NBwcs

Raging inflation
« on: May 06, 2022, 11:24:00 am »
Just starting to see the first signs of change this week. I've had about four custys come up with reasons not to clean this time. Not too bothered, they've not cancelled altogether which is the main thing but what i have also seen is  a couple of my custys at home when they're usually at work who are in the building trade and said things have gone very quiet. Autumn/winter could be a very testing time for our trade. The only protection we have is to keep on taking work on  above and beyond  our usual numbers to create a buffer. We've come through alot of "crisis" in my time shining but this could prove to be the biggest test yet.

zesty

Re: Raging inflation
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 01:25:08 pm »
It’s defo going to be very interesting.

Housing market surely on the road to a big crash soon as well.

I think things will get very bad. Not necessarily for us, just the economy in general.

My sister is very high up in the energy company ‘utilita’ and she has seen unprecedented numbers of people unable to pay their fuel bills.

Inflation will get worse.

This is what happens when you muller an economy with lockdowns, money printing and the like.

War in Ukraine hasn’t helped, but it’s not the crux of the issue.

Autumn/winter will be very very interesting!

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 03:07:15 pm »
what i cant understand is why some peoples gas/electric bills direct debits  have gone up from say £80 a month to £240 a month(it should be around £125 per month)..thats 3 times as much!not 54% more! ::)roll

somethings not right somewhere...the gas/electric companies are taking the pee....

if i paid by direct debit i wouldnt let them take it....id cancel it! >:(

i have noticed more customers paying late...in fact ive had to dump a few too
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 03:18:08 pm »

I think things will get very bad. Not necessarily for us, just the economy in general.

My sister is very high up in the energy company ‘utilita’ and she has seen unprecedented numbers of people unable to pay their fuel bills.

This is what happens when you muller an economy with lockdowns, money printing and the like.

theres nothing interesting in customers not paying us or being skint....

G Griffin

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 03:57:11 pm »
The charge on borrowing is going up, so that will be interesting.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 05:51:09 pm »
I said way before lockdown monthly work on domestics shortly will have had it’s day nothing to do with the economy it’s just the way it’s been  going in general over the last 10 or so years,over that period 6 weeks has been the new monthly and within the next 18 months more than likely bi monthly will be the new 6 weekly.
I would in no way be shocked if someone who had 800 customers over a monthly cycle were all of a sudden looking for a extra 400 looking to bridge the gap between cleans,I have monthly jobs but only a few if I had a full round full of that I’d be expecting push backs at the very least and would be taking action now to fill in the gaps prices aren’t just going up a bit they are quadrupling in some cases,windows once a month can stay love I don’t think so tbh.

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 07:38:45 pm »
If it wasnt plastered all over the news would any of us really notice that much ?

Paying more in bills and fuel etc but cant say "im feeling it" i earn more than i live on so have room in my budget.

Im sure we will lose some customers who are living  hand to mouth, i have already but with a good bit of advertising we should be  replacing them with better work .

I think at times like this its better to attack than defend so get prices put up and overload your books with work rather than sat curled up in a corner.

G Griffin

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 07:41:28 pm »
Those with the least will feel it the most.
Them's the rules.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

zesty

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 07:52:42 pm »

theres nothing interesting in customers not paying us or being skint....

It interests me. It’s a big issue, so I find the current economic situation interesting. That doesn’t mean find it fun Daz.

Crikey you’re hard work sometimes!

Drake

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 05:13:50 pm »
In 25 years of window cleaning I've never picked up so much work.
Hopefully if work goes quiet I've picked up more than I can lose

hotsteam

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 08:02:01 pm »
I hate all the negative talk, this is not how Britain did well in the past.

I've been putting up my prices by £2, £3, £5 or £10 think positive, the first step is the hardest !

Just get on with it, think positive and be positive !

mac74

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 08:58:08 pm »
I hate all the negative talk, this is not how Britain did well in the past.

I've been putting up my prices by £2, £3, £5 or £10 think positive, the first step is the hardest !

Just get on with it, think positive and be positive !

Same with me, £1 - £5 max increases on those jobs that haven't gone up in several years, but do NEED to rise.
My feedback over the last few months is that people seem to be expecting it right now, and excepting it.
I wouldn't push it to far though unless its necessary, as nowadays most people are on the local facebook/ whats app groups to compare prices.

lee_dewing

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2022, 04:38:47 pm »
At the moment no not todays.

I probably have 20% more than I can get around in a month.

As Drake said,

At the moment I keep picking up work
Not bundles but 2-3 a month even with turning down that many too.

Thought covid was going to slap me in the face but didn’t stop apart from usually rainy day.

No one knows what the future holds
But if people are indoors more saving
They might see dirty windows 😆

thanks lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

jonboywalton75

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 09:58:49 am »
Yeah I'm still picking and choosing which work I take on, in fact knocking back a lot of new stuff I just don't fancy, so I'm not noticing anything yet.
We'll see

NWH

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 11:18:03 am »
Imo it’s coming to everyone.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2022, 11:57:36 am »
Imo it’s coming to everyone.
Why?

NWH

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 12:07:44 pm »
It will affect everyone later in the year or the last 1/4 just because people are asking for their windows to be cleaned now means nothing,wait till they start getting 2000 grand bills for what used to be 500 it will show you who has money and who just has credit.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 12:26:13 pm »
I think we might all lose a few here and there...but there's always someone new that wants their windows cleaned..
We will be ok...have faith ;)

Jonny 87

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 12:33:43 pm »
If majority of people struggle to pay a £15 window cleaning bill then it will be a sign that everyone is in trouble. So far window cleaning has been pretty recession proof.

You may have to work harder, but there is always work. People with disposable income don’t look to save money by cutting back the window cleaner. They have other bills that make our piddling bill a drop on the ocean.

Just keep building and refining the business, and don’t be greedy with price rises.

Stop worrying.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

SB Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 12:38:52 pm »
If majority of people struggle to pay a £15 window cleaning bill then it will be a sign that everyone is in trouble. So far window cleaning has been pretty recession proof.

You may have to work harder, but there is always work. People with disposable income don’t look to save money by cutting back the window cleaner. They have other bills that make our piddling bill a drop on the ocean.

Just keep building and refining the business, and don’t be greedy with price rises.

Stop worrying.
Exactly  :)

Shrek

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2022, 05:33:41 pm »
It’s strange watching the news talking about more and more people struggling to pay their bills and having to go to food banks etc. Iv just come back from the Trafford centre in Manchester  , it was packed. Restaurants were packed , queues of people outside every restaurant. People buying designer gear and all sorts. I went to krispy Kremes after it , guess what … it was packed. Maybe not everyone is struggling or maybe the news exaggerates … just a little.

Slacky

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2022, 10:56:28 pm »
Telling people everything is cushty doesn’t make for good advertising revenue.

NBwcs

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2022, 11:17:45 pm »
It’s strange watching the news talking about more and more people struggling to pay their bills and having to go to food banks etc. Iv just come back from the Trafford centre in Manchester  , it was packed. Restaurants were packed , queues of people outside every restaurant. People buying designer gear and all sorts. I went to krispy Kremes after it , guess what … it was packed. Maybe not everyone is struggling or maybe the news exaggerates … just a little.

News at times exaggerates alot, this week, a woman was interviewed on a news channel and said her regular Aldi shop had gone up from £50 a week to £120. It doesn't take Poirot to realise what utter gonads that is. The average cost of goodies in the supermarket hasn't risen over 100%, yet they chose to go with it. Totally irresponsible , just looking for a shock headline without any evidence whatsoever. We did a Lidl's shop this week and frankly hardly noticed much difference from usual, admittedly not a scientific result in itself but not a 100 % plus increase on usual . Same media that post pictures of empty shelves and cause totally unnecessary panic buying, total tossers.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 08:48:31 am »
I have this week had a 'rare as hen's teeth moment. Two customers asking for extra cleans due to dust in the rain and one asking to increase to 4 weekly from 8 weekly during the summer.

I do think the autumn heating bills will make some people's eyes water. We shall see.
It's a game of three halves!

james peters

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 10:03:27 am »

I  completely agree,  I was listening to the news whilst driving home, there were queues outside the chip shop.
I had just come back from a weekend away, we visited barmouth and it was full of tourists.

DJW

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2022, 12:33:02 pm »
Early days.
The poorest will get hit first, as far as I know none of my customers use a food bank. Your typical customer will probably be middle class and upwards. Those kind of people can absorb the increase in cost of living for a while longer.
Wait ‘till the Autumn and Winter to see what happens I reckon. Even the new builds are on fixed low interest mortgages. Nothing is that bad ………….. yet!

Rob.Hall

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2022, 09:36:01 pm »
Chap on radio said it's after the next energy fuel price rise that most people will feel it.
At the moment it's people who were just getting by.

colin bird

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 07:38:03 am »

Same here in Horsham West Sussex,I picked my son up from work on Saturday at 7 pm ,there were loads of people about,the restaurants and bars I drove past were  all very busy

Ggh

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2022, 08:01:52 am »
I think it’s likely that the post Brexit/Covid recession, will mostly affect those that already can’t afford a regular window cleaning service.

Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 09:09:51 am »
No such thing as real poverty in this country compared to most of the world's population....

Shrek

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2022, 08:25:11 pm »
Chap on radio said it's after the next energy fuel price rise that most people will feel it.

I’m so glad I got solar panels fitted when in 2012, I’m on the original higher tariff which pays at least £1500 back to me a year and goes up with inflation every year. So when my bills go up to £2700 a year in October , I won’t feel it too much . I was told I was stupid back then when I spent £7k on them. So glad i made the decision now!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2022, 08:46:34 pm »

I’m so glad I got solar panels fitted when in 2012, I’m on the original higher tariff which pays at least £1500 back to me a year and goes up with inflation every year. So when my bills go up to £2700 a year in October , I won’t feel it too much . I was told I was stupid back then when I spent £7k on them. So glad i made the decision now!
I've noticed more people asking for solar panels to be cleaned lately....

Smudger

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2022, 11:24:56 pm »
yep suddenly the farmers are desperate to get their large arrays cleaned  ;D

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Ggh

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2022, 07:26:59 am »
We’ve turned LOTS of work down. Booked up til October. All businesses are looking to save money on their energy costs.

From £350/day

Shrek

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2022, 10:05:17 am »
No inflation here , I don’t think there’s any window cleaners here either 😂
Houses apparently going for 99p in auction and on rightmove there around £60k compared to £150k back in 2005!

PRIMROSE COURT HUYTON - ENTER IF YOU HAVE MASSIVE BALLS

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/inside-viral-tiktok-horror-estate-26042526.amp

Spruce

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2022, 11:01:20 am »
No inflation here , I don’t think there’s any window cleaners here either 😂
Houses apparently going for 99p in auction and on rightmove there around £60k compared to £150k back in 2005!

PRIMROSE COURT HUYTON - ENTER IF YOU HAVE MASSIVE BALLS

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/inside-viral-tiktok-horror-estate-26042526.amp

Can't be that bad. They haven't stolen the Transit van yet.  ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Slacky

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2022, 10:08:03 am »
yep suddenly the farmers are desperate to get their large arrays cleaned  ;D

Darran

Picked up a very nice/interesting 600 panel array on a corn merchants setup. Not been cleaned in 10 years. It’s the worst solar panel clean I’ve ever done. I’ll be sure to put up pics. It has plants growing between the panels in places. Delightful. Looking forward to it.

NWH

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2022, 11:32:39 am »
Blimey I had a woman ask me to clean 6 lol no joking aside I have a solar job next week at a house I do she’s got 2 banks together of 6x6 panels 50-60 meters long,once a year nice little earner on top of the windows. 

Slacky

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2022, 01:06:50 pm »

Slacky

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2022, 01:07:45 pm »

SB Cleaning

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2022, 01:23:48 pm »
They are really bad Slacky..are you going to pressure wash them?
I did 550 on a chicken farm a couple of months back it was a nice easy job, no lichen, just really dusty.

Slacky

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2022, 02:33:15 pm »
They are really bad Slacky..are you going to pressure wash them...
I did 550 on a chicken farm a couple of months back it was a nice easy job, no lichen, just really dusty.

Yea, I’ll P/W them.

Half of them will be done off a cherry picker, so that’ll be a little slower than regular easy access stuff. The other half straight out of the valley between two adjoining roofs. Im thinking 4 days, simply because they’re so bad. I’ll be perfectly happy if it turns out to be 5 days. 3 would be a result!

It’s a good job money wise. I did an 800 panel array up near Heathrow in the new year, P/W, took two days, but it wasn’t something you could let up on.it was two full days, but again solar panels are good money given the right job and volume of work.

Slacky

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2022, 02:35:35 pm »
Imagine scrubbing/brushing a job like that   ;D   ;D   ;D

Slacky

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2022, 02:37:40 pm »
The thing I find with pressure washing solar panels you have to be disciplined when moving the pressure washer about the panel. Any shortcuts and you see it when they’ve dried. I follow the lines, makes for a far more effective clean.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2022, 02:45:26 pm »
Imagine scrubbing/brushing a job like that   ;D   ;D   ;D
I bet there's some that would have a go ;D ;D

Ggh

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2022, 04:50:36 pm »

Yup, grain stores are the worst!
From £350/day

NWH

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2022, 05:07:06 pm »
Blimey I’ve done 8 like that not that bad though what do you use to get that off.

NWH

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2022, 05:07:58 pm »
Most that I do have a bit of tree sap which is also a nightmare to get off but mainly dust and birds mess.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2022, 05:29:45 pm »
Blimey I’ve done 8 like that not that bad though what do you use to get that off.
Elbow grease.

NWH

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2022, 06:03:45 pm »
Yeah that’s what i had to use it was a nightmare they are under an oak tree with lichen and tree sap,tbh I couldn’t get them completely clean.

Slacky

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2022, 06:16:23 pm »
Those panels’ll come up pretty good first time round with solar panel FSC on them. Even with the unit turned down they’ll come up good.

Slacky

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2022, 06:16:53 pm »
Might take some patience but there won’t be any graft involved.

Slacky

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2022, 06:18:03 pm »
Sunny day, headphones, audio book, that’s my tax bill for 6 months paid.

NWH

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2022, 06:39:48 pm »
Blimey what the July  one what’s that a 6-7 k job then is it lol.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2022, 09:17:01 am »

I  completely agree,  I was listening to the news whilst driving home, there were queues outside the chip shop.
I had just come back from a weekend away, we visited barmouth and it was full of tourists.

I got back from Barmouth on the 23rd🤣
I can confirm the truth of this post
People were spending lots of money👍