Crystal-clear

Rain and your employee(s)
« on: November 07, 2018, 07:52:39 am »
Well it's ok for us who don't really have a full-time employee or work alone. We look at a Day Like This and say yeah so that's too wet we'll do it tomorrow especially if you are up to date with your work.

But when you have people that have families to feed and rely off your income you obviously have a duty to get them working naturally working through the rain and working in all all weather  makes your business more of a business too
It's not really the customers that would put me off most of them are out  and I'll probably only have 2  explain once or twice  it's all fine it's getting completely soaked perhaps some high-quality waterproofs do you invest in those and keep pushing on and if so which ones?

Also maybe you work alone and you also work in all weather because you're flat out which waterproof do you have

dazmond

Re: Rain and your employee(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 08:31:07 am »
i have 2 goretex jackets in the van(north face and berghaus) and use one in the morning and one in the afternoon on wet days.today ive got decathlon hiking trousers on(cost me round £40).they are waterproof and warm.caterpillar composite toe waterproof boots and im good to go.i also wear a cap sometimes and put my hood up over it to reduce rain getting in my eyes.

gloves wise i usually wear nitrile glove liners with showa 377s over the top.they are waterproof and because i wear the liners my hands dont stink.....

seriously just go out and work in the all but the worst rain....it very rarely hammers it down all day.sit in the van during the very heavy showers.....

dont kid yourself....if you miss a few days of work due to the weather that money is for lost forever.you never "catch up".it has a knock on effect on your whole workload for the next week and week after that....

if you work (say 5 or 6 hours a day) you might have to work in 2 hours of rain if your unlucky....also most customers will either be out or not even mention the weather.the very rare ones that dont want theirs cleaning in the rain get missed until next time.

you might feel a bit miserable working in the rain but you ll feel worse sat at home not earning(from my own experience)....

ive got plenty of money in the bank and im not struggling financially but id rather be working than sat at home.it would be different if my missus was off and we could do something together but shes self employed as well and works hard most days so i might as well be working too.... ;)
price higher/work harder!

Crystal-clear

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 08:40:26 am »
i have 2 goretex jackets in the van(north face and berghaus) and use one in the morning and one in the afternoon on wet days.today ive got decathlon hiking trousers on(cost me round £40).they are waterproof and warm.caterpillar composite toe waterproof boots and im good to go.i also wear a cap sometimes and put my hood up over it to reduce rain getting in my eyes.

gloves wise i usually wear nitrile glove liners with showa 377s over the top.they are waterproof and because i wear the liners my hands dont stink.....

seriously just go out and work in the all but the worst rain....it very rarely hammers it down all day.sit in the van during the very heavy showers.....

dont kid yourself....if you miss a few days of work due to the weather that money is for lost forever.you never "catch up".it has a knock on effect on your whole workload for the next week and week after that....

if you work (say 5 or 6 hours a day) you might have to work in 2 hours of rain if your unlucky....also most customers will either be out or not even mention the weather.the very rare ones that dont want theirs cleaning in the rain get missed until next time.

you might feel a bit miserable working in the rain but you ll feel worse sat at home not earning(from my own experience)....

ive got plenty of money in the bank and im not struggling financially but id rather be working than sat at home.it would be different if my missus was off and we could do something together but shes self employed as well and works hard most days so i might as well be working too.... ;)

Well stated basically preparation is everything you're armed to the teeth. With even two jackets so when one of them gets more soaked you just switch over how much did you spend in total on all your rain gear.

John Mart

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:48:00 am »

Great post Daz.

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 08:51:27 am »
£300 for 2 jackets,£120 for boots,£40 for hiking trousers,£15 for gloves and liners so around £475?ive had the jackets for years and reproof them every so often....

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 10:26:29 am »
 Slightly off subject.  Anyone tried out the engelbert strauss jackets?

I use their trousers and think they are the bees knees.  Just wondered how the waterproof jackets hold out against the big brands
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

cleaniac

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 10:54:37 am »
I have scruffs waterproofs.

Rain? Meh! Carry on.

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:46:45 am »
Don't really see the point in expensive rain gear. Like daz says it rarely rains all day.

If the weather is that bad a sin torrential I won't work, if is light to moderate or a few heavy showers I'm generally fine working in my t shirt, fleece or just a lightweight cheap rain jacket.

I get too hot wearing full rain gear, today Im in my t shirt, few light showerrs, my feet are Also slightly damp. I don't really care about getting a bit wet, I'm only out for 5-6 hours and work hard enough not to notice.

I have a cheap regatta jacket in the van that was about £40 and I've had it years, I've a fleece and a hoody, if the weather's bad enough to soak all those through its time I went home.

cleaniac

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 11:53:43 am »
my feet are Also slightly damp. I don't really care about getting a bit damp.

Just be careful with your feet getting damp

Many years back, i didnt worry about my feet, and often they would get damp. I ended up getting serious case of athletes foot, and it traveled up my leg, to my buttocks and on my arms.

Took 10 months of very strong anti fingal medication to just get it under control  and a further 5 months to clear completely.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 12:38:13 pm »
I have to say that quality workwear is really important rather than the cheap rubbish.   It's the one industry that's makes all the differance from budget to premium brands.   Take it from me who is familiar to mountain climbing in extreme conditions.  I seen so many climbers struggle with poor quality protective clothing.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

John Mart

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 12:44:13 pm »
I have to say that quality workwear is really important rather than the cheap rubbish.   It's the one industry that's makes all the differance from budget to premium brands.   Take it from me who is familiar to mountain climbing in extreme conditions.  I seen so many climbers struggle with poor quality protective clothing.
Although to be fair, a shower in Brighton is slightly different to the north face of the Eiger.  ;D

Shrek

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 02:17:56 pm »

Many years back, i didnt worry about my feet, and often they would get damp. I ended up getting serious case of athletes foot, and it traveled up my leg, to my buttocks and on my arms.

Took 10 months of very strong anti fingal medication to just get it under control  and a further 5 months to clear completely.

Tea tree oil is great for athletes foot. Horrible fungal infection though

Shrek

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 02:18:51 pm »

cleaniac

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 02:44:30 pm »

Yeah well this got really nasty, i actually developed an infection in the end aswell. Huge deep cracks in foot got infected, it was all up my leg and round my groin. I just ignored it, had it for about 3 years but just let it faster, carried on working in rain and kept getting my feet wet.  I was also in the deepest parts of my depression and just didbt care about myself.

Dry Clean

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 03:12:45 pm »
Forum willy measuring to one side, there are couple of large employers in my area who seem to have a flexible working arrangement with their employees, you would see them working late some evenings or on a Saturday if the weather has been bad over the week, icy conditions would be a bigger concern as you could be liable if an employee was to get injured as a result of having to work in them.

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 03:52:22 pm »
thats how we do it

heavy rain - no work and catch up later in the week or Saturday - guys are on a rota for Saturdays should they be required

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

John Mart

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 03:53:48 pm »
We just work through. Except the torrential stuff. Rarely get a moan.

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 04:18:24 pm »
worked 930am-3pm today....30 mins for lunch...5 mins dodging a heavy shower this morning and 30 mins working in it and an hour working in the wet on my last job of the day.(total wet weather working 90 mins approx)

i was soaked by the time i got home but £265 better off......happy days....beats sat at home waiting for the rain to stop! :D :D

purified water,uploaded and downloaded latest worksheets,printed invoices and put batteries on charge..all done and dusted until  930am tomorrow morning..... 8)

Shrek

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 04:41:36 pm »

Yeah well this got really nasty, i actually developed an infection in the end aswell. Huge deep cracks in foot got infected, it was all up my leg and round my groin. I just ignored it, had it for about 3 years but just let it faster, carried on working in rain and kept getting my feet wet.  I was also in the deepest parts of my depression and just didbt care about myself.

Yikes!! ay , one can only take so much of arse scratching before it’s time to sort it out

tlwcs

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 07:08:53 pm »
Buffalo special 6 shirts, the bees knees?

Crystal-clear

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 07:17:14 pm »
£300 for 2 jackets,£120 for boots,£40 for hiking trousers,£15 for gloves and liners so around £475?ive had the jackets for years and reproof them every so often....

well £475 but think about it one day off or 2 and thats started to pay for its self.how about water proof socks? so could you get away with 1 jacket or you use the second one when one gets really wet dam your so prepared i must say

would you like to link all your stuff someone showd us boots for £70 why are yours 120 maybe they're the big daddys?

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 08:03:55 pm »
if you ve got waterproof boots then you dont need waterproof socks do ya? ;D

my boots are not the normal yellow caterpillars that most people buy(mine are grey)...ive had them a few years now and their still waterproof!best boots ive owned....

the reason why ive got 2 goretex jackets is sometimes one is really wet by lunchtime so a fresh dry one after lunch is heaven!(after ive dried off in a warm van and had some food and a brew)...

i am organised yes mate but ive spent many years doing this job and working outside so i try and make it as easy and comfortable as possible these days..... :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 09:16:43 pm »
worked 930am-3pm today....30 mins for lunch...5 mins dodging a heavy shower this morning and 30 mins working in it and an hour working in the wet on my last job of the day.(total wet weather working 90 mins approx)

i was soaked by the time i got home but £265 better off......happy days....beats sat at home waiting for the rain to stop! :D :D

purified water,uploaded and downloaded latest worksheets,printed invoices and put batteries on charge..all done and dusted until  930am tomorrow morning..... 8)

That's the spirit, Daz!

Mind you 9:30 am start is a bit decadent!  ;D
It's a game of three halves!