Timmy Boy

Expectations of an area supervisor
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:03:22 pm »
Good evening too you all
I am looking for a little bit of advice on our expectations for a regional supervisor.We have tried various different types of people in this role but it never seems to work. We have tried employing full time, part-time, men, women, people with management experience, people with cleaning experience and no-one really wants to give us the sort of commitment we need. We  need the person to complete site audits, deliver stock, train new staff members, organise holiday cover etc etc and have tried paying varying wages. The latest plan was to employ a mum who wanted to find a job that fitted around her kids but she has come to us after 3 months and says that because the job comes with a mobile it affects her home life when someone rings in sick! Do you guys have a morning supervisor and a evening one or someone who is flexible and works at either end of the day. Also what sort of money are you having to pay to get the right attitude? Any responses would help a great deal.
Regards
Tim

Denise l

Re: Expectations of an area supervisor
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:59:03 pm »
You need a morning and an evening supervisor if you have enough contracts. Best suited to someone who is already working but wants to supplement their earnings. Do a run schedule, days, times etc so you know where they are at a particular time. You also need a bank of cover cleaners on a list with tel nos so your supervisor can ring for cover when needed. You probably need someone with this kind of experience. Tried the recruitment agencies? I did all this for years.

Denise

Scotbrite

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:40:11 pm »
Hi Tim,
Just don't think you have found the right person as yet. I also did this job for about 15years & to be honest you need someone who sees the job as part of their life, for want of any better way to put it. My phone rang from 6 in the morning till 10 at night but i didn't see it as an intrusion, it was necessary if i wanted to do the job right. A lot of people these days want to get paid for doing what they think needs to be done, not what you think needs done. You will be paying good money for the right person so make sure the interview is very very thorough & even have them in a couple of times to make sure, try to get inside the person to see what there character is, that is more important than what they want to tell you. Hope this helps,
Cheers
Ron

clarkson

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:11:05 am »
Hi Tim,
Just don't think you have found the right person as yet. I also did this job for about 15years & to be honest you need someone who sees the job as part of their life, for want of any better way to put it. My phone rang from 6 in the morning till 10 at night but i didn't see it as an intrusion, it was necessary if i wanted to do the job right. A lot of people these days want to get paid for doing what they think needs to be done, not what you think needs done. You will be paying good money for the right person so make sure the interview is very very thorough & even have them in a couple of times to make sure, try to get inside the person to see what there character is, that is more important than what they want to tell you. Hope this helps,
Cheers
Ron

Hi Tim
I agree you need to find the right person, as of yet not there.  I think this is the most difficult role to fill, if they are as good as you need thet want management 25k and a car , if they settle for less they probably not the proffessional you need.

On balance i have found promoting from the ranks is better than recruiting from scratch unless you offer top money. Then you will headhunt from another organisation.

When interviewing for cleaning operatives i try and select candidates who may develop into supervisors, ie good communicators, quick thinkers, presentable, driver etc.

cheers

john

Phild

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:10:23 pm »
Hi Tim,

some of our best AM's came up from the tools. We get a likely person to work as a mobile supervisor under an AM then when they start to show what they are made of get them to start smaller jobs and give them them to look after with their original AM as a mentor. It's slow but solid and you can end up with someone who really cares about your business because you care about them. That is worth it's weight in gold when competitors think its simply a matter of offering them a few extra quid to work for them.

Best of luck.

p.s I have also found ex-pub trade good,