Does anyone use a trailer for their WFP paraphanalia?
« on: August 25, 2005, 09:31:55 pm »
I'm close to getting a WFP set up but dithering about what exactly I should get.

A van mounted system is out of the question as my round is mainly residential, with many properties with awkward access.  And I can't afford one either!

Originally, I thought about just doing the 1st floor with WFP and ground floor traditionally.  My main concern was my carrying capacity of pure water, but I'd like to have the option to clean 'the lot' by WFP.

I'm considering a trolley system, supplemented with a cleantech backpack and using a trailer to put all the water jerry-cans, trolley, poles etc in.

Does anyone here work using a trailer?  What considerations must I consider? 

Oh, I hold my driving cat C + E (HGV 1), so driving the thing isn't a problem.  (Reversing might be though).

Re: Does anyone use a trailer for their WFP paraphanalia?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 10:09:12 pm »
Graham,

I was thinking more about 300 or 400 ltrs!

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 10:19:15 pm »
tosh,

we have just finished our DOMI trailer system will be uploading full pics to our website in the next week or so its a box trailer with a 400ltr tank di purification method with the idea that you can add a static ro at home later the trailer has a payload of 520kgs and a gross weight of 750kgs the trailer can be towed by allmost any vehicle and is easily manouverable by one person,

theres more info and spec regarding the DOMI on our website have a look it might be what your looking for!

www.skypolesystems.com

or email us at

skypoleinfo@fsmail.net

regards,
stuart@skypole

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 10:56:36 pm »
Thanks for the info, Stuart, but I'm on a tight budget.  I reckon I can get a tow hook fitted for around £100 and I've seen a 6' by 4' trailer for £70.

I've priced a few trailer systems, and I think I can do similar myself for a fraction of the cost.

If I had the money though, I would buy outright to save the hassle.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 11:11:07 pm »
Tosh - I use Peter Fogwill's trolley system and I carry 200 litres (8 x 25litre) in the estate plus trolley and leisure battery (along with my trad stuff too.) (I could carry 250litres if I really needed to.)

Weighing up the options my next step is definitely a trailer plus battery, pump and 50 mtr hose  to carry about an extra 250 litres soley for when I do large commercials on top of my residential. (At the moment I do my commercials then go home and re-fill barrels from the water butt at lunch time)

In a typical residential day my 200 litres are gone by about 1pm if I do tops and bottoms, or 3pm if I do bottoms traditionally. So when I get to the last couple of barrels I often switch to "tops only" wfp to make the water last.

I reckon you could use the advice on this forum to make a similar system for under a £1000 although personally I've found Peter's advice invaluable so I'm glad I spent the extra few hundred.

If you haven't got an estate or the prospect of getting one then a trailer is even more the way to go IMO. A 300kg Halford's type will let you carry 275 litres plus battery and pump and you've still got room in your car.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 11:18:06 pm »
Cheers, Malc, that's just the sort of advice I was after.

Spot on mate.  That's a beer I owe you!

matt

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 11:30:45 pm »
Tosh, Im about to build a trailer system for some1

its going to be based on the cheapest trailer halfords do, and fit a small tank in it with all the "stuff"

when i get it done i will take a few pics if the guy doesnt mind ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 11:32:27 pm »
The Boat Inn at Redbrook on the A466 serves some awesome pints I hear!
And The Sloop at Llandogo's OK too!
It's a game of three halves!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 11:53:13 pm »
its going to be based on the cheapest trailer halfords do, and fit a small tank in it with all the "stuff"
Oh dear, not their "Erde" trailer I hope.
My mate used to work for Halfords and he says they're seriously unstable at times. :o

Top pub!

matt

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 08:47:58 am »
Oh dear, not their "Erde" trailer I hope.
My mate used to work for Halfords and he says they're seriously unstable at times. :o

i dont know what the type is, i know he said "the smallest and cheapest Halfords do" to which i replied "you may only get a small tank in it then" he knows the score, small trailer equals small tank

;)

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 12:22:36 pm »
I've just been googling for a Halford's Trailer but they don't seem to do them!

Am I looking in the right place?

http://www.halfords.com/ourproducts.asp?root=1&id=18#18

A small trailer sounds ideal to me because they take some practice reversing.

At times, the professional I am, I found it easier to un-hitch a trailer and manouvre it by brute strength and ignorance.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 12:26:54 pm »
Tosh, Im about to build a trailer system for some1

when i get it done i will take a few pics if the guy doesnt mind ;)

That'd be great Matt, but I think I'll just use it as a load carrying device; than a 'water tank on wheels' if you know what I mean.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 12:28:33 pm »
And The Sloop at Llandogo's OK too!

I'm a foreigner in these parts.  Only been here about 3 years, so don't know the area very well.  What about the Two Brewers in Chepstow?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 12:40:55 pm »
I'm a foreigner in these parts. Only been here about 3 years, so don't know the area very well. What about the Two Brewers in Chepstow?
Oh dear. :-\

Good for football or fights.

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 12:51:44 pm »
I'm a foreigner in these parts. Only been here about 3 years, so don't know the area very well. What about the Two Brewers in Chepstow?

Roger,

Why aren't you working?  I've been out this morning and I'm meant to be packing for a long weekend to Sommerset.

The weather is perfect here.  What's your excuse?

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 01:16:30 pm »

Roger,

That's why I like the pub!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 05:31:49 pm »
Roger,

Why aren't you working? I've been out this morning and I'm meant to be packing for a long weekend to Sommerset.

The weather is perfect here. What's your excuse?
It's friday mate.

Half day for me, should be for everyone, that's the whole point of being self-employed.

Just come back from a nightmare busy golf course though. Should have stayed at work! ::)

wazzz

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 01:00:37 am »
hi tosh

just "upgraded" from the small halfords trailer . Its pay load is just to small. about 245kg , so only allows about 200l of water after you add the weight of your other equipment.

i am rubbish at revesring!! ..but the smaller the trailer the harder it is .

used to use jerry cans only , but now aslo have 2 times 125l tanks ( wydale plastics ltd  , very good prices on all size tanks ) and upgraded to 70l trolly .

my work sounds similar to yours / res and am doing upstairs wfp and some down , wife does some down staies trad method .

dont know what car you have but check what its legal tow weight is for an un braked trailer .

go for biggest you can to aviod having to upgrade ... cheaper in the long run.

something to think about is , where will you park over night ?. i dont have a garage so will have to think about insulation issues in winter time to avoid water frezz.

also security issues have to be addressed . hope i ant being negative ...just trying to get you to see all the possabile problems so you can avoid getting the wrong set up ...( like me !)

hope it goes well for ya

UBA1

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2005, 08:35:37 am »
I`ve just gone from trailer to van mount. Mainly changed due to increase in commercial work. However vans are great for domestic too, and you can get set up cheaper han you think!

My van mount came to about £1000. That is not including speedlining or the bolting down of the tank, that`s an extra £450. T
The rest i`ll do.

I`ve just sold a trailer for £950, includes leisure battery, pump (varistream contrlloer), 400litre baffled tank.

If you do van mount, you can apply protective bed liner yourself, but get somebody with a industrial drill to mount the tank though.

UBA1

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2005, 08:38:13 am »
Tosh, try this link...

Includes payload capacity too...

http://trailers.co.uk/sections/general/smallgeneral.php