Doug_Redfarn

WFP Kit-Build your own or buy off the shelf?
« on: August 24, 2004, 09:39:31 am »
Has anyone who uses WFP done this? Would it save money to buy the separate items, like RO unit, 1000ltr tank, decent poles from individual firms etc, or, just go to a supplier & get the whole thing off the shelf?

I only say this because when you study all the various adverts & websites, a lot of the kit looks very similar. I cant help thinking that some of these companies are doing exactly this, all using the same core items & putting on their own labels & charging their respective markup.

I do realise that some firms are making their own poles, but again, surely the core material, like the lightweight CF poles are all coming from the same supplier, I think who are based in Norway or somewhere closeby?

Thoughts please!

Philip Hanson

Re: WFP Kit-Build your own or buy off the shelf?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 02:36:05 am »
Hi there Doug,

I built my own system with different things from different suppliers.  I would not recommend it however.

I thought it would be a cheaper alternative, but in the long if I'm honest about it, it has NOT been any cheaper.  Also there have been many times when I have encountered problems "on the job" and that is embarassing in front of customers, especially commercial.  Also, even after it was "finished" it was many months before I had ironed out some of the problems.

Also, I am now finding that there are limitations to my system which will be impossible to overcome.  I will soon ditch the whole lot and buy one off the shelf and have it professionally installed.

One advantage is that if something goes wrong or needs replacing, you will know exactly how to do it since you made the system.

One thing that has changed my mind is worrying about the security of a "home fitted" system.  If I had a crash in my van, I might be seriously injured.  I want one thats not going to crush me if I am unfortunate enough to crash.

Just my opinion though!

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

sham33

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 07:22:57 pm »
I built my own the first time around but next time im buying a 3k machine off pure20 if i find wfp's are worth using.

matt

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 10:37:42 pm »
i built my own, and i belive i saved a load of money

Unger Pole and angle neck --- 70

Trolley, pump box, brush and 12 containers -- 400

100 gal RO with DI --- 100

water butt to store water --- 25 (soon to be doubled in size)

hosepipe and reel and 5 mm pipe and connections --- 30

total cost --- 625 quid

sure the Unger pole isnt the lightest, the RO is only 100 Gal a day, its on 24 hours a day and does the job, we use it for 8 hours work a day, 4 days a week

all the other bits are the same as every1 else uses