Paul Coleman

Re: What annoys you at work? Whistlers - they really wind me up!
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 09:13:10 am »
When you get to a house,  Ask the owner if the van is ok where it is parked.  yes thats fine they reply.
You get your hoses sorted out and you are just cleaning the first window and they say "Could you move your van as I'm off to the shops?"

Or the nice ones that offer you a cup of tea as soon as you arrive but bring it out to you when you have finishes and are keen to get on to the next house.

The ones I love to hate are the people who say "Now you use that pole it only takes you half the time, so I should only pay you half the money."

I reply " if it took me three times longer would you pay me three times more?"  They always just give a very weak smile and wander off.

And the local road sweeper who has the same things to say every day.
him " How's it going mon?"
me  " Not bad cheers, and you?"
him "Not bad and you?"   and it goes on like this till I give in

With the ones who say about it taking less time I just tell them that my overheads are now very much higher.  I don't go into details though.
Some people just don't seem to appreciate that with WFP, window cleaning is not as closely related to "time taken" as it used to be with ladders and lower overheads.
The hourly rate I charge works out much higher now but the customer doesn't actually pay any more because I usually get the work done more quickly.