Sid123

Van hose ports
« on: October 12, 2021, 04:15:20 pm »
Hi,

What’s the opinions here on van mounted hose ports?. I currently don’t have them and (fortunately) work in areas where its ok to leave the tailgate open while working.
However, I’m having a new system put in with Grippatank on a brand new van.
Seems their standard approach is to include hose ports. What are the pros and cons over just having extended hose guides?. I’m apprehensive about having holes put through the van if not completely necessary….?
Cheers

NWH

Re: Van hose ports
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 05:35:27 pm »
They are awful I had a replacement van with them for a couple of weeks having to lift reels out and put them away after each job took me back 25 years,dreadful way to have to work.

Sid123

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 06:28:02 pm »
My set up will have fixed electric reels. But I can’t see any real advantage with the hose ports over extended hose guides out the back and side.
I’ll still need to open up the van to lift the poles in and out and that’s lots more opening and shutting the tailgate … ::)roll

High-Tower

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:41:36 pm »
I think you are mixing up hose ports with hose rollers.

hose ports are for filling the van or connecting to your hose reel outside the van, which would be useless with fixed electric hose reel.
https://www.grippatank.co.uk/2-man-grippahose-rodi-and-delivery-double-valved-stainless-steel-underport

hose rollers are the guides through the floor for your reel hose.
https://www.grippatank.co.uk/grippareel-roller-guide-floor-kit-th

Sid123

Re: Van floor hose rollers
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 07:21:16 pm »
Apologies!. Your right. Yes I mean holes through the floor rollers. I’ve changed to title of this thread.

I’m want to know if people think they are worth having and the benefits of them?.
I can’t see much point unless you work in areas where it might not be wise to leave the tailgate etc open.

Slash

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 07:25:49 pm »
You can still use them if you are in a rough area,just slip the hose through the  floor and lock the doors.
You can still use the back doors as well.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 07:26:25 pm »
We have fixed reels & just shut & lock the doors on the hose. It doesn’t crush it or affect flow. The rubber door seal sees to that.

Sid123

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 07:30:24 pm »
I get that with the holes in the floor you’ve got flexibility but I don’t tend to work in areas I’d feel I need to close the tailgate.
Also as my van is new not overly keen on them punching holes in the floor, maybe this would effect resale value etc?

Slash

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 07:35:52 pm »
Famous last words,dont leave anything valuable like expensive poles etc.
Thieves are everywhere.

Sid123

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 07:42:13 pm »
True. So that’s one vote for them I guess..

High-Tower

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 08:24:27 pm »
I will fit rollers to my next van. Not for the security really, although that’s an added bonus. I think they give a wider range of angles the hose can be reeled off the van, they keep the hose nice and low when it’s being pulled off reducing tripping hazards, and keep it from rubbing anywhere on the body work.
I don’t think they’d make much difference on resale value, there will be holes from the tank being bolted down any way, another one at the back won’t matter. Sikaflex a patch over the top then fit a plyfloor and no one would notice.

windowswashed

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 08:46:35 pm »
I have a tailgate and use a dog door latch lock so tailgate is slightly ajar for hose whilst tailgate is securely locked at all times.

Smudger

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 09:51:43 pm »
I couldn't be doing with disconnecting the pole from the reel for each job

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Sid123

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 09:57:05 pm »
Exactly.
The only benefit I can see is where multiple houses can be cleaned from one parking location.
My new set up will have a side door mounted reel and a tail gate reel. I think I’m just going to opt for extension guides to get the hose clear of the van and scrap the idea holes in the floor.