David_Annable

Why is there a different YP rep every year
« on: April 15, 2008, 03:56:06 pm »
Hi

I have never seen the same one twice & would be surprised if anyone had.

I think its so you cant pull them for the load of b**locks they told you last year.

Dave

NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Re: Why is there a different YP rep every year
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:12:11 pm »
Never knew YP was still going  ::) ;) ;D

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 04:20:01 pm »
David

They probably send the new boys and girls round to see you every year. if they survive that there's a good chance they'll make it.  ;D

markpowell

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 04:37:14 pm »
Dave its funny you say that i have had 3 reps in 3 years, i cant complain about this year tho, since Jan i have been overwhelmed with the work that has come out of it, i think it is bacause i have put my prices in.
Mark

spencer davies

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 05:11:24 pm »
Its a waste of time in my area, I think it will be extinct in a few more years because more people Google everything they need now......  ;)

Regards

S

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 06:30:36 pm »
Mark Powell, please don't take this as a personal insult but where are you on the pricing scales? Chemdry prices??

Shaun

markpowell

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 06:37:59 pm »
Shaun,
I like to think i am somewhere middle between the cheapies and chemdry.
I charge an average of £45.00 for a lounge ( 12x12), £90.00 for 3pc suite i will put my ad on here tonight.
Seems to cut out the price shoppers and timewasters.
Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 06:48:39 pm »
My YP ad is doing poo!

Shaun

Neil Grainger

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 06:55:05 pm »
Mark, what area are you in?

markpowell

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:00:58 pm »
Neil,
we are based in Halifax, West yorkshire. We cover Bradford, halifax, and i have loads of customers in wakefield from a previous life.
Mark

maxcarpets

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 07:27:21 pm »
Neil,

Whats your situation with the toe rags! ( YP that is )

Justin

Ian Rochester

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 07:45:05 pm »
Got to agree, never had the same rep twice.

But my YP ad gets me quite a bit of work, a lot more than it costs me.

John Kelly

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 08:01:42 pm »
Ian, thats because all the shepherds and sheep rustlers up your neck of the woods have no leccy to run a computer so have to let their fingers do the walking.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 08:14:49 pm »
Justin, still ongoing with them, they keep threatening court through their recovery agents Tenon but its a ongoing game.

I have found out that the MD of Yell is a old Wellingtonion and because my wife works as HR Director at the college we are going to cross paths at a Dinner very soon and I will try and talk to him about it.

Welly is very much an old boys network and I should be able to sort this with him. Its a bit like the Masons.

Stupid thing is even though this is going on they are still trying to get me back as a customer, I get a call at least once a weeks from a female rep.

spindle

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 08:17:20 pm »
had a rep on the phone...............then she inisted on calling me back every other day to see if i had made up my mind..............stopped answering the phone.wouldnt take no as an answer...................

she left agressive voicemail........but didnt make any difference....still not placing an ad ;D ;D
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 08:27:46 pm »
I know they are not people's favourite but these guys have it pretty rough.

I suspect the turnover rate is in 80-90% bracket and they have a try 'em and see if they swim mentality to recruitment. Putting up with some hairy arsed carpet cleaner swearing at you all day long making 60+ calls a day would do most people in.

And remember even if the guy is quite with it and knows what you are saying, he's got his sales manager breathing down his neck wanting numbers to make him look good and keep his job.

So basically they either get binned or promoted. You are lucky to get any consistency.  

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 08:32:33 pm »
I think Pete Sweeney (who used to be a rep for YP) says it's £38k a year and may be a car, but for that you need to show results.

My YP ad is either getting reduced or going next year, I used to have 1/2 a page but now I have double quarter column (£2400) and that's not pulling up ant trees.

Shaun

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 08:43:40 pm »
I do work for an ex yp rep and she said that they don't do deals, I ask every year and get the old bit about that the prices have actually gone down because it has been price capped.

I think my wallet may be next year, but the websites don't pull enough in to replace it so am looking at other mediums.

Shaun

stevegunn

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 08:48:28 pm »
Rang  me this morning offered me sponsored listing last month yell.com had 326 hits for carpet cleaning in Newcastle according to the rep this morning.Very poor if that is the case

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 08:54:33 pm »
I was speaking to Pete about the sponsored listing it's about £3000 in my area, that's the one at the top left/middle but the one to the right isn't worth having as it gets little response.

Shaun