Doug Holloway

Re: Website Design
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »
Hi Guys

Intersting thread.

In my view Google have to keep organic becasue this is it's credibility, the search engine with the most relevant results.

If it's just paid adverts then it is no longer a search engine just an advertising medium.

In terms of pretty sites mine are not, mainly becasue I don't have time but I do have lots of very good rankings including many genetics like sofa cleaing for example.

In an ideal world you would have a good looking site with top rankings but I find a lot of 'designed' sites have far too much info and are hard to navigate.

Cheers

Doug

wynne jones

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2010, 06:33:49 pm »
It certainly is a balancing act for them and like any company when they get a certain size and very successful they are going to be hit upon, bit like Microsoft.

They are subtle but it is true they are putting the squeeze on. Notice the sponsored link background get a little paler every year and now with the maps how many of the first page entries are above the fold?

I actually don't begrudge them their fortune. I look at the email I use, the productivity tools, finding good resturants through Places reviews, infact even finding the resteruant with gmaps and I've even got a phone thats cheaper and better than an iphone all because of Google. ;D

The danger is if they turn real nasty and we are so dependent on them, then we are in trouble.

Luckily when it comes to Adwords and the Google squeeze, Facebook comes along and poos all over them so we are OK until Facebook goes the same way as the rest.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

garry22

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2010, 06:43:08 pm »
In my view Google have to keep organic becasue this is it's credibility, the search engine with the most relevant results.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but in my locality, both mine and a couple of Doug's sites are still ranked above the local / places ones.

Shaun,

It's only a matter of time before my back gives up for good and I have to pack up cleaning. I've been working on a new career for a while so for me, it's definitely not a hobby. A lot is 100% online business. I'm working on my own stuff because the last thing I want to do is SEO / online marketing for others. The reason is simple. SEO clients are (on the whole) are an absolute nightmare because they think they are experts. The fact that nothing is guaranteed makes it more of a pain.

The point of the ramble is that you can't afford to spend too much time on one thing as it's forever changing.

I can't agree more as far as carpet cleaning goes. I personally think many carpet cleaners get too worried / obsessed with Web stuff and neglect the basic things like referrals ("the best way of gaining free buisness is through your Gob!").

To go completely down the online route could be a dangerous thing for CCrs

wynne jones

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2010, 08:00:59 pm »
Garry I know how hard it is to do what you are doing, respect mate.

waynebarry

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2010, 08:38:25 pm »
What can I say, thank you guys for the excellent feedback!!
The reason I put this post up is because since I had the site put together we have gone from 1 to 5 employees and I feel the site is now looking old and tired and I feel I need something more modern and eye catching like Steves or gcs sites to help take the company forward.
I want to get it properly optimized (excuse the spelling) so that all my services are somewhere on the first page of google instead of some of them especially CARPET CLEANING!!
I also if it needs it want to do a google adword campaign and one of Wynne suggestions put a box on the front page so that it promps people to leave there e-mail address so I can start a marketing campaign that way too!!
Wynne can you e-mail me your contact details as you seem to know what your talking about and I believe you can help me.
Also gcs can I contact you sometime too?
Once again thanks for your feedback you have given me so many ideas and poiters on how change my site.

wynne jones

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2010, 09:00:14 pm »
Sure thing Wayne.

waynebarry

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 09:48:26 pm »
sorry wynne I think you need this! sales@apluscleaningservices.co.uk

Adam P

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2010, 10:14:26 pm »
no problem wayne. always happy to offer some help to members on this site.

email is    adam@ cleansurrey.co.uk

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 12:32:06 am »
Seek an seo company before you build your site, ask him how should it be designed to get the best out of it.
It is no use having a website with all the bells and whistles, only to find that no one can see it. A bit like having a box of leaflets under the stairs, they will never get seen if they do not go out. Same with your website, this is only my opinion, you need to have a separate page for each keyword you are targeting, then seo those pages according to the most important part of your business

garry22

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 06:08:02 pm »
Create an optin box which offers a coupon code for a tenner. Just get email address nothing else. You now have the ability to follow up on someone who may have just surfed off to the next site, you know where they have come from when they present the coupon and if they don't come to you, you still build a relationship with automated emails until they do (seven points of contact theory).

Wynne (or anyone),

Which autoresponder services do you use / recommend?

Garry

jsm

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2010, 09:50:06 am »
If you know what you were doing, why is your logo someone getting a green custard pie in the face?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
John Malone
JSM. Window & General Cleaning
(  North Wales  )
Giving homes a shine sicne 1989

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout