?
28.6%
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Jamie Lindsay

Starting Up Need Advice Please
« on: September 17, 2010, 04:55:08 pm »
Hi there,

New to this game so need a bit of advise on starting a carpet cleaning business... any advice would be good... I am currently looking at buying a machine and need advice at what machine to buy any advise on this????

Also what is the best way to market my buisness??

I have around 4000 to start it up and would be thankful of any replys you's may have

Thanks

wynne jones

Re: Starting Up Need Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:00:06 pm »
If you want to make £20k from carpet cleaning, start off with £40k

It's a good game to be in once you're established but expect to loose a lot more than 4k in your first year.

Well you did say any advice, even if it's not what you want to hear. :)
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:20:02 pm »
dont really get the point your putting across there other than negativity?

you could say that about any business that they only make money once "established" in the market.. but to run first you have learn how to walk and ignore negative advice.... sorry just my opinion.

If anyone has advice that makes my business take a step in the right direction i.e. machines to buy and marketing etc I would be grateful

Thanks

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:39:18 pm »
As this is an unregulated industry you can do what you want with what want, when you want.
The normal response when newbies ask this question is try looking through all the previous pages on here and take from it what you like, and you'll probably learn more that way.
first things first, google 'carpet cleaning courses' and get yourself on one of those. Alternatively you could find a local friendly carpet cleaner to yourself who might be willing to show you the ropes, although personally I don't see why I would want to help another newbie in my area.
So: Training, website, leaflets, insurances, vehicle, products, machine. £4k won't go very far with that shopping list if you want quality.

A decent machine no matter who advises their own favourite is going to be £3k

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:48:59 pm »
Sound advice from Neil, I would also look at your competition and what you can do to make yourself different. 90% of the time this job is easy and can be rewarding, you will be challenged by the last 10% and that's where training and descent tools will make the difference.

Joe H

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:49:40 pm »
I commend you Jamie for the fact you have filled in your profile when joining clean it up.
Many dont and because of that others are reluctant to fully respond.

What do you do now for a living?
Why do you want to get into carpet cleaning?
Have you had any experiance of c/cleaning?

One of the best ways of getting the feel for anything is to go out with an experianced person for a few jobs.
Do you know any cleaners?
Maybe those close to you may be reluctant to do this because you may be a competitor in the future, but someone maybe 20/30 miles away may be approachable.

You can buy a half decent machine 2nd hand for around 1k.
2 vacs and 135psi pump is probably the minimum you need.
Training can be got from a number of places, most are linked in with a machine or cleaning fluid supplier so may be strongly biased. Or try www.ncca.co.uk in Leicester.

Advertising can eat you £4k very quickly.
Websites can be done cheap but you need them high on the search engine rankings and that can cost money.
Leaflets can be expensive and you need regularity to get a decent response.
Local magazines can be rewarding and not too expensive - again regularity.
Knock on doors and sell yourself is a good way  - but you need confidence and the householde needs to see this so they can be confident.
All trial and error.

You need insurance - public liability with treatment risk preferred.

Times are hard at the moment, starting up will not be a breeze. You need to think it out, plan well and ride a rough ride till you get established which will take years.

ryan mca

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:53:35 pm »
  First you need a business plan if 4k is for every thing then ebay is the place to look
but the main thing is not to expect to make money in your first year you can boost
your budget by using 0% credit cards. Where in scotland are you based.

Simon Moat

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:54:50 pm »
Hi Jamie

Personally I can't speak highly enough of Extracta.

They're based in Gateshead and offer a full package of training course's, machines, chemicals etc, also great people to deal with.

You'd do a lot worse than check them out.

Good luck.

Simon.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 09:06:44 pm »
Maybe the first comment was a little harsh.............................but true! This is a very, very, very hard business to get established in at the best of times! And this is not the best of times!

Justin
MAX carpet & upholstery care
Established since 1988

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 09:12:29 pm »
thanks for the response guys really appreciated

I have done my business plan and am currently about to get around 4k funding Ihave done alot of research in the market and feel it has great prospects for the right man.

I am looking to spend around 2k on a machine (extractor) have looked at a few prochem etc but feel goin for the second route of buying my equipment will suit me best... its around 1600 for a 150psi prochem machine but I feel the business isnt going to take off unless I have a better machine

I am 22 with a engineering background but have saw a major gap in my local area in this market

What is your knowledge on where a business makes or breaks ???

where can I find a good second hand machine???

what is the diff between truck mount and portable machines is there alot of diff???

robert meldrum

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 09:24:21 pm »
It's often difficult to tell if a new poster is genuine, so you will get a mixed response to your questions. I'll ask you a few to get a better feel of your motivation.

Are you currently working and able to start part time.
Have you ever tried to clean carpets / upholstery.
Do you know where to buy machines / chemical locally.
Do you have local FREE weekly newspapers in your area.
Have you any idea about average prices being charged in your area.
Why would anyone choose you to clean their carpets.
Could go on and on,
These are all relevent questions and you are likely to get more detailed answers depending on how you answer.

I'm based in the Renfrewshire area .

fitz2kleen

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 09:25:42 pm »
1st of all good luck........................
After 2 years of hard work - getting a logo thats is eye catching,getting a web site that passes the 10 second test [gets viewers past your home page],got  on every free index possible [you'll still miss some],sorted pay per click and adwords with google, sorted  transport, insurence,liability insurence,and of course kit,advertisments[flyers and what ever gets you noticed].
Only now are we getting booked by old clients,recomendations and welcome interest with local council [had 1st booking from them today] along with a giant order from a solicitor firm, our bookings are now into the next month,
So if your happy to work for two years with no wage from your business,nervous days/weeks of waiting for clients with accounts to pay there bill,and digging into your already depleated bank account to pay bills and buy stock till your business account can cope,having your personal relationships teatering on breaking point when times are hard then starting up any business is great,otherwise dont give up the day job.
by the way ....do you wanna buy a back pack hoover?????

best of british Marc

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »
Dont have a day job I am 22 and consider myself to have a good head on my shoulders... so feel this is the best time to give it a go... my first thought was that it would take around 2 years to get myself on the map and feeling the benefits... Fitz what sort of budget did you start with ? was your buisness in major loss the first 2 years ?

fitz2kleen

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:07:42 pm »
Dont have a day job I am 22 and consider myself to have a good head on my shoulders... so feel this is the best time to give it a go... my first thought was that it would take around 2 years to get myself on the map and feeling the benefits... Fitz what sort of budget did you start with ? was your buisness in major loss the first 2 years ?

Started off with around 6 grand,in two years weve spent £700 in advertising the rest has been free index's and Google ohhh and our own web site and of course word of mouth.
1st 6mths we broke even on the books but the business owed us 6 grand start up funds and we were paying the bills out of our own funds and no wages.
1st full year we made a a small profit £1,000 and the business took over its own bills, this tax year to now we are in profit and bookings are on the up so much we are booked a mth in advance,ohhhh and I take a modest wage per mth.
Regards Marc

pps im still selling a back pack hoover [2weeks old and used 3 times]

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 10:39:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply... no don't need hoovering equipment...

any other advice would be great ?

Price ranging?

Repeat business ?

Marketing?

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:37 pm »
Ps Wat machine did you start off with fitz2clean?

paul wallace

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 11:19:13 pm »
Sorry as I haven't read all posts but I'd say as most training but when your talking about machines, read all posts etc, look at them all at the locations sold and then buy a second hand one if possible at your choice.  if you make the wrong choice you can simply sell it and because you researched the prices you'll get your money back, plus if it goes wrong you replace the part.  Thats my opinion; giving my chance again.
Just trying to do a Good-Honest job and make money!

Matt Seymour

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 11:26:32 pm »
Hello Jamie,

I am in a somewhat similar position to you. I started about 2 months ago with a budget of just £3000 and I am only a few hundred short of making it back already.

I had cleaned carpets before for another company, so I did have some experience. However, I intend to take a course of some kind in the near future and suggest you do the same. There are plenty of courses around and it helps if you can state that you are trained or qualified. The NCCA is undoubtedly the best, but it's also the most expensive. There are cheaper alternatives.

Machine: Ashbys Ninja 400 psi version cost me £1000 second hand complete with 50ft of hoses and wand etc, which was a bargain.

Van: bought an old banger off Ebay for under £500 that needed a lot of cosmetic work doing which I did myself. Some people go out and spend a small fortune on a van. In my opinion that is the single biggest waste of money. If it's clean and tidy and reliable what more do you need to start you off? You can upgrade when you are turning a decent profit.

Sign writing for van: designed myself and applied myself. Cost me £80.

Website: again, did myself and cost me precious little. Have a look at other carpet cleaner's websites for ideas. Once you get the hang of it building a website is quite easy and there are plenty of decent books around to help with search engine optimisation.

Leaflets: designed them myself, which is yet another way of saving money. Deliver them myself as well.

Competition: you need to know what you are up against, so do your homework.

Insurance: you'll need public liability as a minimum.

Marketing: get yourself on every single free directory going and create a Google map and keep updating it. It's the quickest way to get yourself a decent google ranking. After only two months I'm already in the top map position on page 1. Leaflets, sales letters, visit commercial premises and give them business cards etc etc. You could give adwords a try, but I found it a bit hit and miss.

When you do start you will find that you get a lot of calls from people trying to sell you advertising/marketing - particularly people claiming they can get you a page one sponsored link on Google. I wouldn't take them up on it, but make out that you are interested and the idiots will tell you what all the most commonly searched phrases are in your area and the numbers involved. Simply say "I'll get back to you" and then add all the info they've given you to your website!

Create a Facebook page and promote your services on there. I've had loads of jobs from Facebook. They've mainly been pretty cheap ones, but it gets work coming in and the referrals will soon follow.

Don't make the mistake of targetting only wealthy areas. The "less affluent" need their carpets cleaning too.

I think that's enough to be going on with. Good luck with it.

paul wallace

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 11:41:37 pm »
Matt, I think thats a great post.  The thing about most new starter advice is it comes from people who have been in the job a wee while and although the knowledge is fantastic, it's easy to look through established eyes and want all the best new.
Just trying to do a Good-Honest job and make money!

Matt Seymour

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 12:02:44 am »
I reckon £4000 is plenty to get Jamie going if he spends it wisely. It makes me laugh when I hear people almost bragging about the huge sums of money they spent to start up their business as if others are supposed to be impressed.

If someone tells me they spent £20,000 I say "more fool you!"

Do as much as you possibly can yourself and look for bargains every step of the way. That's what I reckon. The sooner you recover your start up costs, the sooner you turn a profit and can start putting some of that money back into your business.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 12:06:07 am »
Ps Wat machine did you start off with fitz2clean?

started off using a ninja
baught a couple of prochem powermax machines and upgraded one of them i now have 3 prochem machines one that is soley for sewage and one spare or in case i need have a large enough jobbie to warrant taking two on site.

creighton foyle

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 12:21:10 am »
jamie ,i am a new start up and i just checked back through my emails to see if  i had saved an attachment from matt at cleansmart with a choice of start up packages, anyway i still have it and you can get a budget start up package for under 4k including vat it would be for the airflex pro which i think most people would agrree is a fair bit of kit but you would also get a free training course for carpets and upholstery and the package includes everything you need to start including some chems which you will probably never use if you would like me to forward the email to you contact me at dryliner@hotmail.com and i will send it to you. my experience with cleansmart has been fantastic and i would recomend them but do your own research as there are a lot of good suppliers out there

MAX Carpets

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 06:56:00 am »
I would say more like 5 years to start to get comfy, and 10k to start!

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 07:02:48 am »
Firstly, sit down and work out what your domestic running costs are - home, food, bills etc; and what your business costs will be (estimated obviously as you are just starting) marketing, fuel, cleaning equipment and ongoing consumables.

This will give you your monthly running costs and profit required to break even.

Then you can set your prices accordingly.

Too many people just find out what someone local to them is charging and then match it or go lower.

You need to work out what YOU NEED to earn to run YOUR BUSINESS.

wynne jones

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 08:44:00 am »
I reckon £4000 is plenty to get Jamie going if he spends it wisely. It makes me laugh when I hear people almost bragging about the huge sums of money they spent to start up their business as if others are supposed to be impressed.

Do as much as you possibly can yourself and look for bargains every step of the way. That's what I reckon. The sooner you recover your start up costs, the sooner you turn a profit and can start putting some of that money back into your business.

Sounds like your the one whos being smug about it Mr Seymour. So when you started your business did you make enough money to pay all your bills from day 1, or did you scab off your wife or do it on the side at first?

To grow a business you are likely to be putting at least 10/20% back into marketing. Then there is insurances, etc.

'Go for it' by all means but in the beggeining and especially starting now, have a realistic view of what is entailed financially have to do. All the posters here won't pay your mortgage for you when you are in the poor house.

jasonl

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 09:19:52 am »
Almost everyone gets hung up on start up costs as if the equipment /van is everything.
It is the marketing that is everything, and even with wise spending 20k is what it takes to get you to a place where you have enough revenue for one man to keep a family properly , this may be spread over 3-5 years, or one year , the amount stays the same though.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 11:14:58 am »
Matt

Do you actually charge the prices on your Web Site

I am not being critical but it does say From

I think £45 is to low for a suite

However as you say you are starting and kept your cost base low .

Hopefully you will learn to raise your prices

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 01:01:54 pm »
Matt,

great advice there think I am on the same level of thinking as you just reassured my head... think you are right about the van aswell ppl spend allot of money on unneeded eye candy and can take up allot of funds...

how did you set up your own web page? really impressed with your work sir...

where did you buy your machine aswell ? ebay ?

also where did you buy your sign writing look gd on the web page

Have you got an leaflet in pdf format or sumthing that you could send me to give me an idea?

must say matt really have done well with the budget you had to work with but the price range you are charging could be a bit more? or are you upsailing once you enter the costumers house?

email me if you like matt jc-lindsay@hotmail.co.uk

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 01:20:07 pm »
thanks again for the response

I have done my business plan and have wored out my projected monthly and annual turnover

has anyone got a rough idea on how to price should i put prices on the net and flyers? do you make your money on up selling when you get into the costumers house?

has anyone got a rough idea of what there flyers look like ?

what would you say the average salary (rough figure) per annum of a self employed cleaner ?

Matt Seymour

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 01:33:47 pm »
Matt

Do you actually charge the prices on your Web Site

I am not being critical but it does say From

I think £45 is to low for a suite

However as you say you are starting and kept your cost base low .

Hopefully you will learn to raise your prices

Yep, I do charge the prices on my website. They are all based on average sized rooms that need a standard clean. They are also driven by some of the competition's prices. I clean at least one room for £10 on almost every job I do. The way I see it, if I get £100 a day I am happy - especially at this early stage. I am slowly increasing my prices though.

The trouble is that there is a lot of competition in my area including the £8.99 for two rooms bait and switch scammers and they are hitting everyone quite hard.

I'm basically trying different things. Originally I didn't display my prices on my site and then I changed that because a lot of people said that they like to know a ball park figure before they make contact.

The website as it is isn't the finished article, it's just something to be going on with. I am building another at the moment and the prices will increase slightly.

Matt Seymour

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 01:40:02 pm »

Sounds like your the one whos being smug about it Mr Seymour. So when you started your business did you make enough money to pay all your bills from day 1, or did you scab off your wife or do it on the side at first?

To grow a business you are likely to be putting at least 10/20% back into marketing. Then there is insurances, etc.

'Go for it' by all means but in the beggeining and especially starting now, have a realistic view of what is entailed financially have to do. All the posters here won't pay your mortgage for you when you are in the poor house.

I'm not being smug. I'm saying that you don't have to spend a small fortune to get yourself up and running if you do everything yourself and look high and low for bargains.

I made money from day one. I think I made something like £400 in my first week. It has been really up and down though.

I agree about marketing being the most important thing. It's a bit trial and error really and depends on what works in your particular area. I have quickly learnt that referrals make up a very large percentage of your work in this industry and you can't buy that.

james roffey

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 01:41:58 pm »
Well i do not see that telling people what you invested as bragging, i calculated what i would need to invest and have some set aside just in case.
I invested about £13,000 i spent £4000 on a van simply because i was able to get a three year old Citroen dispatch with only 26000 miles on the clock which i thought was a bargain i
wanted a clean looking vehicle to display the graphics i have on my van wich cost £700 and has paid for itself many times over plus the van will see me good for several years.
None of this was to show off its about how i wanted my business to be displayed if i turn up outside a customers home in a rusty shed, i think it implies i will be at the lower end of the carpet cleaning spectrum and charge accordingly.
I had a professional design and optimise my website, we all bang on about customers not hiring machines when they should have hired a professional, well i can think of no better example than having this done by a professional, again this has been a worthwhile investment as it brings me a lot of work probably 50% when you think how much you can spend on leafleting and other forms of marketing it is dirt cheap to have a site designed and optimised.
I have been established about 18 months now and am happy with the progress i have made with it really starting to pick up recently,  i have ploughed so much into marketing and new equipment to further build the business to ensure it continues to grow, of course you can start on very little but when you look in your van at all the stuff you have that you use on a daily basis it's a lot more than a machine, hose and wand.
My first goal when i started was to build my bank balance to a comfortable level where it could withstand a severe quite period or a breakdown of equipment etc, but its a balance between investment and saving, without a large investment you will not reap the rewards or it will take a lot longer, take leafleting for example it is very costly, and has been mentioned has to be done regularly, its alright doing it yourself but when business picks up you wont have the time, then the work you used to get from leaflets stops, the only way aroung this is finding a reliable person to deliver which is not easy and costly.
Last and not the least the driving force to make your business work for me was fear, the fear of the alternative.

All the best of luck, refuse to fail and you wont :)

Matt Seymour

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 02:01:04 pm »
I'm not knocking people for spending a lot of money on start up. I'm just trying to reassure Jamie (who only has £4k) that you can start a business with that amount of money.

His original post prompted a few replies suggesting that £4k isn't enough and that just isn't true.

A limited budget just means you have to work that bit harder and do much more yourself. I would love to have had more money to spend so I could have had a site professionally built or had a newer van, but I just made the best of what I had and I am managing to get by.

If your budget is small, then start small, make a success of that and then move up a level. That's all I am saying.

wynne jones

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 02:11:54 pm »
Matt I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying about start up costs, like you can save a lot if you are prepaired to invest in good second hand kit.

What I want new people to really take on board is the liklihood is in your first year you will not make enough money from that to support your outgoings, you will probably have to dip into savings, have another means of income as well or go into debt.

There will always be exceptions but most people think you will be up and running in a few months and replace your old income. It could easily take a year or two for even a very commited person, just be aware of what may be in store .

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 02:19:18 pm »
dont think hard work always pays off... feel that allot of useless ponds can be spent on marketing and wont see any return on investment for it... think what to remeber is thinking is free so buy lots of it 

Matt Seymour

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 02:28:21 pm »
Matt,

great advice there think I am on the same level of thinking as you just reassured my head... think you are right about the van aswell ppl spend allot of money on unneeded eye candy and can take up allot of funds...

how did you set up your own web page? really impressed with your work sir...

where did you buy your machine aswell ? ebay ?

also where did you buy your sign writing look gd on the web page

Have you got an leaflet in pdf format or sumthing that you could send me to give me an idea?

must say matt really have done well with the budget you had to work with but the price range you are charging could be a bit more? or are you upsailing once you enter the costumers house?

email me if you like matt jc-lindsay@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Jamie,

I'm just trying to reassure you mate. You CAN start a business for £4000, but you'll have to put in a massive amount of time and effort to compensate for the lack of funds.

In an ideal world you would be able to buy a brand new top of the range machine and a nearly new van, but you don't have the funds to do it, so make the best of what you have.

The most important things are training, the machine, cleaning products and marketing. You can get all of those for a couple of thousand or so with a bit of luck.

I got my machine from a guy on another forum and I had to go a few hundred miles to pick it up, but it was still a real bargain. You do come across professional machines on Ebay from time to time though.

I think I got my sign writing from a site called signbuilder or something like that. You basically choose the van you have and it brings up an image of it so you can play about and design your signwriting, upload any images and see what it will look like. Once you are done, you click "buy" and they send it all to you with the adhesive etc. Mine cost about £80 or £90 as I only have a small van.

No, I don't upsell. My prices are low to start with, but I am planning to increase them. I wanted my prices to be low enough as to make it possible for the less well off to be able to afford to have their carpets professionally cleaned as well as the more affluent. Why go in high and price people out so they end up going out and hiring a Rug Doctor? That's work you could have had even if it doesn't pay top dollar. When you first start off you need all the work you can get. It all depends on what you want or need to earn.

First of all get some training though. You'll also find that this and other forums are full of vastly experienced and knowledgable people who are willing to share that with you and it is invaluable. There are some really wise heads on here who have been there and done it.

I'll email you as well mate.

Matt Seymour

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 02:32:32 pm »
Matt I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying about start up costs, like you can save a lot if you are prepaired to invest in good second hand kit.

What I want new people to really take on board is the liklihood is in your first year you will not make enough money from that to support your outgoings, you will probably have to dip into savings, have another means of income as well or go into debt.

There will always be exceptions but most people think you will be up and running in a few months and replace your old income. It could easily take a year or two for even a very commited person, just be aware of what may be in store .

I agree.

First year is hard in any business. I am finding it really hit and miss, but the positive is that I have already almost covered my start up costs, which was my first aim.

You also need to put a few quid to one side to cover unforseen events such as problems with your machine (I've had a couple) and there will be weeks when you earn almost nothing.

james roffey

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 03:05:25 pm »
Mat i agree that you may well be able to start a carpet cleaning business on a very tight budget but it will be a slow build, one thing i do not agree though is very low prices, how do you intend raising them laterwith your present customers.
But for a new starter maybe its the way to go, i have gone the other way bigger investment targeting middle to upper bracket and charging what i think is a fair price allowing me to do a thorough job, it may be abit riskier and slower to build but long term i am hoping it will build a good customer base willing to pay well for a professional service.
One of the benefits is that customer recommending you to someone and not having to even go into how much it will cost, most people are willling to pay for good value rather than just cheap, this idea was never mine, i read it on the forums from you guys when i started and i agreed, i think the phrase was "busy fool" as has been mentioned on here already, trawl through the forums past posts pick what you think will work and what you need to make your business work you have the benefit of hundreds of years experience at hand, use it.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 03:20:53 pm »
The biggest problem with people new to the industry is they think they are carpet cleaners  - first and foremost you are running a business.

If you can't understand and employ the fundamentals of running a business, then I guarantee you will be still on this forum in a years time bitching about how quiet it is and how you could never charge the prices that others mention.

Your priority must be marketing because without clients you are dead in the water.

Buy the best equipment you can afford, attend as many training course as you can afford, re-invest heavily back into marketing and spread your marketing net, don't just do leaflets for example.

Your prices must be in direct relation to your operating costs, some of the cheap prices I see mentioned on here and other forums beggar belief, I wouldn't get in the van for those prices, it would actually be costing me money - I could earn more on the phone or visiting companies cold calling.

Profit is not a dirty word and without it you can't run a business.

Matt Seymour

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 03:41:21 pm »
Mat i agree that you may well be able to start a carpet cleaning business on a very tight budget but it will be a slow build, one thing i do not agree though is very low prices, how do you intend raising them laterwith your present customers.
But for a new starter maybe its the way to go, i have gone the other way bigger investment targeting middle to upper bracket and charging what i think is a fair price allowing me to do a thorough job, it may be abit riskier and slower to build but long term i am hoping it will build a good customer base willing to pay well for a professional service.
One of the benefits is that customer recommending you to someone and not having to even go into how much it will cost, most people are willling to pay for good value rather than just cheap, this idea was never mine, i read it on the forums from you guys when i started and i agreed, i think the phrase was "busy fool" as has been mentioned on here already, trawl through the forums past posts pick what you think will work and what you need to make your business work you have the benefit of hundreds of years experience at hand, use it.

I agree. Referrals are hugely important in this business. Most of my business has come through referrals. I've already had 5 jobs in one family alone.

I am trying to set my prices at a level that doesn't price the less affluent out. Every carpet cleaner seems to want the more well off clients, so I thought I'd go after the the other end of the market to begin with. I have had a lot of jobs through Facebook and most of them haven't exactly been blessed with a lot of cash, so I've lowered my prices for them. It is leading to lots of referrals though and I got my first big paying commercial job through a Facebook referral.

I don't mind being a "busy fool" to begin with - just as long as I am busy and building a reputation as a person who does a good job. That's the most important thing to me.

I set myself up to try and earn £100 a day in my first year. That's my target. I am not quite there yet, but in my best week to date I earned nearly £600.

Of course I will be increasing my prices in due course, but right now it is about building a reputation to keep the referrals coming.

james roffey

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »
The best day i have had i earnt £490 the best week £1300 but some days i earn nothing, but still fill my time building my business.
I would rather do two jobs at £200 than four at £100 i still think you will lose a lot of those hard found customers when you raise your prices.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2010, 05:36:07 pm »
what are the best products to use ? ie pre spray ect ?

how much do use guys earn on average per job ?

Matt Seymour

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2010, 06:16:29 pm »
The best day i have had i earnt £490 the best week £1300 but some days i earn nothing, but still fill my time building my business.
I would rather do two jobs at £200 than four at £100 i still think you will lose a lot of those hard found customers when you raise your prices.

It all depends on what you want to earn. As I say, I am just looking to get by at the moment. If I can turnover £500 or £600 a week by the end of my first year I will be happy with that.

It's a modest income which allows me to pass on savings to the customer.

wynne jones

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2010, 06:42:18 pm »
Matt was that with a facebook page or just your profile. I was thinking of doing a page as I don't have a web site.

Matt Seymour

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2010, 06:55:30 pm »
Matt was that with a facebook page or just your profile. I was thinking of doing a page as I don't have a web site.

I have both Wynne.

I have my normal Facebook page and one for the business. There are loads of groups on Facebook usually called "Buy and Sell in...."

I just post my details up on there every few days and it brings in a few jobs. Have to say they are usually fairly low end jobs, but every little helps.

Create a page for the business and get all your friends to "like" or "share" it and the enquiries should start coming in.

I would advise you to get a website though.

wynne jones

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2010, 08:01:22 pm »
Nice one. Ta Matt

ryan mca

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2010, 10:13:39 pm »
  Jaime
  I started 6 months ago got a prochem steampro and a flexi 5 from ebay 3 days training
at cleansmart chems from cleansmart, restormate, solutions and prochem (greenock)
could not find any training cources in scotland so travel and hotel knocks the price up
if your thinking of joining ncca then go on there cource as you need to do it to join
I only clean part time and have a full time job if you still stay with your parents give
it a go full time but if you have commitments then find a part time job makes life easier
and allows reinvestment to build. If you lets know where in scotland you are you might
get one of the guys to take you out for a day but be prepared to travel.

Ryan

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2010, 10:51:43 pm »
thanks for the reply ryan live in glasgow west end but can travel... wer is your company based ?

fitz2kleen

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2010, 04:21:35 pm »
just a question?

do you all leaflet around your jobs?
ie: if you are working at mrs smiths at number 25 do you leaflet 5 up 5 down on both sides of the street?

everyone knows that when you pull in your van curtains twitch. and a leaflet in there door kick starts them into looking at there own carpets.
last week I has 3 quote requests ones booked for next week,ones booking when they finish decorating the other is one of them [[ will they wont they ]] but 2 outta three me old mate meatloaf said aint bad :)
Regards Marc

Matt Seymour

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2010, 04:28:01 pm »
I stopped leafleting during August because of the school holidays, but I'm just about to start again.

On the whole I have found that leaflets delivered during the evening work best, so I don't often deliver them during the day, but popping a few through letterboxes on the same street as a job I have just finished is something I do occasionally.

derek west

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 04:47:48 pm »
carpet cleaning is a cut throat business, very hard to make a profit in the first couple of years. i would consider something different like driveway/patio cleaning, theres some good bits of kit in the for sale section and on ebay, less competition and good profits with no chems to buy, think about it.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2010, 07:09:06 pm »
no changing my mind on the carpet cleaning I've got my mind set on it and done alot of local research... what do yous think after tax is the min a cleaner should be walking away with I know its how hard you work at it but from past experience?

jasonl

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2010, 07:17:34 pm »
For me , it is not all about ££££ in your hand , as there are other benefits that are more valuable than cash. Really you need to get out of the employee    mindset

Obviously you need a certain cashsum each month for your personal needs , however , you should be able to run a car, phone, certain travel at home and abroad, meals out ,proportion of household utilities  and several other things which can make your income in real  terms very attractive.

It realy is up to you what you achieve.

I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2010, 07:21:53 pm »
thanks for that.... I'm not just in it for the money as well really like the idea of having my own way of working and the presure of getting my own work sick of the 9-5 getting told what to do cant be having that all my days haha... so you would say it carpet cleaning is a good game then ?

Matt Seymour

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2010, 07:36:59 pm »
Being your own boss is great, but it does come with the pressure of knowing that you have no one else to blame should you fail.

Reaping the rewards of success is one thing, but there is the other side of the coin.

I am enjoying being my own boss, deciding when I work and making my own decisions without being overruled or inteference from those above.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2010, 07:40:44 pm »
think it takes a rare individual to suceed in this field

derek west

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2010, 07:46:56 pm »
patience, grit, determination and a lot of hard work. 16 hour days, if your not cleaning you should be out leafletting or designing new ads or sorting out your web site, or training in the garage with new techniques for stain removal.

to succeed you need to live it, breathe it, eat it.

i know
drama queen, without a glide of course.

jasonl

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2010, 07:50:53 pm »
thanks for that.... I'm not just in it for the money as well really like the idea of having my own way of working and the presure of getting my own work sick of the 9-5 getting told what to do cant be having that all my days haha... so you would say it carpet cleaning is a good game then ?

It is not really a game , you cannot play at it , it is like any business , hard work and you will succeed , it is the low barrier to entry and the lack of regulation which I think attracts people. Most do not realise that finding customers who wish to pay the price for a quality clean is the hardest part , and I think only 10% are still around after a year , maybe less.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »
cant agree with you more think if your heart isnt in it you will have to chance succeeding

what machine would you recommend to start with something like the ninja with 400psi ?

wynne jones

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2010, 07:53:24 pm »
If you are going to get going do it right now. The lead up to Christmas is the busiest time of the year for most people and you need a month or two to get up to speed.

Carpet cleaning is very competitive because of easy entry to the industry, this means you have to beat off probably 10 other cleaners in your area for jobs. If someone makes a go of carpet cleaning they are not relying on talent they are in fact a cut above the average business man and could probably succeed in most other businesses.

d. you naughty man. ;D

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2010, 08:13:48 pm »
looking to get started early next month

Matt Lindus

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2010, 09:39:05 pm »

I am 22 with a engineering background but have saw a major gap in my local area in this market

Please dont listen to the guys on this forum. I beg you not to throw away an Engineering future away. This game is ok for a few extra quid to top your wage up part time but please dont throw away a good future for this mostly crap industry.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2010, 09:40:17 pm »
patience, grit, determination and a lot of hard work. 16 hour days, if your not cleaning you should be out leafletting or designing new ads or sorting out your web site, or training in the garage with new techniques for stain removal.

to succeed you need to live it, breathe it, eat it.

i know
drama queen, without a glide of course.

we just had this very same conversation today.... on our way to silverstone for a day away from business lol, live it, sleep it, breathe it. possibly the only thing you dont do is..... sh*g it.
the business sure as hell gets more attention than our relationship!
would we change it??..... nahhhhh not a chance :)

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:02 pm »
dont worry matt i have done my research on this and know how hard an industry it is... its no walk in the park.... some people can work for people happily take a guaranteed wage at the end off the month but after being in engineering over the years all I have done is think about "what if" I started on my own you only live once my friend and I have no ties to not give it a good go its a win win.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2010, 10:18:37 pm »

Please dont listen to the guys on this forum. I beg you not to throw away an Engineering future away. This game is ok for a few extra quid to top your wage up part time but please dont throw away a good future for this mostly crap industry.

I came from an engineering background,I've programed machines to produce for M.O.D,aerospace and olympic runners [ para-olympics ] along with various domestic controls and gave it up due to work being sent abroad, so to say throw away a good future, unless your going abroad to work thats b******s [[ technical term]].
I am also a qualified communications technician installing the link from Cardiff,Swansea to bristol for BT so I have a few strings to my bow.
There are one or two negative people on this site and I for one cant understand why they bother venturing here other than there attitudes preceed them and they have nothing else to do.
After 18mths of hard slog we have just had the best week/month and long may it continue, as this has come around through hard work from my partner [trena] who has pretty much self taught herself how to make the most of our web site.
 I may be able to make a limb for a para-olympian but i wouldnt have a clue where web sites are concerned.
And of course the people We call upon when we [Trena and myself] turn quotes into work that is bigger than us both to cope with alone.
Having an engineering background is a great plus in this industry as breakdowns are looked at from a technical perspective and dealt with accordingly.
Never let the plonkers knock your chosen path and belittle it.
A strong belief in yourself and a good woman helps :) and the gift of the gab also comes in handy
Regards Marc

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2010, 05:18:07 pm »
totally agree with what your saying marc engineering isnt what it used to be mate

jasonl

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2010, 06:09:59 pm »
totally agree with what your saying marc engineering isnt what it used to be mate

I wish I had studied engineering , this is my younger brother , Idid better than him at school too!

http://halmapr.com/news/aquionics/2010/09/10/aquionics-announces-new-president-oliver-lawal/
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2010, 06:21:30 pm »
not saying a bad word about engineering think its a great industry to be in... just not for me...  good luck to your brother tho looks like he has done well for himself

Matt Lindus

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:54 pm »
Jamie,

What qualifications do you have in Engineering?

Matt

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2010, 09:02:10 pm »
not got any qualifications just worked as a cad technician (draughtsman) for the last 4 years or so.... worked in the civil ans structural side of things... can I ask why you ask ?

wynne jones

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2010, 10:44:38 pm »
I would hazard a gues there are more carpet cleaning millionaires than Engineering millionaires, but the average net worth of an engineer will be far more than the average for carpet cleaners. But it's not all about money is it?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:22 pm »
Depends on what value you put on yourself and what you think of being called a carpet cleaner or engineer!

Not sure if there are more carpet cleaning millionaires than engineering ones as engineering companies get some really big deals.

Shaun

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2010, 11:17:31 pm »
sitting at a desk all day isnt the best thing for your head aswell haha