Mike Roper

get that glide back on !
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:16:12 pm »
After Stu Clarke posted on the other channel that he thought he got better drying times when he took his glide off I thought I would give it ago today on some axminster. Oh my goodness! what a difference ,thats hard work , my back was killing me. I dont care if drying times are slightly longer the glides going back on !
By the way I run a Speedster & the glide is a hybrid one I got from Matt about 10 months ago.
Mike

Joe H

Re: get that glide back on !
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:45:26 pm »
Cmon Mike - get that back bent.
Its only muscles aching that havent been used for a bit.
You soon get used to it  :D

Jason Hedges

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:51:44 pm »
Mike,

Glides are supposed to make it easier moving the wand across the carpet (hence the name) and improve drying times because of the increased airflow allowing more solution recovery.

Having the wand stuck hard on the carpet restricts the airflow and makes it very hard work as you, I and many well know.

All the best,
Jason.

Mike Roper

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:05:14 pm »
I know what glides are and how wands work , I've been cleaning carpets for 19 yrs,its just that you forget how much harder it was to clean without a glide, although I used lower powered porties ie powermax's etc before the speedster so didnt need one.
For me ,and my back, it makes alot of sense to use a glide!
Mike

mark shannon

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:12:39 pm »
Exactly by far the biggest glide benefit, is  the health benefit,   also you can clean longer without fatigue.

These IMO far outweigh any shortcomings as i near mid 40s.

Mark

Jason Hedges

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:15:21 pm »
Hi Mike,

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was however commenting on your original statement about someone saying they achieved better drying times without a glide. I cant understand how ???

All the best,
Jason.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:21:50 pm »
Information on greenglides website: http://greenglides.com/aboutglides.php

- Makes the wand glide dramatically easier over all types of flooring surfaces.
- Significantly reduces operator fatigue and stress injuries. It is literally easy to push the wand with one hand.
- Leaves the carpet drier and thus cleaner than an unglided wand.
- Eliminates the marring of baseboards, furnishings and hard floors that unglided wands can leave, it converts your carpet cleaning wand or rotary machine into an effective and ergonomic tile and hard surface cleaning tool..
- Eradicates the streaking and pile distortion common to many low profile, multi-jet wands.
- Makes "wand hop" or "chattering" a thing of the past..
- Cleans the finest, most delicate surfaces gently and thoroughly without the fear of distorting, damaging, or leaving the surface overwet.
- Works on any water-safe hard surface floors and concrete as well.
- Allows any size operator to use the same wand, as it self-compensates for taller or shorter operators.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:29:06 pm »

These IMO far outweigh any shortcomings as i near mid 40s.

Mark

Mark,

You dont look mid 40's on your picture, how old is it ;D

Andy Foster

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:45:56 am »

- Significantly reduces operator fatigue and stress injuries. It is literally easy to push the wand with one hand.
- Eliminates the marring of baseboards, furnishings and hard floors that unglided wands can leave, it converts your carpet cleaning wand or rotary machine into an effective and ergonomic tile and hard surface cleaning tool..
- Eradicates the streaking and pile distortion common to many low profile, multi-jet wands.
- Cleans the finest, most delicate surfaces gently and thoroughly without the fear of distorting, damaging, or leaving the surface overwet.
- Allows any size operator to use the same wand, as it self-compensates for taller or shorter operators.

Well they are not likely to say that it increases drying times are they!!!
If the manufacturer says they are good then they must be!!!
Surely it is better to take the word of an experienced colleague than the sales pitch of the company trying to get you to part with your money.
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just pointing out the obvious.

Andy

Jason Hedges

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:57:33 am »
Hi Andy,

I have used the same wands glided and un-glided on portables and a tm and prefer glided for ease of use and improved drying times. Cant undertand anyone using an un-glided wand unless it comes down to cost of the glide.

Just my honest opinion again. I prefer a wand with a glide to one without.

All the best,
Jason.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 06:52:24 am »

Well they are not likely to say that it increases drying times are they!!!
If the manufacturer says they are good then they must be!!!
Surely it is better to take the word of an experienced colleague than the sales pitch of the company trying to get you to part with your money.
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just pointing out the obvious.

Andy

andy your bang on the money i for one have dumped my glide one because it didnt last long three months and it was shot , and two the drying times are better with out it and trust be being only 4ft 10 and useing a t.m. it is not easy wanding

Neil Grainger

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:19:30 am »
How much for a bit of plastic, nearly fell over when I looked at the greenglides site.

*paul_moss

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 07:31:34 am »
Neil They are made out of Teflon not plastic. You pay for the design etc etc.

Susan was it a green glide as my first one is 2 years old and still going strong.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Joe H

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 07:45:23 am »
I think it was Mick Haliday a couple of weeks ago said something like - ususally whe you buy something, especially if it costs a few bob, you are likely to shout its praises cause mentally thats what you want from it - something better for the money you spent.

However, our fellow professional carpet cleaner that Mike Roper referred to (who funnilly enough is banned from this site - I cant believe it! ) has tried glides and decided to go back to without and it was HIS experiance the carpets were drying quicker without the glide.

Maybe our brains do to take us into the realm "I have spent all this money, the manufacturer said this about it, it must do it". But there again perhaps others have good sound proof that drying times are improved.
At the end of the day its one of those things - some do, some dont, some like em, some dont.

Its seems that one thing is agreed upon - they make carpet cleaning easier - I must try one.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 08:01:19 am »
Neil They are made out of Teflon not plastic. You pay for the design etc etc.

Susan was it a green glide as my first one is 2 years old and still going strong.

yes it was and what a pile of poop i dont mine saying it was 117 pounds down the drain,  i would rather work that little bit harder and leave the cust that little bit happyer

i also try a glide on a office job (tiles) on new years day so i had time to try things out

with a glide  on the wand , the carpets didnt look that clean , but useing just the wand it rip the filth right out of the tiles

*paul_moss

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 08:15:05 am »
Joe using a glide certainly makes it easier to clean, as regards drying im sure its more to do with wand technique, hence the post a few days ago asking some body to do a demo on the ccdo.

Susan I use a glide most of the time but on any low prifile carpet especially commercial and carpet tiles, I take the glide off cos as you say the wand works better with out it in that situation.
Also if your glide went kaput then Greenie will repalce free of charge if you mail him.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 08:24:32 am »
im happer wanding with out  it paul

however im looking forward with a open mind to the ccdo and hopeing to learn new things as you say it could be down to wanding

lands

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 09:18:50 am »
Susan, I'm with you, they are just a bunch of girlies ;D

spencer davies

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:57 am »
We use a wonder wand mostly these days, but I couldn't get on with our glide either, slower drying times and I got fed up with cuffing up those little bits of fluff-fibres that appear, I have read all of the blurb......but in practice it wasn't for us.

Best regards

S

stuart_clark

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:24 am »
When I purchased my Scorpian last November, I also purchased a 12" 4 jet westpac wand and a hybrid greenglide to suit, i imediatley found that wanding was a hell of a lot easier, but it diddn't pick up the fluff you normally get after using a sebo duo or other crb machine, I found that i was forever removing the cuff from the wand to pick up the fluff! about a month ago I removed the glide from the wand and i noticed that I was getting a much more thorough clean without it, yes its bloody hard work, but who ever said carpet cleaning was easy? I think if you are experienced with a wand and have good technique you should be able to get fast drying times and shouldn't need to rely on a piece of teflon!!

richie

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 11:59:40 am »
A friend of mine uses a glide,  he has a truckmount & a Eclipse porty.  He cleans lots of hotels and has to use the porty to clean the rooms & corridors.  Before he had a glide the drying times were around 2 -3 hours then he bought the glide & his drying times fell between 1 - 1 1/2 hours.  I then suggested he drops the use of 1 1/2" vac hose & use 2" vac hose,  his drying times are now below 1 hour.  The use of a glide has for sure decreased his drying times plus he is working quicker.  I do believe that it is down to your wand technique.  His drying times have also dropped when using his TM,  its not the most powerful TM but he is getting good dry times.

Richie.

stuart_clark

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 12:07:29 pm »
Jason, is that a Woodbridge Truckmount I see on your website?

Mike Roper

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »
That was one of the first things I noticed with a glide on , it wont pick up any fluff left behind after agitation which you get even after a thorough vac. You cant use the wand for scrubbing if thats your style.
But again for me the pros for the glide far outway the cons ie ease of use , less fatigue.My glide was about £50 I seem to recall.
Its strange that theres so much difference in opinions on this subject which just shows whether its machines , chems, suppliers or whatever at the end of the day its what suites you!

Mike

benny d

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 08:40:56 pm »
I'm after a glide for my wand. The greenglide site looks as though its in America? Those that have them, where did you purchase your glide over here as I want to get one asap.
Thanks
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

mark shannon

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 08:42:36 pm »
HYDROMASTER sell Greenglides 08707 666 998

benny d

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 08:46:34 pm »
Cheers Mark. ;)
Did you buy a Glide wand, or attach a Teflon attachment to the bottom of your existing wand?
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

mark shannon

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 08:49:29 pm »
ORIGINALY BOUGHT A GLIDE FOR MY 1.5" WESTPAC BUT MORE RECENTLY BOUGHT A GLIDED  GREENHORN WAND.

carpet guy

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 09:12:44 pm »
Seems to me, the industry could do with some investment in tool design, surely a well designed tool should function properly without the need to add bits of plastic, nylon, teflon.

Len Gribble

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 09:45:59 pm »
Easy of use yes! But find they can and do block up (don’t have the green ones) am I doing some thing wrong? :D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

spindle

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 09:53:43 pm »
do you pre vac len ;) ;) ;) ;D
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

stuart_clark

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 10:22:17 pm »
I have a 1.75" Westpac coupled with a Scorpion which I have used for nearly six months. I fitted the wand with a Hybrid greenguide from day one and it made carpet cleaning so easy, I took off the glide about six weeks ago and thought at the time I was getting a better clean and obviously was able to pick up the fluff, but IMO the carpets were not left as dry without the glide, I have been cleaning  for just over fifteen years so you would think I would have the right wand technique by now!
I have today replaced the glide but really not sure about the thoroughness of the clean without it but at my age I need less fatigue

Len Gribble

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 10:37:13 pm »
Chris

Yes  :D but how do I post vac after agitation? Wet vac? Pop round tomorrow am sure I will save you a few quid.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

spindle

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 01:03:09 pm »
thanks for your offer len much appriecated :)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 08:40:20 pm »
Robert you sound like an old fart!

Why add a motor to that carriage the horses will pull it fine.

Shaun

*paul_moss

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 08:49:29 pm »
Len after agitation I post vac with the suction hose getting all the fluff off the carpet before attaching the wand to xtract ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 09:25:56 pm »
Did I ever mention that I was teh first person in the UK to get a glide?

Shaun

elliott cleaning

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 09:28:07 pm »
I never knew that, but then I lead a very sheltered life

Len Gribble

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 10:28:17 pm »
Paul

Sounds like hard work get an attachment, ;) then pre-spay again

Shaun has a lot to answer for! Must be reeling it in with royalties from sales. ???

Len 

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 10:51:20 pm »
I missed an oportunity there Len!

I'd have been laughing all the way to the mattress ;D

Shaun

Jeff Lydon/Greenie

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 01:41:27 am »
About every 6 months we get a good glide thread rolling.

Let me try and help a bit.

First off I must say, you guys are ALL salesmen, so lets get that out of the way, I cleaned with my stuff before I made it for others, I'm well aware if what it can do and what it can not.

A proper fit is ESSENTIAL to the glide working well. a leak is just that....a leak, so fix it.

It IS a bar of teflon, if you are a rug scrubber, you will NOT scrub a spot out with a bar of teflon, so you had better look for agitation somewhere else in your system.

If you use a Sebo duo or other scrubber and do not want to run around chasing ghost turds with your 2" hose, then buy a SLOT glide.

If you rely on the steel lips of the wand for agitation, it's time to get out of the dark ages, it's not doing much and certainly isn't worth the effort. Vacuum = agitation not polished stainless steel, it's why a TruckMount "scrubs" harder than a porty.

Since you can pick up more water, use more water, this is one way to get back some agitation, that and some higher pressure (on some wands) will do just that, you might be amazed what 600-700 psi can do at the right angle, plus it will rinse better and you will clean faster and have a net drier carpet.

If you can push your wand easily as is, you probably have weak vacuum and should probably address that before investing into a glide.

When I come out in Aug. for HydraMasters shin dig you can tell me all about your negative glide experiences and I will try and help.

All Genuine GreenGlides have a 1 year wear warranty and an iron clad no questions asked 6mo. replacement against breakage guarantee.

Paul Kettless

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 09:10:51 am »
I do not think that using glides should be based on how dry you leave a carpet, but on the reduced stress and fatigue that we put on our bodies.  For this alone, they are worth there weight in gold.

However, I use a wonderwand with my speedster and am more than happy with the overall performance.  I always carry dryers on ther van and use them whenever practically possible.  So many seem not to use them nowadays.
Complete Cleaning "you really can tell the difference"

*paul_moss

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 09:23:16 am »
I always tell my customers that the carpets will take up to 8 hours to dry and not to use them as much as possible until that time is up. I tell them they may feel dry after a couple of hours but they are not and try to stay off them for the full 8 hour. In the real world this is often not the case and they are using them in a couple of hours, and certain areas like H/S/L they have no choice.
I always use a glide on my wands, I dont care if I have the best wand tech or the worst tech or if they dry quicker, I just know it makes life much easier and the job far more enjoyable using one.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

mark shannon

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 08:17:33 pm »
II always use a glide on my wands, I dont care if I have the best wand tech or the worst tech or if they dry quicker, I just know it makes life much easier and the job far more enjoyable using one.

Agree with you 100% Paul took mine off today, first time in ages, absolutely shagged out after half hour.  :P

Glides are a massive health benefit  :)

spindle

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 07:16:09 pm »
never had a glide .........so dont know what i am missing.........

although len has offered to lend me his........

pansies.......scared of pushing a wand around with out glides....you guys must be sooooooooo out of shape ;) ;) ;D

mark shannon

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2008, 07:54:14 pm »
Spindle

A Glide is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

carpet guy

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2008, 09:24:51 pm »
Bit like farting, eh Shaun ?     Read my post again, what's wrong with the comment?

If there was a well engineered wand that incorporated metal skids or glides to make it easier for the weaker among you and increase air flow there would be no need for expensive add ons.

Surely not asking too much.

rob

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2008, 09:37:15 pm »
Adding bits on is called progression or Evolution (did you like that link?)

Image your lady wife with out her 'rounded bit' wouldn't be the same would it?

Shaun

elliott cleaning

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2008, 09:37:54 pm »
Spindle

A glide needs to be specific to your particular wand.  Borrowing someone elses glide, who might have a different wand is a complete waste of time.

If you are cleaning one carpet a day, then fine, you probably don't need a glide.  If you clean carpets 9- 5, 5/6 days a week, then not only will a glide lengthen your professional life but your clients will also benefit from reduced drying times

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2008, 09:42:54 pm »
My carpets definately aren't as dry as they were before i got the glide also i now get plumes of steam behind my wand were as before i could manage it by producing airflow at the back lip to suck it all up as i was wanding.

That being said though, the glide will be staying firmly in place simply because it is soooooo much easier!

Cheers Goron

elliott cleaning

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2008, 09:54:37 pm »
OK, Carpet Knights.  Maybe this is a bit of  physics, but what is it that is different now that you have a glide attached.  Agreed, it is easier to push & pull the darn thing, but why would it be less effective in sucking?  Are you using holed/hybrid or slotted?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2008, 10:27:16 pm »
Don't forget your jets will be higher off the carpet than they were originally set so you will get the steam puthering out because you are introducing hot water to more air.

Regards the drying, I belive that glides give you a lazy wand technique, before Xmas I looked at mine and the strokes were longer and I wasn't get the retrieval I should also because you are rinsing you can't use the wand lips to scrub so you do tend to rinse more to disolve more soild therefore put more water down.

Shaun

elliott cleaning

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2008, 10:39:33 pm »
As Shaun says, if you rinse more that is no bad thing.  The more you flush the more dirt you remove from the carpet always providing that you have the suck.   " Lazy wand technique"!  Wherever I look I keep coming across the term "wand action/technique". What a great mystical term which keeps cropping up but nobody seems to be able to put a concrete description to

carpet guy

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2008, 11:56:03 pm »
Never had any complaints about my wand technique

spindle

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2008, 02:53:36 pm »
Spindle

A glide needs to be specific to your particular wand.  Borrowing someone elses glide, who might have a different wand is a complete waste of time.

If you are cleaning one carpet a day, then fine, you probably don't need a glide.  If you clean carpets 9- 5, 5/6 days a week, then not only will a glide lengthen your professional life but your clients will also benefit from reduced drying times

i have an identical wand to len  so i think it would work ;D

i dont clean 9-5 5/6 day pw but if i did i would consider buying 1...maybe ;)

Jeff Lydon/Greenie

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2008, 04:14:17 am »
Goron, you must have a small leak, put some sealer on it and you will be fine.
I say a small leak cause if it was a serious leak you'd be leaving carpets sopping wet and you would have ripped that glide of straight away.

btw: which model do you have, holes, slots, or hybrid?