Steve. Taylor

New here - web advice
« on: January 09, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »
HI all new here my partner & I have been in  domestic cleaning for 10 years now doing ok have been cleaning carpets for 6 years done course with prochem machine i use is the powerplus back up machine numatic ctd 572 great little spotter. And getting up stairs when doing flats, as i say most of are work is domestic cleaning and property maintenance a freind of mine has been going on for years about doing a web site for me and finaly got round to it over the new year done as a favour for cleaning all his carpets in his 3 bed semi my question is when i type it in google cant find it he told me it takes time not very good on computers taken me 30 minutes to write this  dont say anything so my question is advice please regards steve www.customcleaners.co.uk
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Re: New here - web advice
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 08:59:49 pm »
I'm no website expert but one of the programmes I use to check my website has shown up the following. The guy might have built you a website but without completing all the points below (and I noticed other faults) it will never show up via a search engine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Title relevancy to page content is very poor.
The Title relevancy to page content is 40%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description: Found no description meta tag.
The description meta tag is used by most of the search engines. Consider adding a description meta tag.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Found no keywords meta tag.
The keyword meta tag is still used by many search engines. Consider adding a keyword meta tag.

Robots: Found no robots meta tag.
This tag is not really required but helps spiders to index the web page.

Author: Found
no author meta tag.
This tag is not really required but helps for your (company) name recognition. 

davep

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:02:52 pm »
Seo is search engine optimisation Steve, its all well having a site but it needs working on to get it found when people do a Google search. 

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:04:08 pm »
SEO - Search Engine Optimise
The points I mentioned in the above posting.
So you're going to need to include the sort of words that customers would 'probably' put into a search engine to find something.

davep

Joe H

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 07:42:17 am »
Whats been said is correct Steve.
Anyone can do a website - you or I could, doesnt take much with the right software.
But you and I - and probably your mate by the sound of it - do not know how to get it ranked with the search engines.

He is right it takes time to get up the pages on say Google, but if its not optimised the way the search engines rank the pages, then it wont go anywhere.

Email me again if you want (glad to see you introduced yourself) and I will give you a contact for the business that did my website www.wigancarpetcleaning.co.uk  It ranks highly on google for the search words I think potential customers use.

A quick tip - I find customers will search for carpet cleaning (your town)  or house cleaning (your town).  Your town, or county, or locality (get the meaning)  has to feature .

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 08:22:45 am »
Your friend has done you no favours with that website, its  very amateurish

here's 2 people who can do the job properly,

http://carpetcleaningwebsites.co.uk/

http://www.cornwallwebdesigns.co.uk/

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Pristine Clean

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 08:51:21 am »
Hi Steve,

Do you own Reptile Connections?

Did you build that website or did your friend build it?

Do you have access for customercleaners to alter the design/layout either by a control panel or by FTP Access?

If so I could inform you how to add the SEO.

Although I agree with Mike that the job could be done properly if you pay the two companies mentioned, you could also save money by doing it yourself with a little help from people who know what is wrong and are able to alter the SEO.

Let me know if you have access to alter your site.

regards

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 09:05:11 am »
people can save money by hiring rugdoctors instead of professional carpet cleaners then they can come on here and ask for a little help,

whats would we say to them? why do we think web design is any different?

I built my own truckmount instead of going to the professionals because it saved about 10 grand, if it was only going to save me £200 I wouldn't have bothered.

spending ages doing a mediocre website to save a small amount of money just seems daft to me

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Phild

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 11:23:31 am »
Hi Steve, here is a freebie report which may help you a bit. It's just something I have pulled from one of the marketing resources I use so it's up to you to judge it's value but you obviously need to fill a few knowledge gaps in. .... which is what this forum is about. Best of luck.

http://www.hitmanadvertising.com/GoogleTipsReport.pdf

Phild

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 05:16:33 pm »
Whoa !!!!!!!!!!  Rise above it Steve. When you let people make you feel like you obviously do feel as you wrote that comment, you've let them win.

Just let it go.

The best thing to do is do what your trying to do - concentrate on building the best possible business. Believe me, what goes around comes around and then you will have the last laugh. And don't forget that's the longest one ;-)