M W.

Kiln dried sand £££££££££££££££££
« on: March 25, 2012, 05:50:48 pm »
just bought my first batch of kiln dried sand  >:( absolutely wounded at the price increase
was paying last year £2.98 bag. yesterday 1 - 9 bags £4.36, 10 and over £4.26. b&q. you guys got any secret suppliers. or have i to visit my local sand dunes and sieve for the stuff  ???

Matt Gibson

Re: Kiln dried sand £££££££££££££££££
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:49:32 pm »
Yeah, your not alone mate.

B & Q used to do their own brand stuff, was a nice yellowy colour too.

They stopped doing it apparently and now only do some other brand, the colour is really grey, and when you drop it on the blocks, its coats them with dust. Rubbish. And its not cheap either.

Try jewsons.. Or TP do some good stuff, but TP up here are few and far between.

Wickes stuff is the greyish colour too but is nowhere near as dusty as the new b&q stuff.

Trial an error, but the prices are pretty much the same wherever you go, unless you can store a pallet load of the stuff?

M W.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:02:54 pm »
yeah , it seems very dusty and an dirty colour. the old b/q stuff were lighter but occasionally damp.

this new stuff is properly sealed, no damp but too big ££££££££££££.

Sand dunes for us  :-X

Roger Oakley

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:33:27 pm »
I have never bought from the big diy sheds, builders merchants only for me, open an account and get a rate set, colour is also consistent and I have never had a damp batch.

M W.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:35:30 pm »
tried sml diy type shops, problem is they dont buy wagon loads of the stuff like b&q etc.
need the stuff so will have to buy at whatever cost, just costing us more to make the same.

Blast Away

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 06:52:54 pm »
Lafarge are supplying B&Q. I came across them last week and it's shiite. All the bags were compact and damp, opened a bag and it had tiny stones in. Ended up going to Wickes one day and Travis Perkins another. TP's is a nice shade but were about £4.56 a bag. I only bought 6 so didn't benefit from a bulk discount, if there even is one for 10+.

M W.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:07:18 pm »
Lafarge are supplying B&Q. I came across them last week and it's shiite. All the bags were compact and damp, opened a bag and it had tiny stones in. Ended up going to Wickes one day and Travis Perkins another. TP's is a nice shade but were about £4.56 a bag. I only bought 6 so didn't benefit from a bulk discount, if there even is one for 10+.

Yeah lafarge are supplying B&Q with smaller compact damp proof bags. defo smaller/compact but aint damp proof. bought 10 bags sat morning 4 where damp. boils your p*$". paying top dollar for glorified sharp sand. yeah noticed sml stones. very dusty aswell. in fact it is dust.

They have brung the price down in my local B&Q store to £3.55 bag. duno if thats due to it being poope or poor weather and nobodys buying it. bought two bags from homebase last  week aswell. £4.40 bag. and low and be hold damp  >:(

Roger Oakley

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:35:38 pm »
MW
I use BuildCentre soon to all be Jewsons, for KDS, Told them what rate I wanted to pay, they agreed, all the KDS is dry same colour, no split bags etc, and a lot cheaper then the sheds.
Might be worth setting up an account with them.

M W.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 09:21:09 pm »
MW
I use BuildCentre soon to all be Jewsons, for KDS, Told them what rate I wanted to pay, they agreed, all the KDS is dry same colour, no split bags etc, and a lot cheaper then the sheds.
Might be worth setting up an account with them.

cheers Ro. will pursue. Quite an issue with me this, best o luck

Griffus

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:26:56 am »
Never pay more than £3 inc VAT and this drops to £2.50 for 20 bags +.

Only use two local suppliers though. I think from memory that Edwards are similar in price, or at least they were a few years ago.

AC Pressure

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 02:38:12 pm »
I buy my bags fron Selco Kiln dried maxi bags at £2.35 each plus vat these are fine for the work i do.
How big are the bags you get from B&Q

clarkson

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 10:20:17 am »
just bought my first batch of kiln dried sand  >:( absolutely wounded at the price increase
was paying last year £2.98 bag. yesterday 1 - 9 bags £4.36, 10 and over £4.26. b&q. you guys got any secret suppliers. or have i to visit my local sand dunes and sieve for the stuff  ???

hi mw
 yeh i agree just had 60 bags from bq although i paid 3.86 for 10 bag loads? 

still heavy!! i dont think there 25kg either maybe 20.

did you have the yellow lafarge ones?

going to look around at builders merchants for next job.

john

mike roberts

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 06:28:04 am »
recently did a quote for customer who had cleaned re sanded her own drive. She purchased kiln dry from b&q, it was contaminated with cement, supplier has been out and its going thro insurance. They didnt even check batch to remove any remaining stock, as said prev worth opening an account with yard far cheaper plus graded far better hence colour ismore consistant

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 01:31:16 pm »
My mate doe's pressure cleaning and he's been to quote for redoing a drive after using sand from bnq and it was bnq who phoned him to look so there must be a lot of contaminated sand from there. this was near Blackpool.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

mike roberts

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 10:04:57 pm »
My mate doe's pressure cleaning and he's been to quote for redoing a drive after using sand from bnq and it was bnq who phoned him to look so there must be a lot of contaminated sand from there. this was near Blackpool.

Thanks for that will pass it on to my customer - b&q  are refusing to deal with it passing it onto their supplier, if it was down to me I would be all over them ... purchased from them they sort it .. full stop - But down to custy as long as I get paid  ;D