Total Members Voted: 4

Jamie Lindsay

Re: Starting Up Need Advice Please
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2010, 08:13:48 pm »
looking to get started early next month

Matt Lindus

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2010, 09:39:05 pm »

I am 22 with a engineering background but have saw a major gap in my local area in this market

Please dont listen to the guys on this forum. I beg you not to throw away an Engineering future away. This game is ok for a few extra quid to top your wage up part time but please dont throw away a good future for this mostly crap industry.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2010, 09:40:17 pm »
patience, grit, determination and a lot of hard work. 16 hour days, if your not cleaning you should be out leafletting or designing new ads or sorting out your web site, or training in the garage with new techniques for stain removal.

to succeed you need to live it, breathe it, eat it.

i know
drama queen, without a glide of course.

we just had this very same conversation today.... on our way to silverstone for a day away from business lol, live it, sleep it, breathe it. possibly the only thing you dont do is..... sh*g it.
the business sure as hell gets more attention than our relationship!
would we change it??..... nahhhhh not a chance :)

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:02 pm »
dont worry matt i have done my research on this and know how hard an industry it is... its no walk in the park.... some people can work for people happily take a guaranteed wage at the end off the month but after being in engineering over the years all I have done is think about "what if" I started on my own you only live once my friend and I have no ties to not give it a good go its a win win.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2010, 10:18:37 pm »

I am 22 with a engineering background but have saw a major gap in my local area in this market

Please dont listen to the guys on this forum. I beg you not to throw away an Engineering future away. This game is ok for a few extra quid to top your wage up part time but please dont throw away a good future for this mostly crap industry.

I came from an engineering background,I've programed machines to produce for M.O.D,aerospace and olympic runners [ para-olympics ] along with various domestic controls and gave it up due to work being sent abroad, so to say throw away a good future, unless your going abroad to work thats b******s [[ technical term]].
I am also a qualified communications technician installing the link from Cardiff,Swansea to bristol for BT so I have a few strings to my bow.
There are one or two negative people on this site and I for one cant understand why they bother venturing here other than there attitudes preceed them and they have nothing else to do.
After 18mths of hard slog we have just had the best week/month and long may it continue, as this has come around through hard work from my partner [trena] who has pretty much self taught herself how to make the most of our web site.
 I may be able to make a limb for a para-olympian but i wouldnt have a clue where web sites are concerned.
And of course the people We call upon when we [Trena and myself] turn quotes into work that is bigger than us both to cope with alone.
Having an engineering background is a great plus in this industry as breakdowns are looked at from a technical perspective and dealt with accordingly.
Never let the plonkers knock your chosen path and belittle it.
A strong belief in yourself and a good woman helps :) and the gift of the gab also comes in handy
Regards Marc

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2010, 05:18:07 pm »
totally agree with what your saying marc engineering isnt what it used to be mate

jasonl

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2010, 06:09:59 pm »
totally agree with what your saying marc engineering isnt what it used to be mate

I wish I had studied engineering , this is my younger brother , Idid better than him at school too!

http://halmapr.com/news/aquionics/2010/09/10/aquionics-announces-new-president-oliver-lawal/
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2010, 06:21:30 pm »
not saying a bad word about engineering think its a great industry to be in... just not for me...  good luck to your brother tho looks like he has done well for himself

Matt Lindus

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:54 pm »
Jamie,

What qualifications do you have in Engineering?

Matt

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2010, 09:02:10 pm »
not got any qualifications just worked as a cad technician (draughtsman) for the last 4 years or so.... worked in the civil ans structural side of things... can I ask why you ask ?

wynne jones

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2010, 10:44:38 pm »
I would hazard a gues there are more carpet cleaning millionaires than Engineering millionaires, but the average net worth of an engineer will be far more than the average for carpet cleaners. But it's not all about money is it?
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:22 pm »
Depends on what value you put on yourself and what you think of being called a carpet cleaner or engineer!

Not sure if there are more carpet cleaning millionaires than engineering ones as engineering companies get some really big deals.

Shaun

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2010, 11:17:31 pm »
sitting at a desk all day isnt the best thing for your head aswell haha