Does anyone window clean any interesting properties?
« on: May 03, 2005, 06:48:25 pm »
I used to clean the shop windows of a Medieval castle, and now do the windows of a four hundred year old building (now a hotel).  I've a boring round; but does anyone clean the windows of say someone important, like the Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street, or Allan Shearer?

Or do a famous property like Buckingham Palace or the like?

Duke

Re: Does anyone window clean any interesting properties?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 07:08:18 pm »
Only interesting properties architecturally.....nobody famous to my knowledge lives in them....there's a guy in a big house with his own runway and plane....a windmill attached to a house......a farm with a giant dovecote....a country court  (mini stately home) and a rake of barn conversions. Apart from that...it's all boring new homes on an estate populated by yuppies and the like.

Simon Carter

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 07:31:23 pm »
Tell'um about the house where the bloke makes the movies Duke !
Onwards and Upwards...

Duke

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 07:33:55 pm »
lol...best not....the mods would soon delete it...

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 07:40:52 pm »
I think I can guess!

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 03:07:31 am »
Just today I cleaned one of my very unique accounts.  I w/c the control tower and FAA building of an international airport.  It is really cool how the folks operate in the tower.  It's a challenge to clean the interior because there is equipment everywhere.  I basically climb over everything and balance while cleaning.  They seem to have a lot of conflicts with helicopter pilots being in the way of oncoming jets.  I get really anxious when they get urgent with the pilots and refer to possible collisions.  And there I am, standing in front of their view with a soaped up window! 

cd5000

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 06:44:16 am »
 i clean the 70s group "Bucks Fizz " lead singer bobby g. house each month

steve

Colin_Glenn

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 08:40:37 am »
I do Dani Minogues Managers windows
Transparent Weather Exclusion Systems Technician.

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 10:07:55 pm »
I'm fortunate that I live in a town (Brighton) where the weird and unusual is normal and it is also a favourite with the rich and famous.

We do the windows of quite a few 'famous' people and some really really seriously wealthy people. Some aren't such nice people compared to their 'tv' personality but most are very pleasant and easy. Some rich people are very nice and some have given us great idea's to earn money and some are snobs. that's the rich for you.

One old time actor who in his old 50's and 60's films is a lovable bumbling simpleton who always gets the pretty girl by singing to her is a nasty rude arrogant picky uptight ba**ard but .... he pays top rate and in cash.

Amongst the odder places we do is one that is designed to look like a submarine, and one down the road from there is a copy of a Chinese pagoda.

Then there is a conservatory that looks like a UFO and a shed that is in the shape of a giant sportscar.

One house we do every so often has a one arm bandit for a front door bell and you have to put 10p in to ring it.

The most interesting customer we have, if that is the right word, is one who restores old Rolls Royce's. The last one he done was a huge black 1936 Wraith or something and when we saw it, to start with, it was all in bits all over the floor of this huge garage. Over about 18 months we saw it slowly change into this immaculate vehicle all in perfect working order with original Rolls Royce parts where possible. I don't know the exact price he sold it for but it did have 6 zero's after it. This bloke is in his sixties and looks like a scruff bag with a roll up hanging from his mouth. He's also a leading expert in cryogenics and has a house (mansion) full of the oddest things. His wife is odd too .... but we always get tea and biscuits.

What makes this so unusual is this massive property is in the middle of a large estate of 3 up 3 down semi's. He doesn't fit in but he doesn't care and all his neighbours talk about him.

On the opposite end of the scale is an old boy who talks about the war and lives in a 2 up 2 down council house. He is so interesting to listen to.

One of the things I love about window cleaning is that you get to often know about peoples lives. How many other professions are there where it is accepted that you look through their windows into the world they live in and that it is ok to do that? I love it and yes I've strayed from the subject of this topic all through this posting.

dustycorner

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 08:55:40 pm »
HI all,

I clean the windows of Ian Lavender ( Pike from Dads army ) each month. Top bloke with a great sense of humour.

Cheers Mark.

Tussin

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 10:58:08 pm »
I clean windows of a premiership linesman.

danny mckim

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 11:10:56 pm »
I am a football coach 2 nights a week for Gleniffer Thistle in Scotland.About 5 years ago one of the boys dads was working for Bryant Homes in Newton Mearns (posh area). This was the time when the Scottish League had money I managed 2 pik up some famous football stars. TommyJohnson, Craig Burley, Morten Weighorst, Kenny Dalgleish, Chris Sutton, Alan Thompson, Ronald De Boer and Andri Kancshelskis were among them.Although they were all old firm stars (celtic and rangers) they all got along fine. Just a pity they all moved on. This is the only time your prices will ever go down.When joe public move in and dont throw cash at you.

Londoner

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 08:55:37 am »
I live in Pinner and we have got loads of famous people round here but I don't do any of them.

Mostly TV actors and the like.

There are a number of private roads with houses in the million pounds plus price range but I avoid them like the plague.

I don't like big houses because they are usually difficult people to work for.

marc al

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 07:22:05 pm »
  I don't clean his windows but I used to live next door to Geoff Capes when he was the world's strongest man. When he was featured on John Noakes's show Go With Noakes I got a ride in the convertable Morris Minor and Shep done his business on our front lawn.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 08:30:04 pm »
  I don't clean his windows but I used to live next door to Geoff Capes when he was the world's strongest man. When he was featured on John Noakes's show Go With Noakes I got a ride in the convertable Morris Minor and Shep done his business on our front lawn.

Well, if we're going down the 'my fame to claim route':

I was Sam Fox's driver for three days in Bosnia, during which time we were shot at and I was in the Sun Newspaper.

I once spent 28 days in the same cell as Dirty Den from Eastenders.  He'd been in there previously for shooting a German taxi driver (dead), and was undergoing a Court Martial.

I once met Limal from Kagagoogoo in a night club!

jsm

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 07:16:26 am »
all my customers are special  ;D - but i do clean BBC's Top Gears 's the stigg's windows - no I cant say who he is haha .

john malone

ps : I  do sharps bedrooms window in homebase in basildon , one little window for a £10 - just wish they was all like that haha .
John Malone
JSM. Window & General Cleaning
(  North Wales  )
Giving homes a shine sicne 1989

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 10:16:34 pm »
HI all,

I clean the windows of Ian Lavender ( Pike from Dads army ) each month.

Are you sure you do?  I thought he died years ago.

Tell him I thought he was dead!

Regards

Tosh.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 10:26:43 pm »
To Windows Chepstow:-

"You stupid boy!" (Said in Arthur Lowe/Capt. Mainwaring voice - who really is dead!)
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 10:39:13 pm »

Well, if we're going down the 'my fame to claim route':

I was Sam Fox's driver for three days in Bosnia, during which time we were shot at and I was in the Sun Newspaper.

I once spent 28 days in the same cell as Dirty Den from Eastenders.  He'd been in there previously for shooting a German taxi driver (dead), and was undergoing a Court Martial.

I once met Limal from Kagagoogoo in a night club!

Roy, hey,

That's nothing.  If we're bragging here, I have three 'claim to fames'.

1.  I've spent 21 days in the same military prison cell as 'Dirty Den' from Eastenders (although he was only there during his Court Martial for murding a German Taxi Driver.

2.   I was Samantha Fox's driver for three days in Bosnia during a 'Grip and Grin' visit.  (She didn't sing or expose herself once).  We were shot at and mortared and my picture was in the Sun newpaper with her.

3.   And I once met Limall from Kagagoogoo in a nightclub.

Oh, I've also met Prince Charles.  He spoke to me. 

He said, "Shift".

That's four, sorry.

Thought that sounded familier!

Graham,

They sounded familiar, because they're actually true.  Not only that I'm a right boring nuts who repeats funny stories because I enjoy recounting them.

Ask Wor Lass!  I bore the breasts off her! 

When in company, she'll often deliver the punch line when I'm telling a 'humerous anecdote'.  Cow.

You're begining to sound like Wor Lass!

Anyway, Graham, I honestly like you, Mate.

I look out for your posts and you make me laugh.  If there's a different point of view, you provide one.

Regards, and I look forward to arguing with you in the future.

Wor Lass says it's time I had a bath and went to bed.

She's probably right.

Night night.

Duke

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 08:03:59 am »
Ian Lavender is that pillock in East Enders these days....Dads Army...blimey, that's going back a bit....

Paul Coleman

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 04:47:45 pm »
I used to clean the shop windows of a Medieval castle, and now do the windows of a four hundred year old building (now a hotel).  I've a boring round; but does anyone clean the windows of say someone important, like the Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street, or Allan Shearer?

Or do a famous property like Buckingham Palace or the like?

My father was a builder until he retired but he did window cleaning for about 3 or 4 years in the 1960s.  One of his customers was the late Harold MacMillan.  He also worked for a guy who had been the Lord Mayor of London (Denis Lowson or similar name I think).

dennis buller

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2005, 02:46:32 am »
a customer when i went and cleaned the first time glad i a canvassed there present window cleaner had let them down, so i took his place. cleaned the house and conservatory on tues. done a good job, that saturday had a phone call, kids and hubby had made the conservatory grubby could i clean inside and outside has a priority,so i did. the film crew arrived next day, the house in milton keynes is on t.v in the autumn and i will admire my handy work.... you will all probobly be looking for streaks     ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2005, 02:56:55 am »
im on the other side carpets etc but i clean reg for paul and buster on 5pm tv dont want to say more lilly savage
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

dustycorner

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2005, 04:33:07 pm »
Hi Tosh,

He is very  much alive, on eastenders at mo until june when he leaves. I live in  the town where dads army was filmed lots of the building are local landmarks

Cheers Mark.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 05:35:59 pm »
Hi Tosh,

He is very  much alive, on eastenders

I never watch any of the soaps; but I remember my Granny pointing out all the dead people on a repeat of Dad's Army (shortly before she died), and I'm sure her crooked old finger pointed towards 'Pikey'.