Jay Le Huray

getting old
« on: June 23, 2019, 09:21:48 am »
last month I turned 66,  when I reached retirement last year I decided to sell half of my business and just work part time i.e 50%

In the space of 1 year I have gained more work and I'm now doing about 70% of what I used to do rather than the planed 50%

My wife who is almost 62 works alongside me and it's fair to say we are both beginning to feel it now, everyday it seems to get harder as the bones begin to ache and age takes over.

We plan to work until she gets to pension age which has now been increased to the age of 67 (very unfair) so maybe another 5 years by which time I will be 71,

my question is does anyone know of any other cleaners working to that ripe old age ? oh and BTW we are WFP and no ladders

zesty

Re: getting old
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 09:23:52 am »
Definitely think about what equipment you are using, are you making sure to use the very lightest pole and brush?

Also an electric hose reel will help a lot.

Fair play to you for carrying on!

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:29:58 am »
Definitely think about what equipment you are using, are you making sure to use the very lightest pole and brush?

Also an electric hose reel will help a lot.

Fair play to you for carrying on!

good point about the electric reel, this is something we have been thinking about, as for the poles and brushes, we do keep them light as possible (no more sill brushes)

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 09:41:32 am »
Learn to say "No" as well.
Do you need the extra new work your taking on?  If not, then stop doing so and make it more manageable and perhaps cut your working hours per day a little if you can and take the rest.

What poles do you use?

Respect to you both as well.  I know in theory I wouldn't want to be working into my 70's (I'm 41) but the reality is, I hate doing nothing and so the chances are I will be working in some capacity
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 09:42:08 am »
last month I turned 66,  when I reached retirement last year I decided to sell half of my business and just work part time i.e 50%

In the space of 1 year I have gained more work and I'm now doing about 70% of what I used to do rather than the planed 50%

My wife who is almost 62 works alongside me and it's fair to say we are both beginning to feel it now, everyday it seems to get harder as the bones begin to ache and age takes over.

We plan to work until she gets to pension age which has now been increased to the age of 67 (very unfair) so maybe another 5 years by which time I will be 71,

my question is does anyone know of any other cleaners working to that ripe old age ? oh and BTW we are WFP and no ladders

Isn't it fun how easy it is to pick up work you don't want when some new cleaners struggle?

The other down side to working and claiming a pension is that your tax liability increases. They giveth with one hand and taketh with the other.

I get a small pension now but as we (wife and myself) haven't been paying into the system full term, its limited. I'm grateful for the additional 'help' as I'm probably doing about a 1/3rd of what I did 10 years ago. But its not enough to live off of and I'm not complaining.

So for me its "retire when I expire."  ;D

I've had my old faithful 04 plate Citroen Relay fail MOT due to rust. I have had to buy another van which isn't something I wanted to do. Somehow, when you get on a bit you don't feel 'happy' making long term purchases when you know the best of your life is behind you.

One of our customers retired from plastering a few years back and still did a couple of jobs to pay for holidays. We had a chat last week and he said that there were no more holidays as he has had to stop plastering altogether. Spruce, you and I are both on the final stretch and the finishing line is not far away. My reply was that he was dead right. ;D

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 10:00:25 am »
Do you need the extra new work your taking on?  If not, then stop doing so and make it more manageable and perhaps cut your working hours per day a little if you can and take the rest.

What poles do you use?

Respect to you both as well.  I know in theory I wouldn't want to be working into my 70's (I'm 41) but the reality is, I hate doing nothing and so the chances are I will be working in some capacity

;D
Thanks Nathan. Unfortunately we as older ones need to keep moving. I find that if I stop to rest for too long I can't get going again.  ;D ;D The 'battery' goes flat.

So I try to incorporate a rest break with talking to customers.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 10:10:40 am »

What poles do you use?

we use gardeners poles, and yes I find it difficult staying at home watching daytime tv (total rubbish) I always have to find something to do

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 10:24:29 am »
Well done buddy.  There are so many youngsters out there these days that can't do a days graft without a moan or craving for there bed.     They should take a leaf out of your book, so don't ever look down on yourself.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Klean07

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 10:28:36 am »
I'm 61 this year but last year when I was 60 I decided that I wanted to ease my work down and eventually retire so last month I took someone on. Its been a struggle especially with the wet weather last week but we're getting there thankfully!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

KS Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 10:58:16 am »
Why don’t you just keep building the round up, if you don’t want to do any more work per week you could let your schedule slip from 4 weekly to 5 weekly, then when you feel you are overloaded with work sell the surplus work on and put the proceeds into the pension pot, then you can go back to your 4 weekly schedule...and repeat.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 01:00:50 pm »

I'm already semi retired at 47....

I do know of 2 WCs both in their 70s(trad too!)who are still working.they both look great for their age....they both go on holiday a lot though (4 or 5 times a year).....but still keep small rounds going.....

If your really feeling it cant you just pack it in now?none of us know how we re gonna feel when we get to your age......

You should have electric reels,hot water,xtreme poles and brushes as standard kit IMO......also no work above 25ft and no add on work to minimize strain.....

price higher/work harder!

tlwcs

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 01:03:11 pm »
I’m working towards the twat pension, working Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday.
But like others have said, learn to say no.
Good luck

Johnny B

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 01:07:50 pm »
Very interesting topic.

I'm 57, and already know that I will never retire.

I have a good number of shop fronts that form the cornerstone of my run. As I get older I intend to keep these and add some more as and when they come along. I will then let go of most of my residential work, keeping just enough to keep me going for 2 or 3 days a week.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

zesty

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 01:08:32 pm »
Invest in gardiner xtreme poles, they will help with fatigue massively at your age 👍🏼

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 02:48:19 pm »
My dad is 68 and he can keep up with me however he wants this to be his last year on the glass. Can’t fault him. 

Dry Clean

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 03:08:55 pm »
There are no pockets in a shroud, its easy to forget this.

Shrek

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 03:26:28 pm »
35 this year  ;D

James Styles

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 03:51:05 pm »
I will be 33 this year and I was wondering am I a bit old to start up lol fair play to you all who are still grafting past 60 massive respect 👍

Johnny B

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 05:38:16 pm »
I will be 33 this year and I was wondering am I a bit old to start up lol fair play to you all who are still grafting past 60 massive respect 👍

I started up in 1997 aged 35, and again when I relocated to Ireland 8 years ago aged 49.

You're just a young lad James! 😂

John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

jk999

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 06:31:55 pm »
My dads 79 and still cleaning trad