zesty

Transit custom slow turn over
« on: November 08, 2018, 04:15:20 pm »
Has anyone experienced there custom turning over slowly? Especially when cold.

It’s not the battery. (Or maybe it is, but voltage seems ok)

I find it turns over really slowly on the first start of the day, also all the dials (fuel, temp, revs etc) seems to flicker and go a bit mental whilst it’s struggling to turn over?

Glow plugs? Starter motor?

Stoots

Re: Transit custom slow turn over
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:34:59 pm »
Sounds like the battery.

Voltage isnt really an indication of a good battery.,

I had a van that was slow to turn over like this for weeks, was only on a morning, rest of day fine.

Battery ended up being replaced, go get it tested

Other than that it could be all manner of electrical faults, bad earths, alternator, ignition switch, the list goes on, but i would bet its the battery and its the first place to start.

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 04:52:43 pm »
As above , battery is first thing you want to check , then bad earths , and  might well be the starter motor has gotten lazy , dont know if you have stop start on the custom but that is a reason for starters giving up .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 04:55:52 pm »
come to think about it , im sure it has been an issue for a member on here having the same problem and i think it was down the the oem battery being poor quality .

KS Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 05:28:04 pm »
Last week half way through the working day my Custom wouldn’t start. I’ve got Ford assistance who had the AA out at me within 45 mins. He got it started and said battery was low but would respond if I put it on a trickle charge. Once he was away I noticed the control for the headlights had slipped round to the on position,  this along with the fan and radio being on and stop and start nature of the job had probably drained the battery. It’s been ok since I charged it, there is a charging point under the bonnet so no need to go under the seat where the battery is located.

HCS

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 05:36:05 pm »
Had a similar problem earlier this year.  My mechanic changed the battery and replaced with one that is good for stop start engines as with our work we are always starting up.

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 05:51:08 pm »
BATTERY!get a new one and youll be good to go.....
price higher/work harder!

mufcglen

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 09:03:29 pm »
Yeah definately battery that pal, ford battery’s are crap but with the flickering gauges, I’ve had it with mine when battery isn’t in great condition, switch it out and you’ll be fine otherwise when we get really cold weather it will kill it then anyway :o

Don Kee

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 09:56:18 pm »
The battery in the Custom is notoriously crap. Swap it for a decent one.

Elfyn

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:00:48 am »
Check the earth strap (cable ) between the engine or gearbox and the van's body.

zesty

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 08:35:55 am »
Cheers all,

Will replace the battery soon, then report back.

Does annoy me how it’s under the Seat!

I’ve not got start stop, but as all windies, we are always sart stop anyway.

zesty

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 08:37:07 am »
Check the earth strap (cable ) between the engine or gearbox and the van's body.

Will have a look mate, though not entirely sure I’ll find it, I’m a bit clueless with this engine.

zesty

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 08:46:46 am »
Before I go and get a new battery...

Incase anyone knows why this would be - when I leave the ignition on for a minute or so, it seems to turn over a bit better.

When I try and turn it over straight away, it struggles majorly. But the turn over gets faster the longer the keys turned, that’s the only reason I wasn’t sure if it was really a battery issue?

P @ F

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 08:53:48 am »
That points towards glow plugs , does the yellow pigs tail light function as it should on the dash ?
Have the battery tested before buying another , at an actual battery supply place , they will arc the battery and load test it , halfords or the like will put a multimeter on it and tell you its goosed anyway which isnt a proper test .

zesty

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 08:57:14 am »
That points towards glow plugs , does the yellow pigs tail light function as it should on the dash ?
Have the battery tested before buying another , at an actual battery supply place , they will arc the battery and load test it , halfords or the like will put a multimeter on it and tell you its goosed anyway which isnt a proper test .

That’s what I was thinking, is it glow plugs. Guess I’ll have to go and get the battery tested!

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 09:06:06 am »
My van started doing that last year but the light was functioning as normal , luckily my glow plugs are pretty easy to get to , i pulled them out and connected them direct to a battery with some off cuts of wire , it turned out that 3 of them were shot only 1 was getting the van started and it only became really apparent when the cold weather set in .

zesty

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 09:12:31 am »
My van started doing that last year but the light was functioning as normal , luckily my glow plugs are pretty easy to get to , i pulled them out and connected them direct to a battery with some off cuts of wire , it turned out that 3 of them were shot only 1 was getting the van started and it only became really apparent when the cold weather set in .

Yellow pigs tail comes on for a couple of seconds when ignition is on, guessing that’s normal?

P @ F

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 09:15:28 am »
you lost me after the word seconds zesty , my van aint got a Thom  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 09:21:32 am »
Probably the best test you can do is find a mate with a similar battery that you know to be good , chuck it in yours and if it works better then it has to be the battery innit !

zesty

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 12:35:37 pm »
you lost me after the word seconds zesty , my van aint got a Thom  ;D

Meant ‘ignition is on’

Stupid iPhone keyboard!