Michelle F

Please help me understand how to expand.
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:17:24 pm »
I recently started a domestic cleaning business with the intention of filling a couple of days a week. It is going better than I ever expected and am now in a position where I am going to have to start turning away any more prospective clients as I do not have the time slots available for them.

I have been researching taking on another person and cannot find a solution.

At the moment I could probably pass on around 5 hrs work to someone which doesn't sound much but would be ideal for someone wanting something to fit around their kids. I cannot go through everything that is required to employ someone just for 5 hrs work, although I appreciate it may be that more work would come in and their hours would increase.

I've looked at taking someone who is self employed and would deal with their own tax returns but according to HMRC if I tell someone where/when to work and am paying them an hrly rate (which I would, I would pay them less than I charge the client and keep the difference) then they would actually be classed as employed.

If I took on a sub contractor, then I don't see how I would get to keep any of the hourly rate and they could take my clients.

How does Molly Maids, etc work? They're always advertising for self employed cleaners but if they're telling them where/when to work then I don't understand how they can class them as such.

Thanks

Michelle F

Re: Please help me understand how to expand.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:19:30 pm »
Sorry, wrong board!

seldaw

Re: Please help me understand how to expand.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:18:32 pm »
Hi I thing I am right by saying most of the companies who take on self employed act as agents. ie the client pays the agent either  a monthly fee or like a finders fee. the client then pays the cleaner direct that's how they get around the self employed bit.

Cheers
Steve