Johnny B

Re: First Cleans Too Long
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 02:25:07 pm »
I am trad, so the method used here doesn't apply, but the mental approach may.

I always take as long as I need to ensure as near perfect a finish as I can achieve. If that means I take an hour and 20 minutes, or double that on a small property, it makes no difference to me. My reasons are that I see the time I spend on a first clean is an investment in the customer. I see every new job as a one off unless the customer requests a regular clean, so I may or may not get the job on a regular basis, but whether I do or not, I often pick up work through recommendations or walkups because of my attitude towards my job and the value for money I offer.

I'm not being boastful at all because I don't see myself as better than anyone. It's simply my modus operandi and with my 21 years in this game, it has served me very well.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

zesty

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 02:38:09 pm »
i never ever mention there could be runs and spots or the windows will take a few cleans to be really clean.......if i was paying double for clean windows thats what id want.....

Absolutely if they are paying double then you can take double the time and they need to be perfect.

If they are not then I'm not taking twice as long.

I'm just sat having my dinner, off to go do 3 first cleans now, will see how long they take...

You see that’s where I’m different, I don’t take twice as long,  but then again, If I was still building a round I would.

My main reason for saying ‘they’ll get cleaner and cleaner as we go forward’ is simply to cover any imperfections should they be there. First cleans are sometimes minging, so its a way to manage the expectations of the customer.

Now there rarely ever is an issue, but it puts that thought in the customers mind just in case  ;)

The good thing about our ‘trade’ is we can all do things differently, we all think our own way is the best, hence why we do it. As long as we’re happy and it works, happy dappys

nathankaye

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 02:39:48 pm »
This is what most are saying, but just adding the fact that they make sure they charge accordingly for their time and effort which also makes the customer more respectful of the worker. If the worker doesn't take pride in what they are doing, then they can't expect the customer to take pride in the worker and for them to think they work all year round and run a professional business.

However on a different note, what might take one person over the hour to do a "near perfect" job in their eyes. May take another worker much less time due to different tools, chemicals / tricks of the trade etc to do the same "near perfect" job as the first chap.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 03:16:43 pm »
First cleans don't take me all that much longer than regular...saying that though I don't get many minging 1st cleans for some reason ???

zesty

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 03:38:23 pm »
First cleans don't take me all that much longer than regular...saying that though I don't get many minging 1st cleans for some reason ???
Same, takes me maybe 5-10  mins longer

Stoots

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 03:40:46 pm »
i never ever mention there could be runs and spots or the windows will take a few cleans to be really clean.......if i was paying double for clean windows thats what id want.....

Absolutely if they are paying double then you can take double the time and they need to be perfect.

If they are not then I'm not taking twice as long.

I'm just sat having my dinner, off to go do 3 first cleans now, will see how long they take...

You see that’s where I’m different, I don’t take twice as long,  but then again, If I was still building a round I would.

My main reason for saying ‘they’ll get cleaner and cleaner as we go forward’ is simply to cover any imperfections should they be there. First cleans are sometimes minging, so its a way to manage the expectations of the customer.

Now there rarely ever is an issue, but it puts that thought in the customers mind just in case  ;)

The good thing about our ‘trade’ is we can all do things differently, we all think our own way is the best, hence why we do it. As long as we’re happy and it works, happy dappys

Absolutely if i was in the early days of building I would take twice as long and have done many a times worked for very little in a day in order to do a fantastic job sacrificing for the long term.

Just now I'm busy I work a lot faster, I don't rinse as much and generally I clean more slap dash - not that I am slap dash I don't get any complaints it's just that I think in the past I've been ocd trying to do a 100% bang up job when in reality a 95% job is twice as fast and more than acceptable to the vast majority of customers.

But everyone's idea of a good job will be different anyway l. My 95%er could be your 100%er . Who knows

Perfect Windows

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 05:49:07 pm »
I used to spend ages.

Doing all windows then waiting for frames/vents to dry or drying the with a cloth then going over glass etc.

If they are paying double then all this fine but the way I do it now doesn't take much longer than a first clean, I just tell them they might gets some runs on first clean, clean and scrub top frame well then clean rest of window as normal then onto next window.

I've started to give less of a poop in general and am now working much faster, I have been guilty of going overboard and ocd in the past when really most of the time its overkill for a ten quid house.

I've got 5 first cleans tomorrow along with about 25 other jobs on my own so I better get my skates on.
The image of runs on a customers windows, especially new ones is painful to me.

So it should.  Anyone who told me my windows wouldn't be clean the first time wouldn't be doing my windows.

Vin

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 06:03:18 pm »
I charge double on first cleans,

and I always say after ‘they will get cleaner and cleaner as we go forward’

I say this to cover any little runs or marks that may be left. I’m far too impatient to be there for an hour!

I’ve never had a problem with this way of dealing with first cleans.

I think it depends how fussy you are yourself...

"they will get cleaner and cleaner going forward"......you really say this to a new customer that your charging twice the price for? ::)roll ;D

i would never ever say this to a customer...

put it this way if you said it to me after we agreed a price for cleaning my windows id sack you before you even started! :D :D
price higher/work harder!

Don Kee

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 06:25:48 pm »
My advice...stop cleaning domestics on a Sunday and worrying you may have a first clean or two to do on a Monday.
Give yourself a break mate and spend some time with mrs (and kids if you have them) as otherwise you’ll drive yourself insane and burnout.

John Mart

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 06:45:12 pm »
If I charged double on the first clean I’d make sure they were perfect, if not I do my best, second pass them all and warn there may be a bit of spotting after the first clean. If it’s excessive call me. I really can’t see the problem with that. Some weeks we’ve 40-50 to get through and there’s no luxury of taking an 45 minutes to an hour to do an £18 house.

zesty

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 09:01:37 am »
I love this forum  ::)roll

It works for me, and because it works, I won’t stop doing it.

I think the key here (which I’ve repeated many times now) is in saying ‘they’ll get cleaner and cleaner as we go forward) doesn’t mean they won’t be clean.

It’s a safeguard ‘just in case’.  Rarely do I get a phone call saying ‘they didn’t come up well’ but I say it just on the off chance.

nathankaye

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 09:13:16 am »
But I don't understand personally as to why phrase it like that.
Why would they get cleaner going forward. Its such a strange statement. You've probably got away with saying it as customers perhaps just skip overhearing it, but because we are reading it, it stands out like a sore thumb.
I simply tell them that on rare occasions, with it being a deeper clean that the seals may trap in some dirty water which might leak out later, once I've gone. Call me within 24hrs if it does and I will rectify it.
I also have had no call backs, but its an explanation which is understandable to the customer and makes sense.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

alank

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 12:40:23 pm »
I never ever say anything negative about the first clean ie may have spotting or other issues . On completion if the customer is present im  more likely to say "they have come up well what a difference a good clean makes" or something along those lines don't plant the seed and they won't go looking for every tiny spot or spec ;D  ;D

zesty

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 12:59:49 pm »
Why would they get cleaner going forward. Its such a strange statement. You've probably got away with saying it as customers perhaps just skip overhearing it, but because we are reading it, it stands out like a sore thumb.
I simply tell them that on rare occasions, with it being a deeper clean that the seals may trap in some dirty water which might leak out later, once I've gone. Call me within 24hrs if it does and I will rectify it.
I also have had no call backs, but its an explanation which is understandable to the customer and makes sense.

It’s a passing comment as I leave, customers don’t take any real notice of it, I’m sure they’d ring if they weren’t happy.

To be honest the frames usually do get cleaner and cleaner as I go forward, I never ever bother getting every little mark of the whites. That seems to happen over time.

But as I’ve said, I rarely get a complaint, it’s just a way of covering any call backs till I’m next there, so if there is a mark or two, the customer will have already been told that’s a possibility, so they don’t ring me. They know that it may not come up perfect. Also remember, we’re talking about first cleans here, not regulars. This is purely something I say to customers when doing a filthy first clean.

Do you understand now Nathan? Or would you like me to do an amateur  video on YouTube explaining it along with a homemade trolley or the like?  ;D

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 01:06:24 pm »
First clean ( if its needed )I use a flocked brush with fan jets full blast and flash. Lumark jets are really quite powerful. I work quick to blast cobwebs and dirt off frames and  glass. By the time I've gone back to van and changed brush I'm ready to start where I began on just the glass. I find this takes me maybe 25 % longer than a regular clean.

nathankaye

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2018, 01:26:30 pm »

It’s a passing comment as I leave, customers don’t take any real notice of it, I’m sure they’d ring if they weren’t happy.

To be honest the frames usually do get cleaner and cleaner as I go forward, I never ever bother getting every little mark of the whites. That seems to happen over time.

But as I’ve said, I rarely get a complaint, it’s just a way of covering any call backs till I’m next there, so if there is a mark or two, the customer will have already been told that’s a possibility, so they don’t ring me. They know that it may not come up perfect. Also remember, we’re talking about first cleans here, not regulars. This is purely something I say to customers when doing a filthy first clean.

Do you understand now Nathan? Or would you like me to do an amateur  video on YouTube explaining it along with a homemade trolley or the like?  ;D

If your brave enough to do a video mate, that would be great. Even better if you have the spare time and non family commitments to make it more of a professional video the better and be brave enough to take criticism on it then please, by all means do a video
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 03:15:49 pm »
Nathan, just so you know, it was a joke mate.

A video would be completely pointless on this subject.

The main point is - we all do things differently.

dazmond

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 04:05:18 pm »

I think the key here (which I’ve repeated many times now) is in saying ‘they’ll get cleaner and cleaner as we go forward) doesn’t mean they won’t be clean.

It’s a safeguard ‘just in case’.  Rarely do I get a phone call saying ‘they didn’t come up well’ but I say it just on the off chance.

your still sacked!...now on yer bike! ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2018, 04:07:47 pm »
First cleans are like women, no two are ever the same, most are a pita and the dirtier the better!  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

zesty

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2018, 04:51:36 pm »

your still sacked!...now on yer bike! ;D ;D ;D

I don’t offer my services to rough northerners Daz, sorry.

;D