turneylogan

What would you have charged?
« on: November 21, 2007, 02:52:42 pm »
Don't normally lose that many quotes but lost this one.

Very large house, 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 4 reception, playroom, hall, stairs, landing.

You could have a banquet on the landing and in the hall. Large rooms, fine (mostly wool) carpets. 18-seater dining table. Masses of antique furniture to move (protect from carpet moisture). All furniture to be moved in all rooms.

Water damage from radiator in lounge plus large rust stain. Dining room badly stained. Lounge badly stained.

Quoted £436.00 based on my trusted formula of £45 per hour (9.7 hours work for one person). What would you have charged out of interest?

Re: What would you have charged?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:06:37 pm »
I price at £4 per sq metre and it sounds a lot bigger than 109 sq metres  :o

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:09:46 pm »
How do you know it was price that made the decision?

turneylogan

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 03:33:15 pm »
How do you know it was price that made the decision?

I am assuming that this is reason as she asked us to quote for carpets because she was very pleased with previous domestic cleaning work.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 03:49:34 pm »
If you already have a relationship with her, you could drop her a line saying thanks for letting us quote etc. Then ask her to complete a feedback form for her future needs.

I used to ring them up but got very guarded responses or fob offs. This way I invaribly find out what really went wrong.

Framing it this way you are more likely to get honest and useful information.

Asking on here about pricing it is quite frankly a waste of time. You couldn't get 5 people to agree the time let alone how much to charge.

David_Annable

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 05:29:18 pm »
Hi

If you dont lose many quotes, you could proberly charge more.

The theory is that if they all say yes your to cheap.

Off course there are many more variables to take into account.

Dave

NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

carpet guy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 07:21:53 pm »
If you are already doing house cleaning for this lady, she has probably been taken aback, that one person at £45 an hour, seems expensive when compared to 2 @ £22 per hour, or thereabouts.

Just a thought

*paul_moss

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 07:23:34 pm »
If you are already doing house cleaning for this lady, she has probably been taken aback, that one person at £45 an hour, seems expensive when compared to 2 @ £22 per hour, or thereabouts.

Just a thought

Your dead right.

Thats why most general cleaners struggle to get the higher/correct prices for cleaning carpets and upholstery.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

carpet guy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 07:26:40 pm »
How did you answer so quickly

*paul_moss

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 07:29:51 pm »
I know what your thinking before you do  ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

carpet guy

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 07:33:51 pm »
Is that psychic, psycho !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe H

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 07:39:44 pm »
Main part of my business for the last 18 years has been general domestic and small office cleaning - with the help of more then a few part time workers.
As I have developed the carpet cleaning side, I find not many of the domestic cleaning clients use my carpet cleaning service. Having said that one those that has now books on a regular basis and will be there tomorrow.
But yes, whats been said is probably right - they cant get their head round what they are paying for.

*paul_moss

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 07:41:43 pm »
psycho !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strange that used to be my nick name. ;D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 12:19:05 pm »
Now it is just Mental Hair  :o ;D ;)

liahona

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 06:08:38 pm »
Betterclean, have you thought that your price was too low instead of perhaps too high? 

Best, Dave.

*paul_moss

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 06:12:30 pm »
Now it is just Mental Hair  :o ;D ;)

Chris you jealous baldy chap you. 8)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

turneylogan

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 10:22:04 pm »
Betterclean, have you thought that your price was too low instead of perhaps too high?

Best, Dave.

Dave, I don't think I'm cheap and very rarely am I the cheapest quote, but I get about 95% conversion on my domestic cleaning business quotes and although I've only been doing CCing seriously for the last few months (previously a by-product) I get a similar response from this business. I have had 23 years of sales experience before setting up the cleaning business which has taught me to set my business up around what the customer wants, and so when I get to see them all I have to do is tell them what they want to know and deliver in excess of their expectations, and it is working as I am building up referrals.

I have mostly won business against cheaper quotes but in this instance I wasn't so much asking for advice as to what went wrong, I was interested in what other people charge, as in this case I've discovered the other quote was for about half of mine, namely £200.

I just can't get my head around the fact that someone would charge so little for so much work, and not even a job that can easily be skimped.

Joe H

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 10:28:21 pm »
Maybe you will get the opportunity to see the client again (thro domestiic cleaning) and be able to ask was the job done to satisfaction.

Re: What would you have charged? New
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 02:00:43 pm »
Paul .......... some say it is my best feature and my best side  ::)