5 (71.4%)
?
28.6%
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 4

james roffey

Re: Starting Up Need Advice Please
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »
The best day i have had i earnt £490 the best week £1300 but some days i earn nothing, but still fill my time building my business.
I would rather do two jobs at £200 than four at £100 i still think you will lose a lot of those hard found customers when you raise your prices.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2010, 05:36:07 pm »
what are the best products to use ? ie pre spray ect ?

how much do use guys earn on average per job ?

Matt Seymour

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2010, 06:16:29 pm »
The best day i have had i earnt £490 the best week £1300 but some days i earn nothing, but still fill my time building my business.
I would rather do two jobs at £200 than four at £100 i still think you will lose a lot of those hard found customers when you raise your prices.

It all depends on what you want to earn. As I say, I am just looking to get by at the moment. If I can turnover £500 or £600 a week by the end of my first year I will be happy with that.

It's a modest income which allows me to pass on savings to the customer.

wynne jones

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2010, 06:42:18 pm »
Matt was that with a facebook page or just your profile. I was thinking of doing a page as I don't have a web site.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Matt Seymour

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2010, 06:55:30 pm »
Matt was that with a facebook page or just your profile. I was thinking of doing a page as I don't have a web site.

I have both Wynne.

I have my normal Facebook page and one for the business. There are loads of groups on Facebook usually called "Buy and Sell in...."

I just post my details up on there every few days and it brings in a few jobs. Have to say they are usually fairly low end jobs, but every little helps.

Create a page for the business and get all your friends to "like" or "share" it and the enquiries should start coming in.

I would advise you to get a website though.

wynne jones

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2010, 08:01:22 pm »
Nice one. Ta Matt

ryan mca

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2010, 10:13:39 pm »
  Jaime
  I started 6 months ago got a prochem steampro and a flexi 5 from ebay 3 days training
at cleansmart chems from cleansmart, restormate, solutions and prochem (greenock)
could not find any training cources in scotland so travel and hotel knocks the price up
if your thinking of joining ncca then go on there cource as you need to do it to join
I only clean part time and have a full time job if you still stay with your parents give
it a go full time but if you have commitments then find a part time job makes life easier
and allows reinvestment to build. If you lets know where in scotland you are you might
get one of the guys to take you out for a day but be prepared to travel.

Ryan

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2010, 10:51:43 pm »
thanks for the reply ryan live in glasgow west end but can travel... wer is your company based ?

fitz2kleen

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2010, 04:21:35 pm »
just a question?

do you all leaflet around your jobs?
ie: if you are working at mrs smiths at number 25 do you leaflet 5 up 5 down on both sides of the street?

everyone knows that when you pull in your van curtains twitch. and a leaflet in there door kick starts them into looking at there own carpets.
last week I has 3 quote requests ones booked for next week,ones booking when they finish decorating the other is one of them [[ will they wont they ]] but 2 outta three me old mate meatloaf said aint bad :)
Regards Marc

Matt Seymour

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2010, 04:28:01 pm »
I stopped leafleting during August because of the school holidays, but I'm just about to start again.

On the whole I have found that leaflets delivered during the evening work best, so I don't often deliver them during the day, but popping a few through letterboxes on the same street as a job I have just finished is something I do occasionally.

derek west

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 04:47:48 pm »
carpet cleaning is a cut throat business, very hard to make a profit in the first couple of years. i would consider something different like driveway/patio cleaning, theres some good bits of kit in the for sale section and on ebay, less competition and good profits with no chems to buy, think about it.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2010, 07:09:06 pm »
no changing my mind on the carpet cleaning I've got my mind set on it and done alot of local research... what do yous think after tax is the min a cleaner should be walking away with I know its how hard you work at it but from past experience?

jasonl

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2010, 07:17:34 pm »
For me , it is not all about ££££ in your hand , as there are other benefits that are more valuable than cash. Really you need to get out of the employee    mindset

Obviously you need a certain cashsum each month for your personal needs , however , you should be able to run a car, phone, certain travel at home and abroad, meals out ,proportion of household utilities  and several other things which can make your income in real  terms very attractive.

It realy is up to you what you achieve.

I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2010, 07:21:53 pm »
thanks for that.... I'm not just in it for the money as well really like the idea of having my own way of working and the presure of getting my own work sick of the 9-5 getting told what to do cant be having that all my days haha... so you would say it carpet cleaning is a good game then ?

Matt Seymour

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2010, 07:36:59 pm »
Being your own boss is great, but it does come with the pressure of knowing that you have no one else to blame should you fail.

Reaping the rewards of success is one thing, but there is the other side of the coin.

I am enjoying being my own boss, deciding when I work and making my own decisions without being overruled or inteference from those above.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2010, 07:40:44 pm »
think it takes a rare individual to suceed in this field

derek west

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2010, 07:46:56 pm »
patience, grit, determination and a lot of hard work. 16 hour days, if your not cleaning you should be out leafletting or designing new ads or sorting out your web site, or training in the garage with new techniques for stain removal.

to succeed you need to live it, breathe it, eat it.

i know
drama queen, without a glide of course.

jasonl

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2010, 07:50:53 pm »
thanks for that.... I'm not just in it for the money as well really like the idea of having my own way of working and the presure of getting my own work sick of the 9-5 getting told what to do cant be having that all my days haha... so you would say it carpet cleaning is a good game then ?

It is not really a game , you cannot play at it , it is like any business , hard work and you will succeed , it is the low barrier to entry and the lack of regulation which I think attracts people. Most do not realise that finding customers who wish to pay the price for a quality clean is the hardest part , and I think only 10% are still around after a year , maybe less.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »
cant agree with you more think if your heart isnt in it you will have to chance succeeding

what machine would you recommend to start with something like the ninja with 400psi ?

wynne jones

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2010, 07:53:24 pm »
If you are going to get going do it right now. The lead up to Christmas is the busiest time of the year for most people and you need a month or two to get up to speed.

Carpet cleaning is very competitive because of easy entry to the industry, this means you have to beat off probably 10 other cleaners in your area for jobs. If someone makes a go of carpet cleaning they are not relying on talent they are in fact a cut above the average business man and could probably succeed in most other businesses.

d. you naughty man. ;D