derek west

how would you clean a filthy wool cream carpet
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:43:43 pm »
just cleaned a disgusting filthy rancid, (i could go on) cream wool carpet, the customer was happy with the results but to be honest i wasn't. i'm new so i'm limited in my armoury when it comes to wool, standard prespray gold and fib fab rinse.
thinkif i was experienced i could of identified a better combo to clean and got better results.
just wondering how you experts would of gone about it.
think its time for another course.
derek

richie

Re: how would you clean a filthy wool cream carpet
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 03:15:21 pm »
Derek,

Dispite what some carpet cleaners will tell you.....

I would have cleaned the carpet with a higher ph chemical.  If the carpet was as bad as you say it was the damage to the wool would have already been done therefore, using a high ph chemical would have not hurt the carpet.  Prochem Powerburst would have been my choice.  I have been cleaning carpets for 14-15 years & i have never seen a wool carpet that i have cleaned with a high ph chemical show ANY signs of damage due to the high ph.  As long as you follow up with an acid rinse thn dont worry.

Richie.

craigp

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 04:03:23 pm »
here, here!

powerburst follwed by acid rinse.

but sounds like a skip might have been the best option! ;D

derek west

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 04:10:54 pm »
they had rats, all be it pet rats, but there was rat poop down the sides of the carpet and under the rads.
would i benefit from having a counter rotating brush agitator, dont know what there proper name is but ive seen them on the courses.
derek

kinder clean

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 05:04:02 pm »
Hi Derek

A Sebo Duo is what you refer to and yes without a doubt it would make all the difference, I wouldn't be without mine. - see 'Grubby carpet results' post on here, without the agitation on that carpet the results would have been very poor too.

Cheers Paul

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 05:46:55 pm »
Derek
The problem is that it doesn`t matter how many courses you go on they will
only tell you the correct way to clean cpts/uph, which is right.
Its only when you get a bit of experiance that you know what will or not work, or willing to take a chance, because it will bite you at some stage, are you willing to take that chance????
My only advice is to get some carpet samples and experiment, try cleaning
one half of the samples with differing ph strengths, and see what happens.
Dont forget, its different with samples than a custys carpet.

regards

Daryl

derek west

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 06:34:16 pm »
paul
so what choices have i got other than the sebo duo,
daryl.
i was thinking of a spotting course as my knowledge is limited when it comes to stains, i dont even know what a microsplitter is, doh!prochem course touched on stains but i was to busy getting to grips with all the other stuff.
there was a lot of stains in that carpet that wouldnt budge and i felt a bit inferior not having anything to try on them other than my zapit.
1 peticular stain was orange in colour and didnt even fade when i blasted it at full heat with clearwater rince and multi pro prespray. the landlady and i deduced that it could only be fake blood as she knew they had a halloween party. def not orange or tizer as this fades with heat and agitation.
derek

roger underhill

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 07:04:58 pm »
Derek,
Dont be too hard on yourself....I've been cleaning carpets for 24 years and what you must realise is that some stains will just not clean out of a wool carpet, whatever the manufacturers of stain removers promise.
My lad, working with me one day, summed it up, he said to me, "Dad, you cant polish a turd".....wise words indeed.
Family business founded in 1985

Gerry Styles

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 08:28:14 pm »
Derek

Had a similar carpet 2 weeks ago, used Power Burst to pre spray and Fibre % Fabric Rinse to extract. Too dirty for standard wand use Hydramaster RX 20. Customer well happy, will be doing her other 8 rental properties as they become vacant.
Premier Klean Limited

derek west

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 08:39:45 pm »
gerry
thinking of getting an rx20 but later on in the business plan, think the sebo duo sounds a good alternative to attack these toughies, which i must admit are rare to date, that was my first in my first 3 months, but as every job is an advert i need to get every job right. might just get away with that one today but not taking any chances in the future. sounds like some powerburst won't go amiss either. been some good advice on here so far. cheers guys.
derek

John Kelly

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 08:44:49 pm »
Don't expect miracles every time, we aren't magicians. Sometimes a carpet has gone that little bit too far that no matter what you throw at it never looks 100%.

Gerry Styles

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 08:50:23 pm »
Derek

Sounds to me like you are doing ok. RX20 is a big step. I will be at hydramaster next week, IIRC course & dirty weekend.
Premier Klean Limited

Darren O

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 09:08:03 pm »
Always use formula90 and works great on these kind of jobs if its realy bad i will use a rotary first then rinse with f90.

derek west

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 09:13:40 pm »
john
just starting to realise that, its hard to take as a newbie, i'm sure all you vets when first starting out thought like me that we could be magicians. my wife thinks i'm a magician cos i make all the  viking lager vanish from the fridge.
gerry
yeah ok but not brilliant, its early days and i'm enjoying the work and the challenge, optomistic that i can take it to brilliant, i'm ahead of schedule on my b plan . fingers crossed with the leaflets later next month. wish i was going down to hydra but i'm moving house on the 29th so got a lot to sort out,
derek

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 09:24:36 pm »
Derek
Even with lots of experiance we may not have got it any cleaner than you,
but what we may have done is pre-empt the custy and tell her that the carpet is
dirty/rancid etc etc but we will try our hardest to get it as clean as possible.
Once you have tryed your hardest, and you know you cant do any more, safely,
what have you got to worry about? the custy is usually happy to see that you have tried.

Harry potter has a magic wand.... we only have a stainless steel one ;D ;D

regards

Daryl

derek west

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 09:33:38 pm »
daryl
all ready confirmed that to the customer, presume thats why she was pleased, that and the fact that i sweated blood for 4 hours. and i qouted for 3 so lost out a little but thats the way i work. if i'd done it in 2 hours i wouldnt of charged her less, swings and roundabouts. think you vets could of done a better job cos there were some stains that possibly could of got better than me, thats why i think i need a spotting course, every little helps.
derek

Paul Davidson

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 09:54:48 pm »
daryl
all ready confirmed that to the customer, presume thats why she was pleased, that and the fact that i sweated blood for 4 hours. and i qouted for 3 so lost out a little but thats the way i work. if i'd done it in 2 hours i wouldnt of charged her less, swings and roundabouts. think you vets could of done a better job cos there were some stains that possibly could of got better than me, thats why i think i need a spotting course, every little helps.
derek

I need to get to grips with stain and spot removal too!  I am booked onto a Stain removal course early next month which is being held in Newcastle.  I'm looking forward to increasing the chances of happy customers every time. :)

cheers

Paul

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 10:06:41 pm »
Derek
I think you are right you should go on a spotting course, for your own peace of mind, if nothing else ;D
But you will have to pick which one, HD or PC or CS? what spotters do you use at the moment?
Everyone on here uses different ones, or a combination of all, I do!!
I have recently done the Chem spec (advanced) one, but didnt get a lot out of it.
Ask on this or other forums, what people think is the best course?
They will all have different views, but something is better than nothing!!!!

Regards

Daryl  

The Great One

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 10:14:46 pm »
Derek,
Dont be too hard on yourself....I've been cleaning carpets for 24 years and what you must realise is that some stains will just not clean out of a wool carpet, whatever the manufacturers of stain removers promise.
My lad, working with me one day, summed it up, he said to me, "Dad, you cant polish a turd".....wise words indeed.

Exactly what i say to my clients when cleaning student EOT's

derek west

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 10:55:45 pm »
daryl
i use zip it for medium stains and zap it if all else fails, oh and orange gel, so you can see how ltd i am when it comes to stains, may just buy an expensive spotting kit and read the booklet, might be just as good spending £200 quid on that than £200 on a course then having to buy the spotters to compliment it, what do you think?
derek