robert meldrum

Re: "Why did you choose us?"
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 04:03:42 pm »
garry

I agree about making money from the internet which I'd love to be doing Just feel your post about dealing with prospects along the lines you posted is nuts, but you're welcome to prove me wrong.

wynne jones

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 04:10:28 pm »
Apologies for hijacking the thread for a second but the asking for extras was the least of it Wynne.

It was just a total lack of respect shown towards me.  If I can be bothered to turn up on time, showered and shaved, in a clean van, in uniform with the requisite kit then I believe I deserve to be treated with at least a little respect.  Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive in that respect.

Chris

I'm intrigued now Chris, tell us more, were they Wayne and Waynetta  ;D

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

garry22

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 04:41:57 pm »
Just feel your post about dealing with prospects along the lines you posted is nuts, but you're welcome to prove me wrong.

This is also about protecting yourself. I took a website design course recently.

The membership forums are full of talented designers who are scraping a living whilst being treated like dirt by clients. A lot of that is due to not setting the ground rules.

As members we get many projects offered to us. This is a typical brief from a client who thinks he can walk all over a designer (names removed)...

"...I am looking for a design that is a clean simple UI to start - sites like xxxxxxxxxx.com, yyyyyyyyy.com and zzzzzzzzz.com are examples

The landing page is crucial as I will be trying to get as many subs as possible while the full site is built - it will be integrating a lot of gamification and other user engagement tools.

What I envision now will likely change weekly, even daily.

Your help would be much appreciated.

I'm looking for someone who is excited about the job vs. Arrogant - amazed at how arrogant some can be.  "

By arrogant, I presume he means people like me who would tell him where to shove his constantly changing brief. Some poor sod is going to work all hours and then have to scrap all that work and start again - many times. I'm not putting up with that from people like him or carpet cleaning prospects who want to mess me about.

robert meldrum

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »
Weeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllll

Good luck with your life Garry. It's a luxury to be able to pick and choose who you work for and a few may qualify as they can and do deliver considerably more in terms of value to their clients..

How we perceive value differs from individual to individual. In my case doing more, or spending more time, or taking someone to a higher level of expertise is how I've given value and it's worked for me, but we all have our ideas as to how we should deal with clients.

Only history will tell who got it right.

wynne jones

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 05:15:27 pm »
Just feel your post about dealing with prospects along the lines you posted is nuts, but you're welcome to prove me wrong.

This is also about protecting yourself. I took a website design course recently.

The membership forums are full of talented designers who are scraping a living whilst being treated like dirt by clients. A lot of that is due to not setting the ground rules.

As members we get many projects offered to us. This is a typical brief from a client who thinks he can walk all over a designer (names removed)...

"...I am looking for a design that is a clean simple UI to start - sites like xxxxxxxxxx.com, yyyyyyyyy.com and zzzzzzzzz.com are examples

The landing page is crucial as I will be trying to get as many subs as possible while the full site is built - it will be integrating a lot of gamification and other user engagement tools.

What I envision now will likely change weekly, even daily.

Your help would be much appreciated.

I'm looking for someone who is excited about the job vs. Arrogant - amazed at how arrogant some can be.  "

By arrogant, I presume he means people like me who would tell him where to shove his constantly changing brief. Some poor sod is going to work all hours and then have to scrap all that work and start again - many times. I'm not putting up with that from people like him or carpet cleaning prospects who want to mess me about.

Now you know how GPs feel when we've googled our symptoms the night before our appointment's.  ;D

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.