Mike Roper

get that glide back on !
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:16:12 pm »
After Stu Clarke posted on the other channel that he thought he got better drying times when he took his glide off I thought I would give it ago today on some axminster. Oh my goodness! what a difference ,thats hard work , my back was killing me. I dont care if drying times are slightly longer the glides going back on !
By the way I run a Speedster & the glide is a hybrid one I got from Matt about 10 months ago.
Mike

Joe H

Re: get that glide back on !
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:45:26 pm »
Cmon Mike - get that back bent.
Its only muscles aching that havent been used for a bit.
You soon get used to it  :D

Jason Hedges

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:51:44 pm »
Mike,

Glides are supposed to make it easier moving the wand across the carpet (hence the name) and improve drying times because of the increased airflow allowing more solution recovery.

Having the wand stuck hard on the carpet restricts the airflow and makes it very hard work as you, I and many well know.

All the best,
Jason.

Mike Roper

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:05:14 pm »
I know what glides are and how wands work , I've been cleaning carpets for 19 yrs,its just that you forget how much harder it was to clean without a glide, although I used lower powered porties ie powermax's etc before the speedster so didnt need one.
For me ,and my back, it makes alot of sense to use a glide!
Mike

mark shannon

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:12:39 pm »
Exactly by far the biggest glide benefit, is  the health benefit,   also you can clean longer without fatigue.

These IMO far outweigh any shortcomings as i near mid 40s.

Mark

Jason Hedges

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:15:21 pm »
Hi Mike,

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was however commenting on your original statement about someone saying they achieved better drying times without a glide. I cant understand how ???

All the best,
Jason.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:21:50 pm »
Information on greenglides website: http://greenglides.com/aboutglides.php

- Makes the wand glide dramatically easier over all types of flooring surfaces.
- Significantly reduces operator fatigue and stress injuries. It is literally easy to push the wand with one hand.
- Leaves the carpet drier and thus cleaner than an unglided wand.
- Eliminates the marring of baseboards, furnishings and hard floors that unglided wands can leave, it converts your carpet cleaning wand or rotary machine into an effective and ergonomic tile and hard surface cleaning tool..
- Eradicates the streaking and pile distortion common to many low profile, multi-jet wands.
- Makes "wand hop" or "chattering" a thing of the past..
- Cleans the finest, most delicate surfaces gently and thoroughly without the fear of distorting, damaging, or leaving the surface overwet.
- Works on any water-safe hard surface floors and concrete as well.
- Allows any size operator to use the same wand, as it self-compensates for taller or shorter operators.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:29:06 pm »

These IMO far outweigh any shortcomings as i near mid 40s.

Mark

Mark,

You dont look mid 40's on your picture, how old is it ;D

Andy Foster

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:45:56 am »

- Significantly reduces operator fatigue and stress injuries. It is literally easy to push the wand with one hand.
- Eliminates the marring of baseboards, furnishings and hard floors that unglided wands can leave, it converts your carpet cleaning wand or rotary machine into an effective and ergonomic tile and hard surface cleaning tool..
- Eradicates the streaking and pile distortion common to many low profile, multi-jet wands.
- Cleans the finest, most delicate surfaces gently and thoroughly without the fear of distorting, damaging, or leaving the surface overwet.
- Allows any size operator to use the same wand, as it self-compensates for taller or shorter operators.

Well they are not likely to say that it increases drying times are they!!!
If the manufacturer says they are good then they must be!!!
Surely it is better to take the word of an experienced colleague than the sales pitch of the company trying to get you to part with your money.
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just pointing out the obvious.

Andy

Jason Hedges

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:57:33 am »
Hi Andy,

I have used the same wands glided and un-glided on portables and a tm and prefer glided for ease of use and improved drying times. Cant undertand anyone using an un-glided wand unless it comes down to cost of the glide.

Just my honest opinion again. I prefer a wand with a glide to one without.

All the best,
Jason.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 06:52:24 am »

Well they are not likely to say that it increases drying times are they!!!
If the manufacturer says they are good then they must be!!!
Surely it is better to take the word of an experienced colleague than the sales pitch of the company trying to get you to part with your money.
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just pointing out the obvious.

Andy

andy your bang on the money i for one have dumped my glide one because it didnt last long three months and it was shot , and two the drying times are better with out it and trust be being only 4ft 10 and useing a t.m. it is not easy wanding

Neil Grainger

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:19:30 am »
How much for a bit of plastic, nearly fell over when I looked at the greenglides site.

*paul_moss

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 07:31:34 am »
Neil They are made out of Teflon not plastic. You pay for the design etc etc.

Susan was it a green glide as my first one is 2 years old and still going strong.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Joe H

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 07:45:23 am »
I think it was Mick Haliday a couple of weeks ago said something like - ususally whe you buy something, especially if it costs a few bob, you are likely to shout its praises cause mentally thats what you want from it - something better for the money you spent.

However, our fellow professional carpet cleaner that Mike Roper referred to (who funnilly enough is banned from this site - I cant believe it! ) has tried glides and decided to go back to without and it was HIS experiance the carpets were drying quicker without the glide.

Maybe our brains do to take us into the realm "I have spent all this money, the manufacturer said this about it, it must do it". But there again perhaps others have good sound proof that drying times are improved.
At the end of the day its one of those things - some do, some dont, some like em, some dont.

Its seems that one thing is agreed upon - they make carpet cleaning easier - I must try one.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 08:01:19 am »
Neil They are made out of Teflon not plastic. You pay for the design etc etc.

Susan was it a green glide as my first one is 2 years old and still going strong.

yes it was and what a pile of poop i dont mine saying it was 117 pounds down the drain,  i would rather work that little bit harder and leave the cust that little bit happyer

i also try a glide on a office job (tiles) on new years day so i had time to try things out

with a glide  on the wand , the carpets didnt look that clean , but useing just the wand it rip the filth right out of the tiles

*paul_moss

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 08:15:05 am »
Joe using a glide certainly makes it easier to clean, as regards drying im sure its more to do with wand technique, hence the post a few days ago asking some body to do a demo on the ccdo.

Susan I use a glide most of the time but on any low prifile carpet especially commercial and carpet tiles, I take the glide off cos as you say the wand works better with out it in that situation.
Also if your glide went kaput then Greenie will repalce free of charge if you mail him.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 08:24:32 am »
im happer wanding with out  it paul

however im looking forward with a open mind to the ccdo and hopeing to learn new things as you say it could be down to wanding

lands

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 09:18:50 am »
Susan, I'm with you, they are just a bunch of girlies ;D

spencer davies

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:57 am »
We use a wonder wand mostly these days, but I couldn't get on with our glide either, slower drying times and I got fed up with cuffing up those little bits of fluff-fibres that appear, I have read all of the blurb......but in practice it wasn't for us.

Best regards

S

stuart_clark

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:24 am »
When I purchased my Scorpian last November, I also purchased a 12" 4 jet westpac wand and a hybrid greenglide to suit, i imediatley found that wanding was a hell of a lot easier, but it diddn't pick up the fluff you normally get after using a sebo duo or other crb machine, I found that i was forever removing the cuff from the wand to pick up the fluff! about a month ago I removed the glide from the wand and i noticed that I was getting a much more thorough clean without it, yes its bloody hard work, but who ever said carpet cleaning was easy? I think if you are experienced with a wand and have good technique you should be able to get fast drying times and shouldn't need to rely on a piece of teflon!!