I cleaned my own windows today - what a shoddy job!
« on: January 19, 2005, 09:08:00 pm »
After some intense pressure from my missis, I cleaned the windows of my house.  Just the upstairs mind - she's a window cleaner too - and can do the bottoms herself.  Big ladders are to heavy for her (She reckons), so I tell her it's against union rules for me to do the bottoms.

Anyway, I cleaned them in the usual way.   Soaped them up, being careful not to hit the top and sides.  Squeegied as normal.  I didn't bother scrimming as I tend not to be so particular on the upstairs windows (I don't think they get looked at as much).  Main downstairs windows I always leave in pristine condition.  My missis would say that's because she does 'em.

Well, shock/horror.  I looked through my young uns back window and at the top of each there was a one to two inch grey streak where my applicator didn't hit and squeegie didn't clean!

I checked the other upstairs windows - the same - dirty at the top.

I've only been cleaning windows for two years (nearly) and I thought I was doing okay.  None of my customers complain.  My missis did though (but I won't be doing my own again for a while - I'm sure you know what I mean).

What am I doing wrong (if anything)?  Do the small percentage of my customers who notice, just turn a blind eye?  Or do you think because I do my customers every month, and my own every time I get sick of being harrassed by my missis - their windows come up clean? 

Who else will admit to doing a shoddy job?

AuRavelling79

Re: I cleaned my own windows today - what a shoddy job!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 10:59:38 pm »
Probably cuz you've left them so long - if you did them monthly like I do my own (Yeah right!) you wouldn't have a grey streak around the top and side.

When they're mucky you've got to soap to the edges and scrim afterwards.
It's a game of three halves!

Duke

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 11:02:39 pm »
she wouldn't let me get away with that...that's why she does it herself... ;D

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 02:33:05 pm »
Hi Tosh,

As Malc said, you had left them too long to be able to get away with not washing right to the edges with the applicator.
But you also have to beware of not doing a full all over wash after severe weather, particularly the windy damp weather we have been subjected to of late.
Windows can get pretty greasy and you often need to wash a little more thoroughly than you would otherwise do on normal repeat cleans.
The only edge I stay just shy of is the top edge, and if the windows are greasy, after going over with the applicator I would use a damp scrim to 'edge' the window before I squeegee'd it.
This also means you shouldn't need to 'detail' it after you have squeegee'd it.
It's also handy because the scrim doesn't have to be dry to do it ;)

All of this of course was in the old days, I was thinking of donating my ladder to Chepstow museum  ;D

With the WFP I just spend a little longer making sure I rinse properly 8)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 07:06:43 pm »
Thanks Ian,

I put a letter though those houses I asked if you'd take over.  It reads as follows (and I honestly did put this through - this evening - it's cut and paste - apart from I gave them your real telephone number):
------------------------
A MESSAGE FROM YOUR WINDOW CLEANER

It is with regret that I am unable to clean your windows any longer.  Basically, being a traditional window cleaner (using ladders) I find your type of house very difficult to clean because of the type of windows you have. 

For me to continue to clean, I would have to double my charge – which I will not do.  So to prevent any animosity building between us (I can imagine your reaction if I told you that), I have asked another window cleaner to contact you and give you a quote.  He uses the latest in window cleaning technology (don't laugh – it's true); it's a water fed pole that purifies the water before cleaning your windows.  Large companies like Tescos use this type of equipment to clean their windows.

His name is Ian Giles and (just in case you don't hear from him), his number is (01291) XXXXXX.  He's extremely competent and covered by public liability insurance. Oh, he's knocking on a bit, so you may need to arrange to leave your gate open for him – I doubt he'll clamber over them like we did.

Thank you for your custom, and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notice the 'knocking on a bit'.  They never complained I left a grey streak at the top mind!

To Vince - I am trying to put up my prices mate, and getting rid of my underpriced stuff!  See above!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 07:46:48 pm »
Thanks for that Tosh,
I'll drop by and call in on them in the next day or two. I called by the houses to have a quick look, you are quite correct in that you underpriced them :o
That will of course be rectified ;)
I rather presume you could not reach the high second storey windows? On number 117 I'll be able to do the velux windows in the roof too, providing they have the wonga to pay for it ;D
Though for people to live in those houses they must have pretty impressive incomes :-\

Ian

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 08:05:59 pm »
Ian has just gently told me off about my post in a private message.  I'll stick it up here.  It's a good point, but I'll not include about his walking through Ross, which was full of top totty, and he was (sadly) inspecting the standard of their window cleaning.

---------------
I've replied to your your reply  If that makes sense!
I actually thought it quite a good post, it meant a word of caution could be posted about the dangers of taking it for granted that you can ignore all the edges and not worry about detailing.
Beginners in window cleaning, reading some of the postings regarding not detailing may think they can clean windows in this manner all the time.

I was in Ross the other night, I don't know who does the 'Woolies' there, but they do an absolutely awful job of it, how they can get away with that I don't know. If their manager ever visited Chepstow's Woolie they would have a shock (thats a compliment )
When I see the standard of some window cleaners work I am amazed they manage to stay in business sometimes.
------------------------------
(I do the Woolies in Chepstow)

matt

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 09:41:01 pm »
its al about training

i have spoken to a few W/C'ers and its the same story

they dont wipe the cills, they dont detail with a scrim

they all tell me, its in the training, if you teach your punters to accept a certain standard of job, then most do

i was shocked to be honest

Ian_Giles

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 09:47:08 pm »
Tosh does a top job on the Chepstow Woolies ;)
I now hope that whoever does the one in Ross is not on this forum :-X

Though if the amount of totty walking about during the day is anything like those that fill the streets in the evening I can understand him being distracted :o

I of course pay no attention to large breasted women in short skirts..........now a large breasted man.... 8)

Ian