Steve H

Water
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »
Hi Guys,
My water starts around 270 ppm then once through the RO goes to about 12 finally to 0 when its gone through the resin.
My question is this, when the resin has been used for a bit, it will end up showing say 2 or 3ppm on the TDS meter. At what point would you replace the resin? straight away or would the water generally be okay around this level.
Im sure a previous post has mentioned that you can get away with this rather than always having to be at zero.

Just asking fellas.

Thanks in advance

Steve
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

Clever Forum Name

Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »
Used up to 12/15 and it's been fine.

Invest in twin DI tho.

ben M

Re: Water New
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 10:26:27 pm »
until 10ppm, no prob!
mine is 5ppm after RO so i don't use DI at the moment.

dave0123

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 12:05:02 am »
mines 8ppm at the moment i am seriously considering bypassing the resin for the time being too.
Dave.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:48:03 am »
We get ours down from around 350 to 8 we don't use resin when it's this low
I set the TDS limit to 15 before using resin and the same for resin change 15 is the max I run to

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dannymack

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 05:39:18 pm »
Why is it my Tds hand reader reads a different reading from my Inline reader
Bloody Annoying !!!

Steve H

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 11:12:13 pm »
Thanks fellas,
My RO gets it down to about 12 without resin, so not far off I suppose.
However, to be safe at moment im using resin to knock it down to zero, although after a bit it does start to come out at around 4 or 5 and so from what you guys are saying this should be okay! Will change the resin when it gets to about 8 or 10 and see how it goes from there I think.
Thanks again
Steve
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:42:17 am »
Do you use 2 di vessels?  If not invest in a second when the resin in first bottle reaches 8 put the second bottle in line (water flow is RO di1 then di2) this will allow more use of resin as di1 will still take some TDS out of the water then when di2 reaches 8 you move that into di1's position empty the old di1 and refill and place into di2's position
From then on you will double di the water make more use of the resin and therefore spend less on it

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:28:43 am »
Thanks fellas,
My RO gets it down to about 12 without resin, so not far off I suppose.
However, to be safe at moment im using resin to knock it down to zero, although after a bit it does start to come out at around 4 or 5 and so from what you guys are saying this should be okay! Will change the resin when it gets to about 8 or 10 and see how it goes from there I think.
Thanks again
Steve

Being on the North East coast, we get a lot of salt sea spray on the windows. Whilst some may find that a higher tds is fine to clean with inland, others, like ourselves, need to be far more careful with our maximum tds levels.

I would be panicking if ours went to 4 tbh. Being new using wfp, I would suggest you try to keep it as close to zero as possible for the time being. You still have to go through a 'trust' period with your customers. Once they see your job is fine over a period of time, then you can start experimenting.

We have found over the years using a small 10" resin housing that came with the r/o that once the resin is spent the tds rises very quickly. It is easy to contaminate a whole ibc tank of water if you aren't careful.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Steve H

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 08:00:13 pm »
Thanks Smudger/Spruce for last 2 comments, some good advice there.

I will look at 2 DI bottles as mentioned as you can control the levels better by the sounds and get best use of the resin. I will also look to keep the levels down as mentioned as I agree you can get caught out and my customers in fairness are still getting used to me with the new system.

Thanks guys

Steve

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 09:10:18 am »
Thanks Smudger/Spruce for last 2 comments, some good advice there.

I will look at 2 DI bottles as mentioned as you can control the levels better by the sounds and get best use of the resin. I will also look to keep the levels down as mentioned as I agree you can get caught out and my customers in fairness are still getting used to me with the new system.

Thanks guys

Steve

I think the people who use twin di vessels are usually those who are using resin only to purify their tap water. Most RoMan type r/os don't produce water very quickly so impo a single di vessel would suffice.

We use a single 6 x 18" vessel (6.5 litre) which does us fine. A gentle little shake every so often will settle the resin down and stop water pathways from developing. (I have our 4040 in a home made cabinet and the di vessel is fixed in. I noticed the tds starting to rise about 6 months ago. This little shake has been enough to keep the tds out at zero since then.) 
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)