francis

Re: What to wear
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2007, 09:22:34 pm »
Interesting post Dave.

If like myself you run your business purely on a known customer base and recommendations from these, then yes, you can appear as eccentric as you choose. Your clients are solely buying your skills or recommended skills & will put up with what you appear as.

However, it would be unwise to advise forum members who rely on business coming from leaflets, yellow pages and other cold marketing to see this as a generally acceptable way to dress

Liahona

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2007, 09:55:57 pm »
Francis, I wouldnt and dont think have suggested to anyone how they should attire.  Just made a comment on how I do things.  Each to their own in how they want to do things.  I think we all need to be different and wearing any sort of uniform is not being different.  Of course this is just an opinion.

I wouldnt suggest for anyone to do as I do as there isnt too much I do that is similar to anyone else.  Having said that I do manage to do quite well out of this cleaning lark so maybe I should suggest a few things, nah, no one would listen!!

I take your point and your comments but my client base is a not known base and indeed I go to find who I want to work for as opposed for them finding me.  To these people,  I turn up to how I have posted above before.

As a percentage I dont think I get 1% of client referals from the "user end"

Best, Dave.

elliott cleaning

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 10:14:42 pm »
Dave. What do you read into the fact that you get less than 1% of your business from your end users referrals
regards

Liahona

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2007, 11:44:02 pm »
Pretty much as it says.  I get very few maybe one in a hundred end user clients who refer me to someone else.

What I mean by the end user is the person whos item I have cleaned.

I dont like using percentages as a comment as it would suggest that I have at least a hundred clients to refer too.

I hasten to add I dont have anywhere near 100 clients in two years let alone one year.  I used the 1% more as an example as opposed to an actual fact.

Sorry if it was a bit misleading and hope this makes sense now.

I dont know a lot of my clients who I actually clean for and of course they dont know me from Adam either.

So my 1% comment is related to those who I meet face to face.

Best, Dave.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2007, 08:14:39 am »
When I met Dave  I was not supprised about his Manor of dress, and he actually looked like he was there to clean carpets, and was an international expert. Obviously his van and equipment helped, but it was also the unique personality an aura that is Dave.

For most of us the conventional route is the way.

I used the favor the shirt and tie and still do on occasions but most times when cleaning its the cotton trader sweat shirt black trousers and trainers for house use which I put on when I have unloaded.

I have found black shoes can leave marks when cleaning edges with hand tool