Simon Gerrard

Why Is It?
« on: April 11, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »
Why is it that the vast majority of people and businesses in this country never think to have their carpets cleaned?
I think that we can only guess at what the answers might be because it would take some market research to find out the answers.
Any ideas?

Simon

Adam P

Re: Why Is It?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 05:32:25 pm »
doesn't even cross people's minds is my best guess. before cleaning i never even heard of it and would never have considered it something i'd need doing, and this is the same for all family and friends.

next reason i'd say is the ones that do want to clean their carpets feel a vax/rug doctor will do a good enough job. i've mentioned many times on here about how you guys will think a cheap web site is good as it gets result (and this is for your business so a lot more important), but then want customers to use a professional carpet cleaner rather then the cheap alternative, and then i speak to web site designers and they will think a cheap vax is good as it gets results (but this is only for their home so not something they'd be as worried about), but then want customers to use a professional website designer.

it's quite funny to see

markpowell

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »
I have converted loads of people over the years who believe that once they have had there carpets cleaned the first time they always re soil within days, weeks and its a total waste of money. I think it is about us cleaners educating potential customers.
Mark

derek west

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:59:03 pm »
it would be so easy to find out these things, ive got ideas coming out of every orifice that would not only answer your question but would generate £1000's upon £1000's of pounds worth of work for each and everyone of us, unfortunately, we're all independant head in the sand carpet cleaners who can't see the bigger picture of what we could do if we all united.

shame really but hey ho, i'm doin all right with me head in the sand and i presume thats the same thoughts as everyone else.

wynne jones

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 07:10:25 pm »
Times have changed.

People want a Range Rover Sport on the never never and designer clothes at sweat shop prices. Carpet Cleaners are going the way of the dinosaurs, although some dinosaurs did survive by adapting rather than moaning they can't hold the waves back.

Find out what they want and give it to them, there's no money in telling people they are wrong. 
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Paul Heath

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:40 pm »
Funny thing derek i have been thinking the same.....the Flood course was a good networking chance....if we could get it all together we could take on the franchises etc.....trouble is it needs cooperation from everyone on board, plus a few have tried but as you say we are all independant.

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:24:09 pm »
You know that in order to achieve the things that you want in life, you have to leave your comfort zone. Everything you desire is out of your comfort zone.
If it wasn’t, you would already have it. Never forget that.

All the offices I used to see that never had there carpets cleaned...NOW DO

my old man used to say If you dont ask you dont get!!!!
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

Matt Lindus

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:41:44 pm »
Follow the Yanks, whatever they are doing its sure to spread to this country, it always does. carpet cleaning is still a new concept to the UK, but things will change over the years, if not the yanks will ultimately force change on us.

The younger generation of Female (18-40) in this country are very much influenced by what Americans are doing. Coffee got the push it needed through American sitcoms and our celebrities copying the yanks, so media influenced in this case. Now Starbucks is the place to be or be seen.

4x4's were popular for the rich and famous in the states well before they were seen on our roads. The only people in the UK to have 4x4's were ruddy faced farmers.
Celebrities who occasionally live outside the uk recognized this hugh trend in states and decided to embraced it and continue the trend in the Uk. Just as soon as our female uk population saw their idols in glossy magazines driving these strange large shiny vehicles, they decided they wanted a follow on. Hence the amount of young females in 4x4s now.

Carpet Cleaning in this county will get its big break just as soon as a few well know celebrities are published in glossy magazines having there carpets cleaned.

Matt

Matt Lindus

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 12:03:22 am »
You know that in order to achieve the things that you want in life, you have to leave your comfort zone. Everything you desire is out of your comfort zone.
If it wasn’t, you would already have it. Never forget that.

All the offices I used to see that never had there carpets cleaned...NOW DO

my old man used to say If you dont ask you dont get!!!!

You are 100% bang on. But I will add, is it easier for the rock climber to bungee jump or the guy who is scared of heights?
Some people operate well outside the comfort zone, others go into melt down every time. Its nature’s way of creating balance - Controllers in life and workers in life.

Matt

jasonl

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 08:46:52 am »
Unfortunately the biggest celebrities known to have had thier carpets cleaned were the very wierd John Travolta /Kelly preston , Just google Kelly preston /Kawasaki syndrome.

Branding as a joint force is what is needed , then each stakeholder puts in relatively little, but then as most of us on here do not wish to be part of a franchise , it will never happen, there is too much fear of loss.

To answer the original question , I think it is because there is no real cumpulsion to have carpets cleaned, if it were required by health and safety or as part of contractual terms via a landlord ,then there would be a far bigger market, again that is unlikely.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 08:56:11 am »
Actually I have all the housing associastions, landlords and letting agents that I work for put carpet cleaning into their contracts took a few years but all have now addopted it. The idea was to save deposits for any other problems, now carpet cleaning is seen to be done as a matter of course, unless it's clean. True the tennant may not always call me but mostly they do.

garyj

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 06:45:31 pm »
There is a lot of things we COULD do if we banded together but as Jason said, it will never happen.