Jonny F

Is the economy getting better over there?
« on: December 08, 2010, 02:55:00 pm »
      "Happy Holidays" to my friends accross the pond! I have a general question, for those who have been in business a few years, do you feel the economy is getting better? Here in the US I'm starting to see a slight up-tick. I have a friend who owns a transportaion co here in the US and he thinks things have improved dramatically since late 2009, this could be a good indicator for our economy as a whole.

Jon Firari
Ultra Color Care Services
Spring Hill, TN 37174
IICRC Master Textile Cleaner
IICRC Senior Carpet Inspector
"Been in the business 15 years"

John Kelly

Re: Is the economy getting better over there?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:55:48 pm »
The difference between us is that you still have a government which is willing to pump money in to get things moving. Over here we have a government with a different way of thinking and are making massive cutbacks in spending. This won't kick in until the middle of next year. Talking to a lot of my customers and they tell me it is the quietest Xmas period they have ever had. A lot of things over here rely on the housing market and that is still at rock bottom with no signs of any recovery. So its a matter of wait and see. Personally I think things will get a lot worse before we see any major upturn.

Paul Heath

Re: Is the economy getting better over there?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:31:14 pm »
Have to agree with John...increase in VAT,Petrol,NI contibutions and that is all happening in Jan. Not a good start to the year. They have got some strange ideas like the private sector helping the public sector out....if they keep turning the screws there will be no private sector left.
They are trying to cut back too much too quickly...i think 2011 will be worse than 2010.
Have started to fill the mattress  ;D