neil 47

Why is it
« on: October 29, 2011, 11:36:29 am »
Why is it . we spend loads on advertising ,put out thousands of leaflets, yet only receive a low percentage of jobs per £ spent .

"
YET EVERYONE YOU MEET SOCIALLY  "OH YES I'M A CARPET CLEANER"   "REALLY   OH MY RUG DOING", THEIR SOFA DONE ,THEIR CARPET ,DONE AND OH MY NEIGHBOUR WANTS THEIR'S DOING AND HER SISTER, UNCLE, SISTER-INLAW ETC

THEY DO MY HEAD IN !!!!!!!!!!!!

I should be a millionaire

Neil
IICRC

robert meldrum

Re: Why is it
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:58:51 am »
I've spent ZERO on advertising for at least the past 8 years, never have cards with me, or put out leaflets. But I find people go out of their way to find me.

No, it's not because of rock bottom prices and it's not because I have a huge noisy beast of a machine, or claims of instant drying, or eco friendly chemicals.

Must be ME.

neil 47

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 12:11:50 pm »
I've spent ZERO on advertising for at least the past 8 years, never have cards with me, or put out leaflets. But I find people go out of their way to find me.

No, it's not because of rock bottom prices and it's not because I have a huge noisy beast of a machine, or claims of instant drying, or eco friendly chemicals.

Must be ME.

well is not because your modest or your  scintillating personality is it
IICRC

wynne jones

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 12:23:28 pm »

Must be ME.

well is not because your modest or your  scintillating personality is it

;D

This just proves how important the trust issue is  and can overcome apathy. You are going into someones home, that's a biggy.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

robert meldrum

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 12:34:16 pm »
Actually..............it might be that.

But seriously..............My clients DO buy ME.  They TRUST me as I always turn up on time and never give false expectations and always give what they perceive to be VALUE.

In many cases it's nothing to do with PRICE and certainly nothing to do with BIG MACHINE / BIG PERFORMANCE CLAIMS or anything that could be regarded as bull***ting.

I chat to people and have a very casual approach, never rushing, never giving the impression I'm desperate to get away and in many cases do a little more than expected.

Well spotted Wynne ..but it takes a particular mind set.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 12:55:40 pm »

Must be ME.

Yes Robert, I was the same for about 14 years, never spent a penny on advertising, just relying on repeat business and referrals.
Then I went on a marketing course and did do a limited amount of advertising, within 18 months my turnover doubled!
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

robert meldrum

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 01:09:37 pm »
Dave

I did all the marketing 30 years ago and followed all the principles with success..............just pointing out that a lot of people are missing out what could be a very important element in the marketing mix..............PERSONALITY and I don't mean, all smiling Mr Charming, sacharine sweetness.

As Dave L pointed out............He charges high prices for his work, but is likely to turn up in an unmarked van wearing shorts and unshaved, but he delivers where it matters.

wynne jones

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 01:15:56 pm »
Dave

I did all the marketing 30 years ago and followed all the principles with success..............just pointing out that a lot of people are missing out what could be a very important element in the marketing mix..............PERSONALITY and I don't mean, all smiling Mr Charming, sacharine sweetness.

As Dave L pointed out............He charges high prices for his work, but is likely to turn up in an unmarked van wearing shorts and unshaved, but he delivers where it matters.

Dave Lehoona or anyone else can turn up in shorts because the trust has already been established, through others. Us mere mortals may have to gain it on the doorstep and if you turn up looking like a tramp you have already given yourself an uphill struggle.

robert meldrum

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 01:53:38 pm »
Thing is Wynne

You can be unshaven and not wearing a " uniform" and still give confidence to your client  as soon as you start talking to them.

Doug says " talk is cheap " which is very true ( whichever way you take it ) and by having the ability to talk to people at all levels of society is a massive bonus, particularly when you are talking about them and what you can do for them.

If you turn up in a really smart van and wearing smart clothing but have an arrogance about you won't win over the client ................you only have a couple of seconds to " sell yourself "

Fortunately I don't talk as I type  ::) ::)

wynne jones

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:03:27 pm »
Neil

Those who say they need something doing, what percentage actually follow through?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 02:28:18 pm »
If you think there are that many people who need carpets doing why not spend a days when quiet  walking the streets and talking? No need for pushey tactics.

Have not spoken to Dave L for years but felt he got a lot of his work through Church and having the BALLS  and confidence to approach top Interior designers who perhaps liked his nobly knees.

Is he in good health now ? 

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 04:08:25 pm »
After 20+ years I still advertise not much but I require some advertising to fill in the spaces and keep my name out there some people will lose my number and look for it where they originally found it.

Shaun

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 05:05:38 pm »
Ditto Shaun,

All you can do is keep your foot on the gas.
I am not clever enough to focus to much on what others are doing, just need to focus on what i am doing ;)
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

markpowell

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 05:09:33 pm »
Customers move out of the area, pass away, loose your details etc, so simply relying on old customers to expand your business isnt going to work.
Neil If you are marketing right then you should be getting a return of some kind, if not you need to find out why.
Mark

wynne jones

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 05:22:36 pm »
If you are at a party give them 20 coupons with 50% off if you get enough people going for it.

No scrub that, no one will fall for that idea. ;D

Billy Russell

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 05:40:37 pm »
If you think there are that many people who need carpets doing why not spend a days when quiet  walking the streets and talking? No need for pushey tactics.

Have not spoken to Dave L for years but felt he got a lot of his work through Church and having the BALLS  and confidence to approach top Interior designers who perhaps liked his nobly knees.

Is he in good health now ? 

He's doing well, he was at my unit a few weeks back! I like talking to Dave L, really good guy! i've got a lot of time for him!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 06:46:26 pm »
I agree Billy, just tell him to wear long trousers!

Shaun