dmckellar

Getting on builders tender lists? New
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:44:48 pm »
I run a company that does builders cleans - internal, external and high level.

At the moment i know the surveyor of the major housebuilder i work for, now i can tender more work through that company but now that i have got to grips with the project managing side of it and also all the work and effort that goes with it i feel i am ready to offer my services to all the other house builders within Scotland/North of England.

Is there any set way of getting on tender lists for the cleaning and if so, how to go about it? i am VAT registered etc with 2 vans and part time staff which i am looking to make into full time staff with a few different sites being visited at once.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

David McKellar
McKellar Contracts

Griffus

Re: getting on builders tender lists?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:54:32 pm »
Ring and write and then ring and write some more.

Find out who to speak to. Then ring and write some more.

H & S is a major consideration so get registered with CHAS or similar. Cuts through some red tape.

Getting approved is one thing, getting work is a million miles beyond. Getting work at the rate you expect, now there's the nut you want to crack. Indiana Jones would struggle with that quandary!

Keep at it, try and get in to meet people. Use existing contacts to gain intro's to new contacts.

Ring and write and then ring and write some more.

;D

Denise l

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »
Do you have a website? f so what is it called? You will need SafeContractor or Constructionline and robust Health & safety stuff to get through their questionaires.

redstarwindowcleaners

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:55:04 am »
the best way is to seek out the sites in your working area and stick your head in and leave your business card with the agent
a lot of the time the package is often no let until last minute
Stand before my gates and be judged

Jane Burrows

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:30:41 pm »
A robust health & safety policy will be required by most of the reputable building companies, you well need risk assessments, method statements and fairly comprehensive insurance. Check you contracts carefully make sure you know what you are committing to. The Safecontractor scheme is a good one to sign up to.

dmckellar

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 11:21:59 pm »
thanks for the input guys

i am currently CSCS and safecontractor registered :) (thats how i am on the site i am on currently) CHAS is my next step or constructionline

Insurance is both public liability and employers liability for up to 10 million

risk assessments, ladder inspection records and method statements all present and up to date - just need a surveyor to give me 5 minutes of their time to let me prove what i can do, its harder than it seems!