Wolfman

ladders with safety bars
« on: November 07, 2018, 10:32:07 am »
The wide feet  at the bottom of a ladder I think are called safety bars.  I was going to order a Titan Classic triple and it doenst have one.   What do people think of them?   Worth having?

Spruce

Re: ladders with safety bars
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:44:43 am »
The wide feet  at the bottom of a ladder I think are called safety bars.  I was going to order a Titan Classic triple and it doenst have one.   What do people think of them?   Worth having?

Have you read the recent post about ladder regulations. Ladder sellers are allowed to sell there old design ladders they have in stock until the new year when they will only be allowed to sell ladder that conform to the new regulations.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=213655.0;all

Midlands ladders now longer list the Titan Classic triple as a sales item, so maybe some other company still has stock at a reduced price they are trying to get rid of before the new year.

Whilst we will still be able to use old design ladders until they become unserviceable after the new year, I would be very interested to know and ensure that the ladder I'm investing in fits the new regulations. 
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Wolfman

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:11:28 pm »
They told me that. If those bars (stabilizer bars) aren't removable they're a nightmare.  If they're removable then they're good

Plankton

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 05:59:40 pm »
I've got a 10m anything but Lyte ladder and I'll tell you if it had the bar it would be a nightmare to move when extended. On a smaller 3 section ladder I've got the bar and it's generally ok but if you have uneven ground or working on a slight incline it's not great and need to use the rubber pads. 

Overall I wouldn't be put off using one and it'll help on soft grass to an extent.

Wolfman

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 07:55:05 pm »
The new ladders from January won't just have the stabilizer bar but you won't be able to separate them either.  I panicked because this sounds like a nightmare so ordered a lyte 8.5 metre triple before they're banned.

I would like a stabilizer bar which is removable but if I get one then the sections won't separate under the new legislation.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 09:13:47 pm »
The new ladders from January won't just have the stabilizer bar but you won't be able to separate them either.  I panicked because this sounds like a nightmare so ordered a lyte 8.5 metre triple before they're banned.

I would like a stabilizer bar which is removable but if I get one then the sections won't separate under the new legislation.

I know we don't use ladders often, but I can see in the odd times we do use them they are going to make things more difficult in some instances. I wondered if you were wanting to buy old stock seeing as it was a triple.
Whilst those stabiliser bars seem to be a good regulation change, I can already see several situations where using the new versions are going to make the job more difficult for us. We work in several estates that are on hills and ladders with a wider footprint are going to be a problem.

I'm also in 2 minds as what to do with regard to a replacement ladder.

The lite ladder I have on the van is 15 years old and still in good condition. What it could do with is some new rubber feet. The trouble is that's its domestic so lighter than the industrial version. My concern is that even although we can still use old purchased ladders in good condition, what is the situation if we are using a domestic ladder on the odd residential property?

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 10:21:47 pm »
my 3.5 metre trade ladders will last me for the rest of my working life now as they only get used a few times a week! ;D

do you honestly think there going to have "ladder police" making sure your sticking to the new regulations?....i dont! ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 06:55:27 am »
my 3.5 metre trade ladders will last me for the rest of my working life now as they only get used a few times a week! ;D

do you honestly think there going to have "ladder police" making sure your sticking to the new regulations?....i dont! ;D ;D

The time it could become an issue is if there is an accident and the insurance company get involved. If you were using a DIY ladder for industrial purposes then that could become an issue even if it had nothing to do with the accident. An example could be an unexpected gust of wind blowing an unattended ladder over.

We don't have any industrial customers where we use our ladders, but the new regulations for ladders would classify our ladders as DIY. So really we would be bending the spirit of the regulations by using a DIY ladder for trade purposes on residential work.

We all bought the lightest ladders we could get when we were trad as we carried them a long way each day. I have a set of heavy duty ladders in the garage and I could never carry those around, even when I was fitter back in younger days. They are far too heavy.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 07:55:14 am »

The time it could become an issue is if there is an accident and the insurance company get involved. If you were using a DIY ladder for industrial purposes then that could become an issue even if it had nothing to do with the accident. An example could be an unexpected gust of wind blowing an unattended ladder over.

We don't have any industrial customers where we use our ladders, but the new regulations for ladders would classify our ladders as DIY. So really we would be bending the spirit of the regulations by using a DIY ladder for trade purposes on residential work.

We all bought the lightest ladders we could get when we were trad as we carried them a long way each day. I have a set of heavy duty ladders in the garage and I could never carry those around, even when I was fitter back in younger days. They are far too heavy.

the only time i had a set of DIY ladders was when i first started back in 1993...(b and q ladders).they were absolute rubbish....it wasnt long before i bought some proper trade aluminium ladders..... ;D

an old WC i know (whos still window cleaning trad by the way at 71!)only stopped using his wooden ladders around 10 years ago!now they were HEAVY compared to mine....he feels like a modern window cleaner now with his aluminium ladders! ;D

Plankton

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 11:35:16 pm »
Moving that big ladder about again today and was thinking if it had a bar I would have struggled on a couple of occasions. I can't pull the third section right down due to the stand off, so manoeuvring it into some areas would have been a pita as the ladder was angled instead of horizontal (on the shoulder) and a bar would have caught on steps etc.

I wouldn't use diy ladders as they're to bendy (well at least for big boned people) :)

Wolfman

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 03:58:29 pm »

Well my triple Lyte arrived today.   Putting an ankalad stabilizer on it.  I would recommend people get theit class 2 trade ladders before they're sold out or they're be stuck with diy or the new heavy awkward contraptions nothing in the middle.

What do you mean insurance issues?  No ones insured for injury. We all use the NHS.  Public liability is for damage to property, I wouldn't worry too much about that!  Or do u mean suing someone?  Which could be an issue if your ladder isn't to standard

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 08:20:42 pm »

Well my triple Lyte arrived today.   Putting an ankalad stabilizer on it.  I would recommend people get theit class 2 trade ladders before they're sold out or they're be stuck with diy or the new heavy awkward contraptions nothing in the middle.

What do you mean insurance issues?  No ones insured for injury. We all use the NHS.  Public liability is for damage to property, I wouldn't worry too much about that!  Or do u mean suing someone? Which could be an issue if your ladder isn't to standard

This is my concern. Our old domestic ladder is still in good condition. But it now fits into the classification of a DIY ladder and as such is only suitable for home owner use on his own property.
So from Jan 1 2019 I'm guilty of incorrect ladder use according to the new regulations if I use my DIY ladder for trade purposes. This is the way I interpret the new regulations. If there is an accident then this could lead to further drama if H&S got involved. I bet your insurance company would also question the validity of any claim as the incorrect tools were being used for the job.

In effect, you are only able to continue to use an old spec ladder if it was in good condition and fitted into the industrial heavy duty catagory.

In 2003 I had an accident with my angle grinder and nearly cut my thumb off. It was my own stupidity. I knew better but I tried to take a short cut. It was over a weekend and ended up in surgery as I had cut nerves and tendons in my thumb which they had to reconnect.

There was a fair bit of questioning as to what I was doing, all of which was noted. I asked why all the questions. They replied that they had to report all industrial accidents to the H&S authority. As my injury was domestic they didn't have to report it. Because it happened on a Sunday added more weight to my statement that it was a domestic injury.

So whilst the NHS will patch us up, they will report any injury that they have attended to if it occurred while working commercially. When we clean a customer's windows for a financial reward we are working commercially.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 01:43:35 pm »

What do you mean insurance issues?  No ones insured for injury. We all use the NHS.  Public liability is for damage to property, I wouldn't worry too much about that!  Or do u mean suing someone? Which could be an issue if your ladder isn't to standard

This is my concern. Our old domestic ladder is still in good condition. But it now fits into the classification of a DIY ladder and as such is only suitable for home owner use on his own property.
So from Jan 1 2019 I'm guilty of incorrect ladder use according to the new regulations if I use my DIY ladder for trade purposes. This is the way I interpret the new regulations. If there is an accident then this could lead to further drama if H&S got involved. I bet your insurance company would also question the validity of any claim as the incorrect tools were being used for the job.

In effect, you are only able to continue to use an old spec ladder if it was in good condition and fitted into the industrial heavy duty catagory.

In 2003 I had an accident with my angle grinder and nearly cut my thumb off. It was my own stupidity. I knew better but I tried to take a short cut. It was over a weekend and ended up in surgery as I had cut nerves and tendons in my thumb which they had to reconnect.

There was a fair bit of questioning as to what I was doing, all of which was noted. I asked why all the questions. They replied that they had to report all industrial accidents to the H&S authority. As my injury was domestic they didn't have to report it. Because it happened on a Sunday added more weight to my statement that it was a domestic injury.

So whilst the NHS will patch us up, they will report any injury that they have attended to if it occurred while working commercially. When we clean a customer's windows for a financial reward we are working commercially.

spruce you dont half worry about things that probably will never happen!if your that worried buy yourself a decent ladder thats fit for the job(or get rid of the jobs you use your ladders on).....

Wolfman

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 02:10:03 pm »
This country is a joke.  The health and safety dept who brought out these regulations don't know what they're doing.  Swivel ladder spikes work on grass.  An ankalad stabilizer if used properly adds more safety.  These bars will be a nightmare because how will they work on uneven ground?  How will they work if there's a curb in the way?

Not being able to separate the ladders is ridiculous.  I got an8. 5 metre lyte ladder so I can use the top two sections for the majority of jobs.  Six metres is sufficient.   If we all have to lug a 35kg triple around with stabilizer bar about for checking bungalow gutters out backs will be be done in.

Regarding the NHS.  Since coming back to Britain and comparing it with foreign health care its apparent it's become line a 'big brother' institution and the docs not that socially adept.  I would suggest you describe your injury for the correct treatment however maintain that you were working at home.  They'll never find out.

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 09:24:35 pm »

spruce you dont half worry about things that probably will never happen!if your that worried buy yourself a decent ladder thats fit for the job(or get rid of the jobs you use your ladders on).....

Daz, you are right. I worry too much.

I'm am going to replace those ladders in the new year when all stock should meet the current standard.

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 09:36:35 pm »
This country is a joke.  The health and safety dept who brought out these regulations don't know what they're doing.  Swivel ladder spikes work on grass.  An ankalad stabilizer if used properly adds more safety.  These bars will be a nightmare because how will they work on uneven ground?  How will they work if there's a curb in the way?

Not being able to separate the ladders is ridiculous.  I got an8. 5 metre lyte ladder so I can use the top two sections for the majority of jobs.  Six metres is sufficient.   If we all have to lug a 35kg triple around with stabilizer bar about for checking bungalow gutters out backs will be be done in.

Regarding the NHS.  Since coming back to Britain and comparing it with foreign health care its apparent it's become line a 'big brother' institution and the docs not that socially adept.  I would suggest you describe your injury for the correct treatment however maintain that you were working at home.  They'll never find out.

I agree. I see that Lansford Access don't have stock of the Big Grip ladder stabiliser and leveller. I guess this is another accessory that will be consigned to the annuals of time, probably because of the wider feet spacing and the size of the box the legs fit into.

https://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-stabilisers/big-grip-ladder-safety-stabiliser-and-leveller.html

Strangely I see they are out of stock but still selling them on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIG-GRIP-LADDER-LEVELLER-STABILISER/183523239287?hash=item2abad66577:g:nLIAAOSwdGxXIz6A:rk:8:pf:0

Wolfman

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 11:56:50 am »

I agree. I see that Lansford Access don't have stock of the Big Grip ladder stabiliser and leveller. I guess this is another accessory that will be consigned to the annuals of time, probably because of the wider feet spacing and the size of the box the legs fit into.

https://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-stabilisers/big-grip-ladder-safety-stabiliser-and-leveller.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIG-GRIP-LADDER-LEVELLER-STABILISER/183523239287?hash=item2abad66577:g:nLIAAOSwdGxXIz6A:rk:8:pf:0

I have just used these rubber leveller mat things if I was on a slope up until now. Would you recommend this device?  I might get it before it sells out if so

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 09:03:27 am »

My daughter sent me a TED clip link from Youtube. Scientists have a word for planning for things that could happen in the future
and have a ready thought out solution should it happen. They call it pre-mortem and is the opposite to post-mortem. Someone else calls it prospective hindsight;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jPQjjsBbIc

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 09:11:06 am »

I have just used these rubber leveller mat things if I was on a slope up until now. Would you recommend this device?  I might get it before it sells out if so

I've always used a block of 2 x 4 or a wedge I made for the odd time I need it. With wider stabliser feet I might have to stat looking at piece of 3 x3 or 4 x 4 and cut them into a wedge. ;D

Disclosure;
I very much doubt this would be a solution  H&S would approve of.

Wolfman

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 02:19:29 pm »
I see, so you weren't recommending those ladder leveller things!