JD Calhoon

Re: dreamweaver
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2010, 03:23:29 pm »
OK boys, hope you don't think I'm talkin out of turn, but if you are all so expert at this interweb why are you cleaning carpets for a living? And if you're not what are you doing on this carpet cleaning forum?

I thought you brits where a reserved mature bunch of guys, but me and Lizzie reckon you sound like kindergarten kids!

Take it easy.

J
They intoxicate themselves with work so they won't see how they really are.  Aldous Huxley

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2010, 03:33:59 pm »
God dam it Calhoon - your making a lot of rooting tooting sense there boy ;D

Mark

Adam P

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2010, 03:45:58 pm »
i have rest of my life to do all sorts of careers but cleaning came to me in such a way that it made sense to do it part time with my partner, but i couldn't settle for a half arsed attempt at a business so i work a lot towards this business and give it what i can putting other areas to the side temporarily. once it's settled down a bit more i'll continue with my interweb career or one of the others i'm working towards atm. i do still do a lot of online work though and always have a ideas on the go. the plan though with my interweb career is to not forever make websites as this is actually very dull and repatitive, but instead run a business and have one or more good ideas that make a lot of money from doing very little.

but anyway that doesn't matter as running a successful business is far more skilled then making a website. i'm not cleaning carpets for a living, i'm running a business. it doesn't matter what business it is as they all have similar issues far more complex then simply making a website.

how's that for rooting tooting sense

JD Calhoon

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2010, 04:36:43 pm »
erm I think you guys have been watching too many Silvester cartoons. ::)
They intoxicate themselves with work so they won't see how they really are.  Aldous Huxley

clinton

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2010, 04:46:00 pm »
Sure are there jd A bunch of redknecks if i ever saw yaay ;D

JD Calhoon

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2010, 05:47:31 pm »
Whatever missy. ::)

Pristine Clean

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2010, 07:14:17 pm »
OK boys, hope you don't think I'm talkin out of turn, but if you are all so expert at this interweb why are you cleaning carpets for a living? And if you're not what are you doing on this carpet cleaning forum?

I thought you brits where a reserved mature bunch of guys, but me and Lizzie reckon you sound like kindergarten kids!

Take it easy.

J

JD, Did you not realise that we are masters at everything. Even if we have been only doing it for less than 5 minutes. And there's always someone who knows more than someone else.. especially on this forum.

However, Good that you are learning a new skill Derek. You can never have enough education.

Dreamweaver is the standard in the industry but on its own there is not much relevance. You need to know about CSS Style sheets, Fireworks would also be a good one to learn for graphics as well as photoshop. Then there are server settings from windows to linux. Depending on what you are running on thw site to apache... Yes I wont go on I could quite easily.

Don't forget some basic HTML language. This will only give you the very basics for web design. if you wanted to branch out on it you would need to know about SQL Structured Query Language and database design. I wont go into too much detail as I would lose you all. Then there is obJect Orientated Programming known as OOP... LIST IS ENDLESS. 

It is a field I have experience in and have worked for many blue chip companies and still do the odd freelance for them.

You would need more than a 10 week course and until you have at least 2- 5 years solid day in day out you will not even know what to do correctly. There is so much to learn and it cannot be obtained on short courses. And you certainly wont become an expert after completing a course even if after 12 months. 

That does not mean to say you wont be able to do a website anyone can just not necessarily  in dreamweaver.

Best of luck

Dave

"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

derek west

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2010, 07:28:36 pm »
ive changed my mind, i'm gonna enrol on a rocket scientist course, seems a bit less complicated ;D

on a more serious note, my son has started a website for me using notebook. extremely basic html but i'm well proud of him. he likes it and will go far. i just wanted to give him a push and maybe learn a few things on the way.

not once did i think i was gonna become an expert.

Pristine Clean

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2010, 07:43:08 pm »
Derek, If its for your son. A 10 week course is a good taster. Plus if he studies well and does a recognised qualification in website design he wont require to know it all.

He would need to know the just certain parts of the programme industry.

You have the front end application - that's what you see on the site

Then you have the back end, that's the connectivity. All he has to do is choose where to start and what type of website applications he wants to design.

The motor trade industry websites are huge at the moment - in the brand names like Mercedese-Benz and Jaguar.

Generally when you work for a company you are put into groups (Pods). You are then given a specification to perform on a certain module of the website / programme.

So learning in notepad to html is great it is where we all started. Many moons ago.

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

JD Calhoon

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2010, 08:42:05 pm »
Some say the US is a little bit ahead of the wave on most things. If that's the case here, I wouldn't train your lad in I.T. All those jobs are now in the Filiapinnes or Bagalore at $200 a month  :-\ If you offer a physical service in your own local area no forigner can take that away from you.

garry22

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2010, 05:05:11 pm »
All those jobs are now in the Filiapinnes or Bagalore at $200 a month

I can fully understand Derek's reasons above. JD's comments however, are very relevant.

The going rate for a Degree level programmer in the Phillipines is 5-8 US dollars per hour (maybe $10 if they can negotiate it). This is for skilled people who have English as a first language.

If you are serious about internet marketing, this may be the way to go because it frees you up to do the important stuff like traffic generation.

There are US companies that charge $75 to fully code a page (which you can duplicate yourself) from a Photoshop file or other graphic design.

It could well be cheaper / quicker to outsource it whilst you carry on carpet cleaning.

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2010, 12:51:25 am »
It generates lots of usless code.