What annoys you at work? Whistlers - they really wind me up!
« on: November 10, 2006, 04:59:44 pm »
I clean the windows of several houses in the vicinity of an old bloke whose always outside pottering round his garden while whistling aimlessly.

It's not even a proper tune; just long drawling note-changing monotonous whistling; it goes on and on and on and it drives me crazy.

He's always ruddy there too.

Once, during the Summer, I was hot, sweaty and bad-tempered and shouted, 'Will you stop that awful whistling', but I think he's deaf; or just does it because he knows it winds me up.

I'm pondering a 'customer cull', and I think these houses are going to get dropped because I can't stand this old bloke!  He's driving me round the bend.

On the other hand, I knock these houses out really fast; just to get away from the 'whistler'.

What bugs you at work?

jeff1

Re: What annoys you at work? Whistlers - they really wind me up!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 05:11:55 pm »
Yapping and barking dogs
I don't mind any dog barking, but when they go on and on it winds me up.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 05:15:42 pm »
People who annoy me about my whistling ;D
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

geefree

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 05:51:49 pm »
bushes in front of windows trying to stick a pointer in them..

or soil in front turning to mud when wet... that winds me up as i hate trailing it in the van not to mention it dropping on me when i put the ladders back on the van  >:(

ronaldo

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 05:56:46 pm »
Gardens with dog muck in them, soon as i see it its fronts only !
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

pylofm

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 05:56:50 pm »
Knowing that Gazzasp8 has over a 100 customer and he started the same week as me !!! ;D

geefree

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 05:59:15 pm »
how did you know  ::) ;)

pylofm

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 06:03:15 pm »
Seriously though....getting the ladders off the van to gain access...will be happy when I am established and I am able to whittle the round down to wfp only or use ladders only on jobs where it is really a 'gud erner'.

Cheers
Dave.

Majestic

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 06:04:18 pm »
People who say

You have missed a bit, dont forget the corners,  or sing when im cleaning windows

geefree

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 06:08:02 pm »
also people who say .. hmm nice van.. what do you do... i say w/c,  ... they say what ?... window cleaner with a van like that...?.... like i should have a banger and be on my arse?!!... it also makes me lose confidence thinking i will never make decent money in w/c. :'( :'( :'(

Pj

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 06:08:11 pm »
"You'll make it rain!" >:( >:( >:(

window pain

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 06:22:28 pm »
crocodiles in garden ponds.

busydaffodil

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 06:33:15 pm »

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 07:32:51 pm »
I hate whistlers too. >:(

macmac

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 07:48:12 pm »
customers that say- OOOOOOHH, IS THAT A MONTH ALREADY?? dosn't seem like 2 minutes since you were last here. when what they realy mean is mmmmmmmmmmmm, well, they're not that dirty, maybe you could miss them this time, its getting a bit too expensive this 7 quid a month lark. ???

you know the ones?

rugby

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 10:04:37 pm »
customers who forget to unlock their gates even when i phone to remind them

Helen

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 02:50:15 pm »
Potential customers who say you will be regular and reliable won't you? and after the 5th clean, say "I didn't think you would keep coming back!!! ???

dave0123

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 03:49:24 pm »
I hate it when you turn up in your van unload get 2 work people are obv inside come out and pay you before its finished :) then dont unlock there gates for you? ??? they no full well there locked with padlock's so then u have to wait till its opened only takes a few mins but its a pain.

Dave
Dave.

fishman

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 03:55:40 pm »
Security lights right where you should pitch your ladders, then you have to pitch twice, I REALLY HATE THAT!!!!!

007 or what

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 06:09:15 pm »
wheelie bins...............the hose always always gets caught on the wheels arrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 06:56:53 pm »
wheelie bins...............the hose always always gets caught on the wheels arrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Thats one of my pet hates too!!!

gsw

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 07:04:41 pm »
cat poo

EasyClean

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 07:37:15 pm »
I clean all ranges of houses from the run down estates to the posh millionaire streets and the ones who annoy me the most are the ones who are 3 steps up from poverty who think they rule the world and are more educated than us window cleaners. Little do most of them know I have City & Guilds in 2 trades to fall back on should I need to and a University education.  I treat all of them in the same mannerism they treat me but respectfully as I try to be professional.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 08:24:15 pm »
Me: £25 Pounds please.

Customer: That was quick

Me: Thank you. It was wasn't it. I impress myself sometimes; but if I can impress customers too...   8)

I had to smile at this because I did something similar.  Someone said to me "That was quick".  and I replied "Yes.  I'm getting quite good at this."  She enjoyed the joke with me though.

brett walker

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 10:54:56 pm »
all the above  :'( ::) >:(

brett

brett walker

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 11:03:24 pm »
I used to do a house the bloke next door was always in his garden whistleing  im sure he used to do it to wind me up, >:( but it was always the same silly tune. :'(  So i used to start whistleing when he did  but i could not beat him after 15yrs i sold the work on this is not a joke

I heard of whistleing while you work  ;D

but not all your life  :P

Brett

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 08:17:53 pm »
rose bushes in front of the windows, especially when they are too close to them! i just seem to manage to catch part of my scrim on a thorn, try and pull it away but manage to get more of the scrim stuck and basically end up ripping holes in it >:( >:( >:( >:(
when I'm cleaning windows

jeff1

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 08:47:12 pm »
Birds S*****g on the window when I have just finished it. ::)

pylofm

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 09:36:22 pm »
Going to a quotation and giving price then having to sit their and listen to "the last window cleaner used to do it way cheaper and did it on saturdays as it was not his real job'...can you do it cheaper....

Times wasters....

Helen

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 01:16:42 pm »
Pylo, just had one this morning and it was all I could do not to laugh and say "how much???"  Usual story, my old wc has not been for a while (probably 5 months with the state of the windows!). So as always, ask for the business name of the "old one" and how much were you paying? If the "ole one" is  a bonifide wc then that gives a good idea what the area is prepared to pay. If it is below our price guide, then there is no point in taking them on. Also you can get hold of the "ole one" and find out why they haven't gone back ;)
Answer from lady.... his name is Dean!!! and i don't have a number to get hold of him!!! he charged me £12 per month. Swallow the laughter and clear my throat. Ah, Mrs (not to be )customer, I would charge £12 for the fronts and this porch area only, would you like me to carry on? Oh... yes please.
Fine, but you ain't gonna like it lady!!! £20.00 plus vat was the answer.Once i picked her off the floor, she asked why so dear and I explained that this is the going rate for this sort of property in this area and I suspect that Dean didn't come back as he realised he had underpriced and didn't like to say so. She said she will phone.....bet she doesn't. ;D

Richy L

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 03:39:42 pm »
I was speaking to one of my customers the other day, and she just kept repeating the last word i said every sentance.
for example:
Me: ... Yeah the weathers not that great at the momnent ?
her... moment

Me:.. Still, need to be working in all weather!
her ... Weathers .. yeah. Do you have many to do today?

Me: Yeah a few left, about six houses left for the day then im off home
her: .. home

I know its not much, but it was litterally every sentance i said! Just bugged me!

Helen

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2006, 05:32:04 pm »
buy her one of those mimicking parrot toys...that could be fun ;D ;D ;D

Helen

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 05:35:41 pm »
exactly ;D ;D ;D ;D

dai

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 09:56:18 pm »
Car and burglar alarms do my head in. I do Conwy Marina, most are holiday homes and the bloody alarms go off for hours at a time.
When I hear car alarms going off, I'm thinking, for Gods sake steal the bloody thing and sod off. DAI

Filllllll

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 10:57:53 pm »
When the customer walks out the door,says hello,gets in the car,drives off and hasn't paid.

When the Suns beating down at the height of summer and its midday and the mouth tastes like a Turkish wrestlers armpit & the customer says "you must be hot working in this heat" and doesn't think to offer you a cold drink.

When its freezing cold & the customer says "you must be frozen working in this cold weather" and doesn't think to offer you a hot drink.

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 11:03:23 pm »
When the Suns beating down at the height of summer and its midday and the mouth tastes like a Turkish wrestlers armpit & the customer says "you must be hot working in this heat" and doesn't think to offer you a cold drink.

When its freezing cold & the customer says "you must be frozen working in this cold weather" and doesn't think to offer you a hot drink.

You can buy these magic flasks that can distinguish between gazpatcho and consomme soup!

That's sort your last two problems out! ;D

macc

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2006, 11:41:23 pm »
"You'll make it rain!" >:( >:( >:(

Yep, that gets right up my nose

craig jwc

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 12:18:37 am »
People who call you back telling you the windows haven't come up as good as last time.
You go back and find it's the insides that they've tried to clean.
Had one a couple of weeks ago and ended up cleaning her downstairs windows inside to prove to her.
She then says she feels such a fool for wasting my time and gives me a Milky Way for the trouble ::)

Craig

TVCS

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 08:48:40 am »
When you get to a house,  Ask the owner if the van is ok where it is parked.  yes thats fine they reply.
You get your hoses sorted out and you are just cleaning the first window and they say "Could you move your van as I'm off to the shops?"

Or the nice ones that offer you a cup of tea as soon as you arrive but bring it out to you when you have finishes and are keen to get on to the next house.

The ones I love to hate are the people who say "Now you use that pole it only takes you half the time, so I should only pay you half the money."

I reply " if it took me three times longer would you pay me three times more?"  They always just give a very weak smile and wander off.

And the local road sweeper who has the same things to say every day.
him " How's it going mon?"
me  " Not bad cheers, and you?"
him "Not bad and you?"   and it goes on like this till I give in
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 09:13:10 am »
When you get to a house,  Ask the owner if the van is ok where it is parked.  yes thats fine they reply.
You get your hoses sorted out and you are just cleaning the first window and they say "Could you move your van as I'm off to the shops?"

Or the nice ones that offer you a cup of tea as soon as you arrive but bring it out to you when you have finishes and are keen to get on to the next house.

The ones I love to hate are the people who say "Now you use that pole it only takes you half the time, so I should only pay you half the money."

I reply " if it took me three times longer would you pay me three times more?"  They always just give a very weak smile and wander off.

And the local road sweeper who has the same things to say every day.
him " How's it going mon?"
me  " Not bad cheers, and you?"
him "Not bad and you?"   and it goes on like this till I give in

With the ones who say about it taking less time I just tell them that my overheads are now very much higher.  I don't go into details though.
Some people just don't seem to appreciate that with WFP, window cleaning is not as closely related to "time taken" as it used to be with ladders and lower overheads.
The hourly rate I charge works out much higher now but the customer doesn't actually pay any more because I usually get the work done more quickly.