CleanClear

1.6 HDI Berlingo question
« on: August 13, 2018, 05:59:41 pm »
I've had the 2.0 HDI Berlingo, found that very nippy. I now have the 1.9 D (non turbo) , whilst slower its ok for me. I just have a 350 tank in the back. Looking at a slightly newer Berlingo and thats a 1.6 HDI, just wanted to know what the engines like, pulls ok etc... just seems a doubt to me going to a smaller engine ?
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

andyM

Re: 1.6 HDI Berlingo question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:06:23 pm »
I've always found my Partner 1.6 HDi to be more than adequate.
I had a 1.9d Berlingo before and the 1.6 HDi is miles better on economy and power.
One of the Plebs

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:34:40 pm »
 all the manufacturers seem to be putting smaller diesel engines in newer vans.ive got a 1.5 (120ps)euro 6 engine in my connect.....its ok!pulls quite well for such a small engine even with a full 500L tank....

i think youll be fine with  1.6 HDi engine....
price higher/work harder!

Don Kee

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:12:10 pm »
I've had the 2.0 HDI Berlingo, found that very nippy. I now have the 1.9 D (non turbo) , whilst slower its ok for me. I just have a 350 tank in the back. Looking at a slightly newer Berlingo and thats a 1.6 HDI, just wanted to know what the engines like, pulls ok etc... just seems a doubt to me going to a smaller engine ?

The 1.6  HDI (turbo) will pull better than the 1.9 and will probably be better on fuel.

No idea on common faults though, same as any engine though I’d imagine; look hard enough and they’ll always be gremlins.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:50:51 pm »
I have a dispatch 1.6hdi with 500ltr, it's absolutely fine. However, they are much better with the EGR valve blanked off. Mine used to smoke like a good'n and went through egr valves like there was no tomorrow- £7 blanking plate and had zero issues or any smoke since.. about 30k  miles ago!
Comfortably Numb!

Spruce

Re: 1.6 HDI Berlingo question New
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 07:58:45 am »

Although the 1.6hdi engines are better, the early ones in the Berlingo suffered from turbo issues. The same issue affected 1.6hdi engines in the Expert, Scudo and Dispatch. The Berlingo 1.6hdi came in 2 engine specs, 70 and 92 hp

You need to be looking for a good service history completed by a competent service center. PSA gave advise that the engine oil needed to be drained via the sump plug when hot and the vehicle on a level ground.  Some garages use a 'honey sucker' through the dip stick to save removing the under engine tray to do the job properly. They said that the issue of carbon buildup was due to incorrect oil used, incorrect servicing schedules and incorrect draining procedures.
Turbo failures were the result of a clogged oil supply pipe to the turbo due to carbon buildup.

Interestingly this issue wasn't experienced with many Picassos using the same engine. I also believe that things improved with a new oil sump design and oil pickup pipe and pickup pipe filter.

Going smaller on diesel engines is against my old generation views. The torque of the 2.0 hdi compared to the 1.6hdi is noticable but the hp was made up with turbo boost. The means it starts to take on petrol engine characteristics. But a diesel engine is all about low down torque rather than developed HP at revs.

One of my customers replaced his 2.0tdi VW Yeti with a Renault Kadjar 1.5dci. He doesn't like the way the engine performs - similar horsepower.

I would hate to think what the new 1.2 and 1.0 diesel eco engines are going to be like to drive.  Keeping a turbo spooled up in stop start traffic will be the challenge even going to electrically driven turbo's.  I understand that VW have chosen to not reduce engine size below 1.6tdi in future vehicles.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)