got doubts about the raw productivity and earning power of a TM, have a day out with Glyn or Steve, then if nothing else you'll be speaking from experience.

My daughter is in executive recruitment in Melbourne and yes, they make big bucks when they do a deal, but what you don't see is all the networking and sheer graft that goes into finding the right person to fill a particular role.

Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2011, 09:03:34 am »
You could have a similar story where the small shoe manufacturer sees a competitor with state-of-the-art equipment who can produce twice as many shoes as he can at the same price and makes twice as much money!
Simon

jasonl

« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2011, 09:17:07 am »
Lets be honest , TM  set ups make more money if busy .  Why has everyone not got one?

1) Lack of capital / access to finance

2) If they can afford a cheap used unit they do not have the mechanical knowledge to fix them/ running it becomes uneconomic- I have seen a few £1000+ repair bills from dealers .

3) Not enough work to justify the expense - they can get through what they have with a porty.

None of these reasons , which I have had personal experience of at some time or other  have anything to do with the results the TM can produce , it is very clear that a combustion engine will produce far and away more heat, vac , and pressure  than an electric cable ever will ,  that is not the reason more people do not own them.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Matt Lindus

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2011, 10:20:57 am »
Besides, I own all of you lot. You poor retches. Bin seeking bitches.

mark_roberts

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2011, 11:17:18 am »
Theres a few ways to clean a carpet...........

on your hands and knees with a sponge or
with a rug doctor or
with a professional 3 vac portable or
with a petrol engine TM
etc
etc

You choose the method you can afford for the forcasted  work you have to do.  Someone starting a professional carpet cleaning business will usually start around the rug doctor stage ie. with a one or two vac machine.  When funds and work allow they get a 3 vac machine and so on.

You can clean a carpet equally well with a sponge as with a TM it just takes a lot longer.

Went business grows a TM will save time esp on multiple room jobs or commercial.
Went business grows again a two man team with a TM can do some serious work and make more money etc.

However the problem is keeping the work coming in as the TM WILL cost you more money to run, around £2500 a year on fuel from experiance, but this is offset against the time saved and the extra work completed.

Its a business model decision if you buy a TM.

Do not be fooled into buying toys for the boys or thinking a TM will get you work as it wont.

Personally I think, and have seen in the states, a good electric system with heat and 100ft of hose max, a few fans, would be a good system for domestic work.

Mark

peter maybury

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2011, 01:10:59 pm »
It is wise word wasted trying to explain some things to some people, as Simon said most truckmounters are protable operaters that have taken pride in what they do and have wanted to progress their business  and use the best equipment. We all have portables which we use occasionally. Many have moved on from scorpians these machine are  absolute pants in comparison to our main machines this is reminded to us on the rare occasions when  we have to take our portables out. We have the machines side by side to compare. For the newbies you have to decide whos advise to take. I myself am happy that not everyone is truckmounted as it would increase the competition for me. As for my business I just could not do the areas that I do with portable anyway and my machine makes the productivity of domestic work so much more profitable. You portable guys can stay where you are as I can do what you do better and faster and I am happy with that.

Peter

wwww.carpetcleanercardiff.com

Glynn

« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2011, 01:23:15 pm »
Very , very well said Peter.
Regards
Glynn

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2011, 01:57:24 pm »
Years ago I had 2 vans with Bane clean machines in (electric nearly TM) when my tech left I went petrol TM and productivity doubled so I covered the work of 2 and the TM was far cheaper to run than my old tech.

Depends on if you have the money to buy one and also if you have the customers.

Shaun

peter maybury

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2011, 11:05:38 pm »
Bane cleans are very expensive machines and do not really compare to the petrol or diesel models.

Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2011, 11:54:38 pm »
It is wise word wasted trying to explain some things to some people, as Simon said most truckmounters are protable operaters that have taken pride in what they do and have wanted to progress their business  and use the best equipment. We all have portables which we use occasionally. Many have moved on from scorpians these machine are  absolute pants in comparison to our main machines this is reminded to us on the rare occasions when  we have to take our portables out. We have the machines side by side to compare. For the newbies you have to decide whos advise to take. I myself am happy that not everyone is truckmounted as it would increase the competition for me. As for my business I just could not do the areas that I do with portable anyway and my machine makes the productivity of domestic work so much more profitable. You portable guys can stay where you are as I can do what you do better and faster and I am happy with that.

Peter

wwww.carpetcleanercardiff.com

It has been confirmed "by a few members" recently Peter, a truckmount doesnt always make a business profitable  ;D no profit... and you dont pay any tax.

Can you explain these wise words and where the portable guys like myself are going wrong in making a profit "even with a good accountant" and paying tax  ???

AshWhite

« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2011, 12:02:24 am »
I don't think the merits for tm vs portable have any relevance to whether or not some people are or aren't paying enough tax, and is being pedantic for the sake of it.

Ash

« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2011, 12:05:30 am »
I don't think the merits for tm vs portable have any relevance to whether or not some people are or aren't paying enough tax, and is being pedantic for the sake of it.

Ash

Ash, sorry but profit is important to me  :)

AshWhite

« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:14 am »
Is somebody elses profit important to you?

« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2011, 12:11:38 am »
Is somebody elses profit important to you?

Yes it is  ;D  if they choose to advertise it on this forum 

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2011, 12:50:39 pm »
There's profit and MORE profit, that's why people have a TM, coz they're greedy ;)

richy27

« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2011, 01:20:02 pm »
of course profit is important or what is the point .   

i think many cc s get to a certain stage in their business and feel they need to up grade their equipment most get put off by the new price of a tm . but if people are patient you can find very decent sec hand units at the same price as a top end porty .   

yes the running costs are higher but for small tms its peanuts really.

PaulKing

« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »
like all things its "horses for courses"

personally I wouldn't want to go back to portables, but have to from time to time, just so happens thats about twice a year and thats far to often for me!

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

peter maybury

« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2011, 03:55:44 pm »
The equipment that you use will ultimately dictate the market you are in. Do not expect to get large commercial jobs unless you can advertise the fact that you are able to do them. In that case you will not get enquiry's from large customers. Having a truckmount will not automatically make a business profitable but it will give customers a different perspective.
Many customers have reservations on the phone but when they see us turning up, our equipment and our van it straight away give the impression that we know exactly what we are doing. I have read threads on here about people repairing lids on their machines with araldite rather than spend £60 on a new lid and I really wonder how their customers perceive them.
I started on a very low budget being able to fit all my equipment into a mini van.  I was very niave and f I had then known what crap equipment i had would probably of failed because I can only sell enthusiastically if I believe that to be right.
The investment that I have made in equipment is the best investment that I have made. I am still doing it now investing in flood equipment and will be doing it for a long time.
You have to make as much investment as you can afford in your presentation  this means your dress your vehicle, literature and above all your equipment.

Peter

www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

wmidsgw

« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:20 pm »
''Do not expect to get large commercial jobs unless you can advertise the fact that you are able to do them. In that case you will not get enquiry's from large customers. ''

Peter, you do not need a TM to clean large areas of commercial carpet

I ran several TMs including dual operater m/cs for 25 years but can honestly say that in the later years we cleaned more carpet per hour by using Rotaries and pads than we ever did with our TMs. Most of our work was in high rise office blocks cleaning thousand of sq. yds of carpet in Birmingham. You know what, after using TMs to do the work, I was concerned about what our clients would say when changing to rotaries........never said a word.......the carpets always looked as good, possibly a little better, plus were dry by the time we left.

Yes I know Restaurants & Pubs require the power of a TM with their 'blacktop and grease' but the millions of yardage of commercial, office carpet can be more than adequatly cleaned with a LM system and good operator techniques.

Gordon

« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2011, 10:22:22 pm »
Having a truckmount will not automatically make a business profitable but it will give customers a different perspective.

Well that's ok then, no profit but the customer thinks you're the dogs nuts.
Perhaps I'm totally missing the point of being in business because I thought it was to maximise potential profit and nothing will do that better than a rotary, some pads and a sprayer (basically).