mlscontractcleaner

Trunk mounts; at what price??
« on: December 05, 2009, 01:46:19 pm »
Hi all. After starting out as a window cleaner some twenty years ago, then adding contract cleaning and carpet cleaning some eight years ago I'd like to push the carpet side of my business more in 2010 and have a van fitted out with a truckmounted machine.

The biggest investment made so far by me was going from traditional window cleaning to WFP but it was well worth it in terms of extra work and extra earnings, aswell as the obvious safety aspect.

What I would like to know is:

1, What sort of initial outlay would be involved in having a decent system fitted in a van. I doesn't have to be new, just as long as it's in good condition?

2, What sort of limitations would a trunkmount have over a portable machine. There must be quite a few situations where access is difficult and impractical.

3, Is it worth the outlay, ie, will I notice much of a difference in terms of time taken to clean a carpet, etc?

4, Are running costs high?

I'm sorry if these questions seem a little basic to the more seasoned carpet cleaners out there but I just want to find out all I can before parting with a big wedge of money.

Cheers

Lee
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

Ryan Smyth

Re: Trunk mounts; at what price??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 01:57:00 pm »
I have a nearly new spitfire 3.2 for sale  only 277 hours, mint condition bargain at £3900

Ryan

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:20:35 pm »
Lee

A truckmount is the best tool in the box.

But before you choose a machine, first you need to see what your needs are. If you haven't attended a formal training course yet, then do that first.  IICRC and NCCA are the leaders for generic training and Prochem, amongst others, are leading supplier/manufacturer trainers.

If your intention is to clean carpets as an aside to your main core window cleaning, and you are looking at maybe a lounge or two a day, then a quality portable would probably be the better business decision. If you intend to clean very high rise buildings, office carpets, or high security premises where the doors and windows are locked all the time, you may need to look at a low moisture system. If you are looking for high productivity and high volume, especially with high soil loadings, where access is not a problem, then a Truckmount is the way to go.

Speaking as someone who doesn't run a truckmount, the impression I get about running costs is that you are looking at between 40 and 80 hours running time between services plus the cost of the fuel. Initially this may appear to be a heavy overhead, but because of the immense productivity rate, the cost is a very low price to pay, and regular service is easily completed quickly by anyone who knows how to hold a spanner.

As for purchase price, it would only be fair to give examples of new prices and then you can place your own values on previously owned machines and van.

Most of our industry suppliers and manufacturers will now offer a package of truckmount and van along with the necessary options and upgrades. I would estimate that a quality new entry level T/M and van setup would cost in the region of £25k. There are other lower cost options available that don't follow the traditional T/M configuration about which we're hearing good reports. I'm thinking along the lines of the likes of the Prowler and the Phoenix.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
The Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

richie

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:36:42 pm »
Truckmounts are the way to go if you have the work for them.  Even high rise buildings can be done with a truckmount.  As long as you can open a window 3 inches then your in with the truckmount.  The purchase of air movers will cut down on condensation if you are in a enclosed enviroment.  A entry level machine is capable of running 350 feet of hose which is more than enough for 95% of the biggest jobs you will encounter.  A spitfire 3.2 is a good machine.  Easy to use, maintain and look after. You could find a decent 2nd hand unit have a fresh water tank, hose reel extra hose and a van for under £10,000.  Many truckmounts run for around 1 hour on a gallon of fuel.  Oil change every 50 hours then after another 50 hours its oil & filter change.  Pump & vac oils are at about 500 hours.  The cost of servicing is very low and the amount of carpet you can clean within 1 hour once used to the system can be 70 - 120sqm.

Richie.

chores hygiene management ltd

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 02:53:13 pm »
i echo the two previous comments, i bought a hydramaster maxx 450 in a sprinter from future carpet cleaning up in york and it was great kit but when carpet work was scarce it was being used as a van. i sold mine bought a ninja and,for limited works,did the best thing but like i say all ii do is bolt on works ie after-spillages,10x10 classrooms to primary schools etc
Chores Hygiene Management Ltd
Cleaners Lincoln • Pest Control Lincoln • Window Cleaners Lincoln
T. 0800 4488 353
F. 01522 542 775
E. info@choreshygiene.com
W. www.choreshygiene.com

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 03:50:01 pm »
Sorry if I've caused any confusion Richie. My thoughts about high rise buildings were more akin to the Rotunda or Canary Wharf :-[

Safe and happy cleaning :)
The Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Doug Holloway

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 05:47:45 pm »
Hi Guys,

1. A bit difficult to answer as the price will vary but like all things the better you buy the more realaible and higher performing the equipment is.
2. After a while with a TM it's the limiations of a portable which worry you.
3.Much quicker and easier on the body.
4.Running costs are almost irrelevant as you earn money quickly.

In short if you have the work, get a TM.

Cheers

Doug

Paul Heath

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 05:54:18 pm »
Unless you are going to get a lot of contract work, then i would start of with a good portable machine, after going on a course. Build up your confindence,experience and then look at a Truckmount, if the work is out there. Truckmount is the way to go, having mine since August, it is the dogs dodah, but the van can not be used for anything else. I have both of my porty's in the garage gathering dust, but they are there just in case, not had to use them yet, due to lack of access.

colin thomas

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 06:29:12 pm »
paul, you don't need contract work to justify a truck-mount but you do have to realise that just buying a tm won't mean that  the work will flood in, you still have to get the work, but once you do get a tm you clean quicker and in my opinion, better and so you get more referrals and repeats.

colin
colin thomas

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 07:23:34 pm »
I've done a course, a Prochem course a few years ago and we have a reasonable amount of carpet cleaning work each week, mostly from our existing window cleaning or contract cleaning customers or from friends / family of the same.

It just seems to me that a truckmounted machine would be the obvious next step and I wanted advice on cost ( probably 2nd hand!! ) restrictions, etc before making my choice and parting with any cash.

Joe H

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 07:29:24 pm »
I bought my first TM 2nd hand for £2200 without a van.
I got a good one, but you need to be careful buying 2nd hand, either know what you looking for or take someone with you that does know what to look for.

nevil

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »
Truckmounts are great . Faster etc. I would not have gone down this route without a little bit of technical know how.  Failing that I reckon you have to go for a new machine so you can go back to the supplier when things go wrong, which they do from time to time on older machines.

I would say that you only need a Truck if you are cleaning a lot of carpet, so you need the extra productivity they give you. Don't go down the road of thinking you can't do a very good job using portables. That's nonsense. I don't think my cleaning has improved since getting one, but my productivity has.

It boils down to simple economics. There may come a time when you can't afford not to have one. You may have reached that point already. If not then use tools that are most suited the work load you have. Then get the truck when you can't do without it.

Len Gribble

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 08:20:27 pm »
Restrictions: parking, time off clean and accessibility other than that the bees knees 

It’s funny I’m looking into purchasing a wfp system in the near future seen this on the bay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tucker-Auqafactors-Water-Fed-Pole-Syetem_W0QQitemZ150393520557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA?hash=item23042701ad is it a good system.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 08:25:05 pm »
And that's the irony isn't it, the grass always seems greener...

However milking your Client base in other areas makes sense. It's the investment in new kit and learning new skills which is fine so long as at the end of the day it's more profitable than what you are already doing IMO.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 08:26:47 pm »
Len the system itself is okay but he's only selling the tank and pole, you'll still need to fit a pump, DI cannisters, an RO would be good and all your hoses, etc.

Hope you get what you want, just don't work in Plymouth, we have enough window cleaners down here thankyou ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 09:22:00 pm »
Thought it also came with 2 x 822 DI vessels, which are 12.5ltr. These are in good condition as they have been strapped in (see photo)  ???

Hopefully going on a training/wakeup call course next week. Oh you are safe no longer do contract cleaning. ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 11:45:59 pm »
Some good 2nd hand tm you can save thousands if you have some mechanical skill simple enough to work on and there are a lots of good guys who will give you advice if needed on the forum Richie, Mike Halliday, Dave Ingram all very clued up just to mention a few Even ME 8) 8) 8)

Cheers Tony
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

richie

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 12:37:21 am »
Cheers for the good word Tony  ;).  I have in the past had guys call me before they buy a 2nd hand truckmount and have called me whilst they are looking at it for advice on what to check.  If anyone finds one in the West Midlands area they want to look at i would gladly go along with them to have a look over it for them.  May even go further afield for a packet of wine gums  ;D.  Seriously though,  there are plenty of guys on here and on that are willing to give good solid advice regarding truckmounts.

Richie.

Paul Heath

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 10:26:09 am »
That web site won't let you register  ???

Mark Lane-Matthews

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 11:31:52 am »
I will be selling a truckmount and van in january with eberspacher heater fitted and hoses etc 
 the van Renault Traffic diesel 58000 53 reg regulary serviced
18 hp panther truckmount regulary serviced 700 hours £9750 no vat ready to go to work

I will put this in the appropiate section with details when ready with pics.

Reason for selling ,Iam getting a new set up in January.
                                              Mark